70 yr old women calling herself the ‘Old Weed’ is having her longest ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Abosit, Feb 12, 2016.

1. arizona rick

arizona rick Chases squirrels

Oddometer:
    TURN LEFT NOW!!! Go to Arizona :-)
  2. KLRalph

KLRalph Because KTMalph sounds funny

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking us all along for the ride! What a fantastic RR, I look forward to your next one!
  3. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome home Abosit - good to have you back Stateside. We have another journey we'd like you to take - s/w Astir - August!! So rest up once you get home - so you can join us!
    Astir, KansasKawboy and ONandOFF like this.
  4. Luna Tique

Luna Tique dreamer of adventure

Oddometer:
    Tell softT I said hello
  5. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    Welcome Back Abosit !
  6. Turk34

Turk34 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome back from inspiring adventure! Did you use atm (any US bank atm card) to get money in S. America? I have a bank of america atm card and wondering if it works south of US...
  7. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Hope it is ok for me to answer? Any bank card will work fine in S. America assuming you have notified your bank of your traveling. However, I have found that some banks down there may not cooperate with your atm card, but that is a rare case. In my case, BanColombia didn't work with my atm so I settled for Citibank or Servibanco. Citibank of S.A. has recently be sold so I don't know what will happen with them.

Look into Charles Schwab's free online checking because you can use their atm card without paying for international fee (I imagine BoA may charge international fee too) With Charles Schwab's account, you can file for reimburse and receive full credit from Schwab's when other bank charges you atm fee. It requires only $1 deposit to get the ball going but when registering for account online, be sure you are doing that in the USA! My mistake was to register for an account while I was in caribbean island so it raised red flag and I had to make 2 hours trip to nearest Schwab's branch here in Raleigh NC to show 2 proof of ID and they were satisfied.
  8. Turk34

Turk34 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for details...
    Scubalong and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  9. Tom Blum

Tom Blum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another warning: My card wouldn't work in Mexico the first time, because I had set up the password with 6 numbers. Bank of America said no problem and it wasn't wth their branch in Florida. In Mexico, however, and, I believe, with most credit cards everywhere, only 4 digit passwords are permitted. On later trips, with 4 digit pass words, I had no problem.
  10. Turk34

Turk34 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot.. I did change my atm pw from 6 digits to 4 digit already...It is a really important info and tip...
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  11. Abosit

Abosit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turk34
    The response above are correct.
    I must add to that, the if you have a credit card with the new security chip, sometimes it does not work because the machines are not set up for that.
    Normally the larger banks will have more up to date machines. As for paying in hotels the cards with chip have worked fine.

I had a credit card and a debit card.
    In addition I had another set hidden and only for use if lost or stolen the first one.
    Because I was traveling on a low budget, I took cash out from an ATM machine (at a bank and under surveillance) for several days.
    Paid everything in cash, no risk of misuse/ hacking of you credit card, but people work with cash here. do not expect to pay with credit card at small food stores. I even paid my fuel in cash. Of course that is a small amount for a bike :)

You can take enough cash in one day to last for several days. There is a maximum per transaction and I noticed when I had to pay a large sum for shipping my bike, that you can withdraw at the same ATM machine more then once. So.... no worries not getting access of money.
    I also had some cash in $ hidden on my body, just in case I needed it in an emergency.
    Hope that helps.
  12. Abosit

Abosit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok after drying up from the wet ride.....

Sorry NO PICTURES .....

I had a short visit with family and friends in Dallas and today I moved on further North. Not strait I-35, but taking a detour through the Talimena National Scenic Byway, bordering Oklahoma and Arkansas.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/4...tional-Scenic-Byway.html#sthash.4oyP0FhA.dpbs

It was a beautiful sunny day with gorgeous landscapes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...still not done discovering new places, and these are in reach for you riders who live in the US..... :)
  13. Southern Girl

Southern Girl n00b

Oddometer:
    Welcome home. I will miss reading about your adventure & your wonderful pictures. I am still in awe of your courage and hope to be the rider you are. I enjoyed your posts very much, and thank you for sharing. :clap
    simmons1 likes this.
  14. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    You are indeed riding in beautiful country. Should you need assistance, while in NWA, or SW MO, all you have to do is ask :)
  15. ImaSoftT

ImaSoftT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    She did tell me and "Hello to you, too" sure wish you could have joined us. We had an awesome visit and even though Abosit arrived looking like a drowned pup, her spirit was not dampened at all.
    Gauner70 likes this.
  16. ImaSoftT

ImaSoftT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So glad you enjoyed the route, it is one of my favorites. And I can't wait for you to pass this way again. Ride safe my friend and KEEP POSTING.
  17. Turk34

Turk34 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks a lot for details and the tips...
  18. Abosit

Abosit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...another stretch heading North.......through some great landscapes and so different again....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and then into the Ozarks....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...arrived at a old friends house in Springfield, Mo...... here I just followed along into the fields to attend the farm chores...

[​IMG]

.....like checking on some happy cows....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....and some young piglets...:)

[​IMG]
    .... with blue eyes...
    [​IMG]
    ...funny little animals....

had another great day and little closer to home
  19. fuhgawee

fuhgawee Thats a road?

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report / ride.

In case its along your route. Hwy 19 in Missouri, way east of Springfield is a great motorcycle road. From Arkansas to I-70.
    KansasKawboy likes this.
  20. burley

burley alaskan wanderer

Oddometer:
    Glad your back in the states,your epic adventure, has been an inspiration to many,I've enjoyed you awsome ride reports, and the knowledge for up coming rides has helped us all ,hope you stay intouch and keep on rolling,enjoy home and rest up for the next ride,thanks again for such an grand adventure, and letting us in on it,you have inspired many ,