690 Stand censor broken

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by OtwayRider, Feb 22, 2015.

1. OtwayRider

OtwayRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Broken down with the KTM690 stand censor busted, does anybody know a quick fix to get going..2014 KTM690R
  2. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
  3. OtwayRider

OtwayRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Busted, squashed, hit big rock, sheered the bolts off, cant get it going via connecting wires, any other way of bypassing this switch?
  4. Wansfel

Oddometer:
  5. OtwayRider

OtwayRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2014 690R has Red/Black/Blue wires.
  6. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    I'll eyeball my 2010 in the morning to see if I can come up with a MacGyver solution.
  7. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a Hall sensor, so the wires cannot be simply shorted to get it to work.
  8. OtwayRider

OtwayRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pretty dumb part to put on an enduro bike...this is not something that should stop a bike with no trail fix solution. :shog
  9. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Look down by your gear lever, just in front is your gear position sensor, follow the wires up to the connector up on the frame just above the engine, disconnect the plug and locate the green and black wire coming down from the ECU side of the plug, if you earth that out the bike will think it is in neutral and it will run and drive albeit with neutral map fuel setting which will be lower power than usual but it will get you home.
    This also bypasses the clutch switch protection and will permanently put the neutral light on so make sure you are definitely in neutral before hitting the starter.

When you get home get the KTM Sidestand eliminator plug or read up on the internet about using a resistor.

Check out my preventative maintenance tips in the guides I did below in my sig line and you shouldn't get caught out again.

Andy
  10. OtwayRider

OtwayRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok awesome, thanks Andy
  11. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    So it appears. A Hall effect sensor is connected to a voltage and ground with a sensing line to the ECU and essentially drops the voltage on the sensor line to the ECU when in vicinity of the magnet. Not sure what value of resistor would work between the sensor line and ground, but shorting the sensor line to the ground line should work.

(Disclaimer: this is academic information and NOT subjected to thorough field testing....yet.)

[​IMG]
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have heard of others using a strong magnet successfully. Hopefully your housing/sensor is not so trashed that you couldn't tape a magnet to it.

I carry a magnet just in case.
  13. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    I dug out the meters and disconnected the plug to the side stand sensor. Using clip leads to make the connections and access the wires, the sensor (pink) line is +/- 5v as is the power source (blue). Black is ground. When extending the side stand the sensor voltage drops to about half or 2.5 volts. Shorting the sensor line to ground (pink to black) was no go.

Disconnecting the plug and inserting (on the ECU side) a 1.8k ohm resistor across the pink to black drops the voltage on the sense line to the required 2.5 volts and effectively bypasses the side stand functionality.

Disclaimer, your bike, do as want. No long term data here, its only 5 minutes of testing thus far. As for me, I've already been caught by the misaligned sensor once so I will probably make this a permanent fix before I disappear into the boonies.