1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

690 Rally Replica questions...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by F650Dakar_Norway, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Write" up? I don't write anymore, video is the new way dude, so much more informative and visual :-)
  2. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^Agreed!!

That time lapse assembly video was a good one.
  3. Trondgv

Trondgv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey. The last few months I've been thinking about buying a 690/701 and rebuild with an omega kit or a similiar one. But the last weeks I've fallen in love with the RFR. Lyndon is the one to blame for this. Today I ride a F650GS Dakar and to be honest the engine is pretty boring. I came from a 690 Duke R with the rally cam, exhaust, mapping etc so I know that engine pretty well. I ride somewhere around 20,000km every season. Anything from commuting to work, gravel touring, twisties and had my first trip to the alps last year. In september this year I thinking about a Marocco trip aswell and I am dreaming about a gravel trip mainly on the TET lasting a few months.

Now as you know my kind of riding I want to ask you:

Is the 690RFR a suitable bike for my type of riding? (Please say yes..:jack)
    Is the service intervals on a RFR ridicilous like enduro bikes, or is it just a beefed up 690 like my Duke that needs some extra attention?
    Luggage options? Is a "sausage" like the Giant Loop Coyote bags the best choice? I don't need much when riding. A cooking set, my hammock and some clothes and I am good to go.
  4. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a fully preped 690 with 450rfr kit on it and found it a bit bulky for the more technical trails on TET. I have now sold it and find my ccm 404 and husaberg 501 a lot more enjoyable to ride the trails
  5. RedBallRun

RedBallRun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In short:
    Yes
    No
    Yes

I use an RFR as an adventure bike but lowered about 1" and have happily used it on the TET in UK, France and Spain. Two of the Linesmen (Oleksii and Rusty) have 690 RFRs and Shaun took his down to the Italian TET and it ate up both motorway and trail. Luggage-wise, I use the GL Coyote. Mirek of http://www.xcountry.pl/index.php/en/ is working on RFR adapted soft panniers.

There's a good write up options here: http://www.transeurotrail.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=189&start=10#p827

The big issue is finding one that's for sale as for most they are keepers!
    Trondgv likes this.
  6. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2007 RFR and I’m one of the Linesmen
    For me it’s a perfect bike, but TET is diversified a lot! Some places (like Scandinavia) are perfect together with RFR, others (like muddy Carpathian days in Ukraine or Romania for example) needs some nerves, skills, balls of steel and half empty fuel tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trondgv likes this.
  7. bigboyxl

Oddometer:
    Few pictures with my RFR from last year TETing on the North:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

max dexter, josip01 and Trondgv like this.
  8. Trondgv

Trondgv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Norway so that sounds good! I know there is a handfull of RFR owners in Norway, might get one of them sometime. :) There is also one for sale now for 195k NOK.

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
  9. bigboyxl

Oddometer:
    195k NOK (I guess 20k euro that is) is not bad at all considering the number of bikes built...
    depends on condition of course...
    I have a feeling that half of “alive” RFRs are living in Norway

Trondgv likes this.
  10. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love this engine but the ongoing rocker issue's made me sell.
    If there was a fix I would buy another.
  11. bigboyxl

Oddometer:
    How about changing the top-end on the latest 2017+ 690 duke / 701 SM&Enduro parts?
    Not cheap of course - the only question is how much your peace of mind costs?

12. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new head doesn't fit in the old frames. I looked at that possibility.
  13. maden

maden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello guys!

I`m in the process of buying a RFR.
    Problem beeing that good condition 690s are geting hard to find. 450s (carb 2011-2014) on the other hand are plentifull in almost unused condition.

Will a 450 be good for mixed adventure use, or is the 690 engine preffered with the extra torque?

One possibility I`m also considering is to buy a 450 and swap the engine for a 690. Anyone know if this is possible?
    As far as i know the frames are allmost identical. Is there any modifications required to swap the engine?
    Does the 690 and 450 use the same carb?

What do you guys think:
    -Buy 690 in what ever condition i can afford and refirbish.
    -Buy 450, use it as is and be happy.
    -Buy 450 and swap to 690 engine.

TT
  14. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Envious you can plate those things in Norway. Where are you finding used 450s?
  15. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    Hi @maden,

Was in the same thought process a year back when I purchased my RFR... and decided to ride out my 450´s engine before I do a swap to a 690. I dont regret having made the decision. You also have to factor in cost of the transfer, which after bike purchase really starts to add up. Look up my rebuild thread.

PM if you have any questions.

BTW, you will love the bike!
  16. maden

maden Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi OM!

Thank you for the reply.

Have you tested both the 690 RFR and the 690 enduro? How does the 450 engine compare to the 690?
    I read your build thread. Nice descriptions and very cool bike! What do you think of it with more time for testing?

What service intervals are you applying?

TT
  17. OM

OM Owners Manual

Oddometer:
    I have not ran a 690 RFR. I had a 690 E which I adventurized and enjoyed very much. They are very different bikes in terms of ride feel, maintenance intervals, workability and reliability. Fuel delivery system is different as well.

Regard to engine, the 450 is a smaller displacement engine and there is no hiding that, but it is a race engine and there is no hiding that either. I just use the clutch a bit more and look for that mid-top range. Cruising speed is hindered a bit as well, but thats more to do with the transmission and can be compensated somewhat with the gearing.

You must know its a race bike and in such, it takes some getting used too if your not coming from that world.
  18. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Any know the differences between the pistons fron 2008 to 2010
    Is the 2008 cast
    And 2010 forged?
  19. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fitted a 2017 husky 701 engine too my 07 rfr,tiny mod required too 5th frame spar and some other small mods.Running the oem billet clutch/41mm fcr/oem oil cooler. 003.JPG 002.JPG
    dooby, Fabnut and F650Dakar_Norway like this.
  20. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Come on tell us more , !!!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk