690R carburetor conversion mod.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Ignas

Ignas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best way to use oscilloscope and compare how different signal are. Or you could measure resistance with multimeter.
    What i dont like about your flywheel is 2 spots that i marked red. It looks like there are aditional steps that might interfere with pickup.

Attached Files:

2. Michał 123

Michał 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will try to remove these 2 points tomorrow but I do not know if it will give me something slowly I start to lose strength
  3. Michał 123

Michał 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tomorrow he will install another pulser and try to check the spark
  4. Ignas

Ignas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It might be that there is no spark until specific rpm, so screwdriver test isnt working. Best way to use oscilloscope (it should show if it picks that 2 spots).

I fully understand you, have made lots of projects that took way too much time and energy. And thats why i decided to go ignitech cdi route just to change less parts.
  5. Michał 123

Michał 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have this engine in the quad and I wanted not to replace a lot of parts original polaris outlaw 525 electrical installation and I thought that I would be able to do it Magneto and I do not know if ignitech is available in Poland
  6. Michał 123

Michał 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i don't have an oscilloscope and i can't even operate it
  7. Ignas

Ignas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ignitech ships from Czechia worldwide, its pricey (about 30euro i think) to Lithuania, so it should be similar or cheaper to Poland.
    Try removing those 2 spots and check height of tabs on original magneto and your machined one.
  8. Michał 123

Michał 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I check the spark without the stator and rotor cover, maybe I am making a mistake?
  9. Michał 123

Michał 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the tabs on the original and reworked magnet are the same height
  10. Ignas

Ignas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stator is just a 3 phase alternator for charging battery, as long as battery is charged there should be spark.
    For now the only thing that comes to mind is that 2 spots that needs machining.
  11. Michał 123

Michał 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    in your opinion the tabs don't have to be magnetized or something? can it be ordinary steel the sensor detects steel? I will add that at the beginning I removed the tabs from the original wheel and left one and there was also no spark
  12. Ignas

Ignas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its just regular steel as far as i know.
    If you have 525 engine you could measure resistances of pickup coil when rotating flywheel and compare that to 690. It might be that 690 is different resistance and thats why it isnt working. When there are a lot of tabs on oem 690 flywheel it generates something to engage spark.
  13. Michał 123

Michał 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I do not have a 525 engine, but I am thinking about buying a pulser from 525, maybe it would help if plotting these points will not help
  14. Ignas

Ignas Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Michał 123

Michał 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    maybe this is the problem in your opinion, the pulser from the Polaris Outlaw 525 will work on such a long tab on the converted magnet or will it have to be the same length as in the Polaris 525?
  16. Ignas

Ignas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its difficult to say, because you have to compare 525 and 690 spark advance maps. Then add different tab positions to that.
    And i think you wont find 525 map. As i wasnt able to find newer 690 maps. Asked couple tuners and none of them are willing to share that.
  17. Michał 123

Michał 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In your opinion, I will be able to start it on this electric from 525? or rather a poor chance?
  18. Ignas

Ignas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It might start but dont know about running right. To make everything perfect you have to measure 525 pickup location on engine with degree wheel, know ignition timing and then do the same on 690 engine.
    And the worst thing is that you cant adjust timing easily.
    Thats why (in my opinion) its cheaper to buy ignitech and just ride it.
  19. Michał 123

Michał 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ignitech will approach the Polaris 525 installations or only the original 690 installations?
  20. Ignas

Ignas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It can run with less than 10 wires and picks up oem 690 flywheel signals. You could cut wires near polaris cdi and connect it. Older 690 ignition maps are available.
    This is pinout of ignitech cdi.
    http://www.ignitech.cz/zdroj/en/vyrobky/tcip/manual/KTM690.doc

forum member "Finnswed" is using ignitech but hasnt replied to my message yet.
    If you go ignitech way, please document everything.
    Finnswed, outbacktm and jesusgatos like this.