690R carburetor conversion mod.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks Johnno, been a long time coming this one & hopefully I can keep all my ducks stay in a row
  2. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Seth, be great if they were able to help, but its no biggy if not Im happy with what I got to be honest
  3. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    I aquired another inmates bike a couple of weeks ago which is setup running on microsquirt and it works well. The microsquirt manages the fuel and ignition and it uses the stock ignition system though the flywheel gets slightly modified for the timing mark. a microsquirt controller is about $250 off the shelf so its a nice price and well proven in the bike and automotive world...it also doesnt require an expensive software package to tune.
  4. Seth S

Oddometer:
    it would be nice if there were a box available to run off the stock ignition components with no need to swap out flywheels etc...especially if there were something with its own harness so the entire stock one could be removed. My goal is to have independent harnesses for lights, charging, running, etc.
    outbacktm likes this.
  5. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When it all boils down to it Seth Im just a nuts & bolts bloke mate. I can bolt A to B, plug in C & thats about the extent of my expertise, maybe a little bit of very basic electrical theory, but thats it. When it comes to figuring out ways to trick ECU's or any of that software stuff, Im a bit out of my depth Im afraid, I just dont know enough about it all that to even contemplate going down that road.
    The mandate of this thread was to convert a 690 to carby, having successfully done that, I believe my work here is done, beyond that, I leave it to more learned individuals to ponder.
    tehdutchie likes this.
  6. Seth S

Oddometer:
    No worries...in the end I think we all want the same thing. I would love to see a system that would allow me to swap the stock computer for an ignition box and put my carb in and away I go.
    outbacktm likes this.
  7. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. toss

toss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey did you do last weekend quindanning run, I met a guy who was talking runt boy
  9. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Job Runtboy! I prefer the feel of carbs as well, especially in the KTM line.
  10. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks CollinsB, I reckon the FCR is as good as FI in nearly all respects IMO, but without all the peripheral bullshit & I'd be in with a fighting chance of fixing it trailside....no contest.
  11. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day Toss, yes it's me. Nice riding & chatting with you on Saturday, pity you couldn't stay sat night mate.
  12. Seth S

Oddometer:

I think we can do this conversion much simpler and much cheaper than has been done to date. I will be proving this out soon and will report. Essentialy you would keep your stock ignition and flywheel. Removed your old harness...or keep what parts of it you want to for charging, lights, etc. You still need the carb and the jetting but will use a microsquirt computer to handle the ignition timing. The stock flywheel needs to have one of the nubs machined off so the computer can find TDC....not sure if this will be the TDC mark or the one before.

wont need as many wires shown in this harness or even the injector.

[​IMG]

I like the stock airbox for deep water conditions but I think a good setup will be to run an elbow off the carb intake into a straight runner with an air horn...either using the stock airbox or a fabbed unit....length to be determined.
    outbacktm likes this.
  13. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    RB in this application a FCR is better the FI as it not as limited in fuel delivery especially if you increase displacement eg 654cc to 717cc via 2012 crank and 104mm piston

Just an idea how about a Vortex CDI for RFS they are programable
    Probably about the same cost as a Rally CDI

Just my 2c (AUD )
  14. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2c is good Mudguts, it all adds up............Ive sent an email to Vortex afew days ago, just awaiting their reply. Would be good to have something programmable for sure but Im just tickled Ive got what Ive got at the moment from a simplicity standpoint, anything else is a bonus.
  15. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Brilliant Seth, I commend your tenacity ol mate, Im very keen to see what you come up with
  16. Mudguts

Oddometer:
    I do know that there are maps for bigger displacement motor via vortex
    Not sure how the injector will cope .

I know Richard used a rally in his set up from the FI in fact johnno950 now owns that bike so I'm pretty sure he has a CDI set already
  17. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    interesting, Ill see what Vortex have to say, but if theyve already built one, you'd rekon I might be a shoe in to snaffle something then :wink:
  18. Seth S

Oddometer:
    If vortex has an ignition box to run off the stock flywheel that would be great...as long as it and its tuning software are not uber expensive
  19. Mudguts

Oddometer:
    $550 aud
  20. Seth S

Oddometer:
    For use with the stock flywheel?