690R carburetor conversion mod.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Feb 27, 2011.

1. outbacktm

outbacktm Bullrun Bison Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well my buddy who is a carb aficionado his conclusion is that the fuel pump needs to be changed as flow and pressure is too great of course we knew that already
    Looks like the pump I bought maybe a Chinese knock off even though it is marked Mikuni, I will purchase the correct pump from a reliable source .
    We spent about 45 minutes running through the electrical issue, what we discovered is the starter has 12 V but it’s not turning over, I will remove check the Bendix and then replace if needed
    Again changing symptoms have been frustrating but I sense I’m getting close to A running bike
    Strictly for posterity purposes I would like to reiterate this was a non-running bike when I started as it had an electrical gremlin that could not be diagnosed by several certified mechanics and a KTM factory mechanic from Austria it to no avail
  2. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the OEM pump might be pricey, but theres definitely some wisdom in that old saying 'buy once, cry once', cos the problem with buying chinese SHIT, is you get away with it once & you think youre ahead of the game, but ultimately it'll bite you in the arse, guaranteed.
    outbacktm likes this.
  3. outbacktm

Oddometer:
    I do my best to make no Chinese product purchases, seller advertised it as genuine Minuki, but it was priced at $14
    Was able to get the starter and off sure enough the starter is bad.
    Starting to feel hope rise once again
    Going to see about rebuilding the starter and purchasing correct fuel pump.
    Fabnut likes this.
  4. outbacktm

Oddometer:
    Starter is at the rebuilder, new pump on the way
    Fabnut likes this.
  5. outbacktm

Oddometer:
    Might be my last post here, received the 690 RR fuel pump and other bits Friday, installed and sure enough works like a charm, All the starting issues were being caused by a battery that tested voltage wise good but was not supplying enough amps. The shop that looked at the starter for me reported it was great shape working correctly.
    Instrument cluster was not working so I ordered trail tech vapor unit installed it all is good.
    I have a buddy who is an old time motocrosser and has been advising me some, he said the issue would be something simple and I would feel stupid when I discovered it, true words when I discovered the electrical issues were all related to the battery.
    Absolutely love the bike took it for a proper rip yesterday
    Thanks to all especially fabnut for the encouragement and coaching.
    JensEskildsen likes this.
  6. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it sorted Outback :D

Put up some pics of this carbed weapon
    outbacktm likes this.
  7. outbacktm

Oddometer:
    I most definitely will as soon as I get all of her clothes back on
  8. outbacktm

Oddometer:
    33722F81-04FE-4817-B1BB-CF26D273490D.jpeg
    Here she is right before her maiden rip as a Carby
    I just couldn’t wait lots of anticipation
    Wonderful power to weight ratio going to make it easy to sell the 950 super Enduro
    I’m going to add the Clake left-hand brake and clutch lever and maybe a Rekluse we will see
    Last night after the rip I routed the brake line rally style
    Now to fab up a tool compartment where the old airbox used to sit I may use the old airbox modified or fab something else up
  9. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done mate, Im happy for you. After all the shenanigans stuffing round, at the very least it was a validation that your wiring was spot on hey
    outbacktm likes this.