7 Years of Deserts and Mountains 11/30

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by eaglescan, Oct 30, 2019.

1. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heart attack hill on Pinion Mtn. P1010019.JPG
    We had 20 ft of rope , so used that to lower bike down aways, then slid the rest.
    Wierdrider, Heatery, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  2. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    P1010024.JPG Ok, this will take time, I want to show pictures of places I rode. I heard if you scare yourself, you can live a day longer!
    So here's a few shots of my travels, only some of them scared me!
    OH. and add your best one's if you want.
  3. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    P1010030.JPG I have been riding the Anza Borrego desert for 12 years now. I like to ride the trails where Anza did in 1775 & 1776 from Mex. to San Francisco which he helped create. OK, celebrating survival of riding on my G 650 X Challenge.
    Heatery, black 8, Snake Oiler and 3 others like this.
  4. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    borrego 2013 041.JPG This is Coyote Canyon, just north of the small town of Borrego Springs , CA
    Anza went this way, if they were pulling wagons, it must have been tough. I didn't ride all of this, Boulders Scare me! borrego 2013 037.JPG
  5. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    This Culp Valley , up the Montazuma Grade , west of B.S. You can see the Salton Sea from here. Culp 2013 017.JPG Culp 2013 024.JPG
  6. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    Going back down to the desert, this is close to a place Anza camped with his clan. That would be 200 people, 800 head of cattle, goats , etc.
    They found water nearby, so good.The Anza Borrego desert is 750,000 acres. Culp 2013 001.JPG
  7. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    Found a map of the Anza Expedtion, I was lucky to ride the Yuha desert, it's just west of El Centro
    P1100298.JPG
    Heatery, Snake Oiler and klaviator like this.
  8. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    P1100269.JPG I took a chance and got close to these guys. Been here before, never got eaten, so NOT too scared
    Heatery, simbaboy, WYO George and 6 others like this.
  9. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    Mike Feb. 2013 023.JPG Mike Feb. 2013 025.JPG We rode up to the town of Anza and rode up Thomas Mtn. hit snow on the way, took the back way down to the 74. that road below is the Batista cyn trail , that was Juan's last name. From Anza along this road gets you to Hemet.
    Wierdrider, Heatery, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  10. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    2013 030.JPG Checking out trail near the Butterfield Stage route. There is Canyon sin Nombre, some sand, but hey it's the desert. So the mud towers were once under water a while back, like way back.
    2013 013.JPG 2013 029.JPG
    PS that's my dog, she is a Great Dane, Scary big.
    Hey, that caption should be under the Tower picture. . That's my lovely wife by the cactus. She lived in Borrego in ' 86 before I met her. Lucky I did, showed me the desert once, and been hooked every since.
    Don't go there, you won't like it.
    Also it is a dark sky town, really dark at nite= Scary
    Wierdrider, Heatery, simbaboy and 8 others like this.
  11. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    P1090591.JPG P1090588.JPG
    So I headed out to the Coral Wash, near Salton Sea. If it says Wash, probably going to be some sand. This is buddy Robert, I follow him sometimes. Hard to find riding partners that are retired.
    Not sure why I parked under that ledge, OK well it looked cool, but we are near the San Andres fault, so earthquake area. Lot's of shaking going on all the time at the south end of Salton.
    Wierdrider, Heatery, simbaboy and 6 others like this.
  12. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    P1090583.JPG This is a wash that started in the hills, called Tubb Cyn. and it runs down to the lowest spot around which is called the Borrego Sink. It would be the white area in the center of photo.
    It is like calcium and other deposits, nasty dust and soft , when I rode thru it, I was following a 4 x4 track. OK, I said let's going out on the virgin flat stuff. Bad idea, started to sink, lucky the 650 had power to get out, but you know it, got Scared again.
    P1090578.JPG
    Picture at top is near town and Christmas Circle, Anza went thru here
  13. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    P1090490.JPG P1090498.JPG P1090492.JPG View attachment 1969888 ATTACH=full]1969882[/ATTACH]

One day I headed for Split Mountian, and found Miquel Sylvestre, he is from Madrid, been on the road 5 years and done 85 countries. So I said I would show him Split. We only did 1/2 mile of Fish Creek, sand to deep for his loaded bike. I had him over for dinner that night, and next day rode some more. He was following an Old Spanish trail from Florida to San Diego in 7 Days, IMG_0949.JPG

tomorrow he would be in San Diego.
    So I showed him around and ended up in Julian for pie. We missed the line ups, that would have been scary
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to ride that area but only pavement at the time. I missed a lot.

Cool pics:thumb
    simbaboy and black 8 like this.
  15. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I must say you , Black 8 & Sealsam were an inspiration to finally learn how to post.
    simbaboy, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I take that as a big compliment!

There is some work involved in posted a ride report but I think it's worth it. It gives you a way to organize those pictures you took in a way that others can enjoy and that you can look back at in the future. These threads are also a great way to connect with other riding enthusiasts.

Looking forward to more of your posts.
  17. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    Hanging out in Hemet for awhile, headed for the hills and found this. There were a lot of branch roads, so alone I had to turn back. It was another trail, where you want to go just around the next corner or over a hill. But fear set in and I bailed.
    Hemet & Borrego 2014 005.JPG Hemet & Borrego 2014 016.JPG Hemet & Borrego 2014 024.JPG Hemet & Borrego 2014 045.JPG
    Wierdrider, Heatery, simbaboy and 5 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Did you try using the Edit function? On occasion I have had stuff I couldn't get rid of too.
  19. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    We headed out to find Sebastion Marsh, Anza spent a nite here for the water. Looks like some vultures are waiting for my X bike to breakdown. It didn't here, but it will another day, when I ride in Arizona
    Hemet & Borrego 2014 062.JPG Hemet & Borrego 2014 059.JPG
    Heatery, black 8, Effendi and 2 others like this.
  20. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    We rode to Jasper trail, I told Kurt it was a " B " track, he shows up in shorts and with his dog in a pouch. Turns out he was top trials rider in So Cal for years. He showed it too, down and up Jasper trail.
    Borrego misc.02.15 003.JPG Borrego misc.02.15 001.JPG Borrego misc.02.15 008.JPG Borrego misc.02.15 005.JPG

Forgot to mention Curios George don't scare very easy, he's always daring me to do dumb stuff!