690R carburetor conversion mod.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Deadmanonduty

Deadmanonduty n00b

Oddometer:
    Its actually going in a ATV. Some call them bikes, some quads, etc! lol

A guy I know did this, but he used the Fuel injection and desert races his. I'd prefer to run the carb instead if possible.
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    there is a Ktm part catalog SKU number 3208200 that is... a spare part catalog it lists all the molex type connectors used by KTM...

found it..
    www.cycletownsouth.net/Spare_Parts_Manual/ktm spare connectors.pdf

the part numbers go from 000.70.000.AA to 000.70.000.CR

I would guess it would be simple to find the pin out colors/spots and get the propper connector to fit the rally ecu
  3. Deadmanonduty

Deadmanonduty n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking thru the KTM parts diagrams, I can not find a part number for the RR wiring harness. Are they available anywhere? I looked and they don't show up on the diagrams. Any clue on where to find this?
    Thanks
  4. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for the 690RR harness, then:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17201636&postcount=262
  5. Deadmanonduty

Deadmanonduty n00b

Oddometer:
  6. Deadmanonduty

Deadmanonduty n00b

Oddometer:
    The part number can't be found on the ktm parts sites I looked at. I wonder if the wiring harness is not available anymore? :ddog
  7. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    It's a rally part, they often don't show up in the normal catalog. Any competent dealer should be able to special order it for you.

In Europe the harness is about $550, are you sure that's they way you want to go? At that price you might be better off making a custom one or getting one made. Then you can be sure that everything is where you want it to be, the 690RR is different in other ways as well.
  8. Deadmanonduty

Deadmanonduty n00b

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to convert my 690 EFI harness to the RR harness? (I guess I mean relatively easily?) It looks complicated and I really don't know what wires go where, so making one would be trial and error and I would likely end up with a huge frustrating piece that doesn't work! :rofl

I read that the RFS ignition will work with this 690. Can anyone shed some light on that for me. I am putting this engine in a quad that had a RFS engine in it, so the whole ignition system is sitting in the quad. What would I need to do to make that RFS ignition work on this 690 with the carb?

Sorry for all the questions.:*sip* I'm trying to read and research as much as possible on my own, but these questions don't seem to be answered anywhere that I looked so far. Oh, the fun of a custom project! lol
    Thanks again for all your input, I appreciate it greatly.
  9. Dazed Productions

Dazed Productions Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Dazed Productions

Oddometer:
    If you can wait, I will post details of my custom loom when it's made and tested
    outbacktm likes this.
  11. Deadmanonduty

Deadmanonduty n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry I got ahead of myself. I've had a few days off and I'm scrounging around for info and getting excited (and ahead of myself)! I'm now realizing that you guys haven't had much time to perfect this yet. Most of the threads I read thru were from years ago and I mistakenly assumed that many of you had already conquered this swap. I'm all about helping you figure this out! If I can help you in any way, please let me know. (even tho I'm a green-horn)

If you get a harness made, I'd love to hear about it, or better yet make yourself a nice profit and sell me one! :D

I'll sit back and wait for your progress reports, thanks for sharing all your hard work!
  12. beba

beba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have really experience with rebuilding 690 from EFI to carburetor!
    Two years ago I had problem with temperature sensor. Computer thinking, that engine was hot and stop engine. I can start only to idle, I cannot accelerate and I must wait that engine cool down. It was happen in dunes in Tunis, 70km from piste. And sun still went down to horizont….
    Also my friend has problem with sand. He has dirty filter and sand in tank. Small pieces of sand destroyed fine fuse in injection.
    After this I change EFI to carburetor.
    - All wires I put down
    - I installed new wires
    - I have only 3 fuses
    - CDI from Czech company Ignitech
    - Carburetor from RallyReplica
    - I don’t have key, only swith
    - I have only ICO computer
    My experience is perfect. Power has very fast start from idle – carburetor has acceleration pump. It is easy to clean it from sand. In time I has only problem with CDI. Inside CDI is small transistor/tyristor etc. and if is hot sometime not work. I change CDI and I don’t have any problem.
    There is picture from power test. Left is carburetor, right is EFI.
    [​IMG]

Today I both new 690 2012. There is new part – sensor for oil pressure. There is picture; I can consider if good idea is.
    [​IMG]

Also this new bike I change to carburetor.

[​IMG]
  13. Dazed Productions

Oddometer:
    Well, it's been a busy weekend but I have finally finished my carb conversion. I believe mine is the third ignitech powered carb conversion(this is what ignitech told me). Happy with it so far, sounds and feels much more like a carbed bike!

Didn't have any daylight left so pics will follow:

Carb is a Khein 41mm from a 2007 450sx (gen 3). It is jetted with 2008 rally replica settings.

Tank was converted using the plate from a 450 rally replica. Fuel pump is from a rally replica (with plate). Inlet track vacuum pickup from 690 rally

I am using a modified standard air box. The temp sensor plate was removed and covered over with carbon fibre patch. Intake uses a 690 rally manifold both on engine and airbox side. The rally manifold is designed to mate with a tube so I built a carbon fibre inlet tube to mate with this. Airbox was cut to allow this to enter and join sealed with sugru (google it!).
    Finally, the carb fouls on the bottom of the airbox. Some space was created by heating and deforming the box. One area i ended up cutting out and putting a dent in the box using carbon fibre.

As stated before, ignition was from ignitech, supplied complte with pre-loaded map. I added a wire for my tacho. This is an inductive ignition system that works with the stock coil. It fits nicely in one of the holes one of the ECUs lived in.

I laid the carb wiring loom over the existing. Once I got to the point of removing the two FI ecus, you need to make some wiring mods. Firstly you need to remove the aux. Start relay to allow it to start. Secondly you need to power up the power relay. I ran this off the kill switch just like the standard bike (but without the ecus interference). I ran the ignition from the fuel injection circuit.

I did have some issues with the clocks, worked to begin with then stopped responding. I was changing them anyway so not sure if this was loose cabling or an underlying issue. I changed the front to a 690 rally nav tower (raid designs clamp) and changed clocks to trail tech speedo with separate tacho. I replaced all the idiot lights.

It does start much more easily now! When i removed my FI fuel pump I found the pump rattling around in the tank which probably didn't help.
  14. Dazed Productions

Oddometer:
    Right, some pictures:
    First off, one of the airbox showing the two carbon fibre patches and the inlet
    [​IMG]
    Some more angles
    [​IMG]
    Rear of the box
    [​IMG]

last one showing the carb protrusion into the box[​IMG]

And onto the good stuff, completed bike showing off the fuel pump, carb and routing
    [​IMG]
    Her mug
    [​IMG]
    Nav tower with custom CF dashboard
    [​IMG]
    Other side
    [​IMG]

Under seat, note redundant ECU plugs and the Ignitech ECU to the right of them and missing relay.
    [​IMG]
    Finally another one of her mug with her sister in the background
    [​IMG]
  15. blakrj

blakrj Need to ride

Oddometer:
    Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
    Looking good. As an aside, who makes the tower and fairing? I've got on from Rally Raid, but really want to swap the light out for a couple of HID projectors and wondered what it all looks like behind the screen. If you've got some photos, would appreciate if you could put them up.
  16. Dazed Productions

Oddometer:
    The nav tower is KTM OEM from the 690 rally, it is held on using a raid designs bracket. I bought the projector lamps individually as standard hella items rather than KTM ones, only difference I can see is I had to tap out the mounting holes to take the larger thread of the KTM bits (from memory, one lamp is M6 and one M8). Compared to aftermarket nav towers, the KTM one is not that bad and its a nice piece of engineering. I used random adjusting rods as KTM charge the earth for those.
    Its only just been finished, don't have any pictures of the tower naked. Note these are halogen projector lights and not HID.
  17. blakrj

blakrj Need to ride

Oddometer:
    Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
    Many thanks for the info. Noted on the halogens. Seem to recall the OEM ones are from Hella too. Was thinking about trying to mount up some FX-R projectors with HIDs but need to fabricate a bracket to mount them.
  18. Dazed Productions

Oddometer:
    I am not being clear, yes the OEM are the 60mm hellas, one high beam with side light and one dipped (either left or right dip depending on your localisation). The OEM is a Hella part but I bought an off the shelf Hella. The difference is that the KTM Hella will be modified for the correct threading on the mounting points. I saved a bit of money by buying the standard lamp and only worked out the difference when I got it and all the KTM bits.
  19. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 41mm Keihin FCR carb off of ebay for $170. Figured I would try out the carb setup on the bike as my stock harness is such a mess and I would like to get away from the stock computer. Knew I could go the megasquirt route or the Vortex but didin't feel like slapping down $800 all at once for the vortex or $1500 ish plus dyno time on the Microsquirt. I'll work through the carb setup and see how it goes. Can always do something else. Custom wiring harnesses all around :D
  20. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what computer are you going to use to run the ignition? Probably also will require a low pressure fuel pump given that fuel level in the tanks would be below the carb.

Why not build a new wiring harness from scratch.? :D