1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

701 Enduro rear brake problem

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by VI DSR, May 25, 2020.

1. VI DSR

VI DSR 950SM

Oddometer:
    Hi all! Had a pulsing brake pedal on ride home yesterday (after full day in the woods), & discovered that 2 of the 'buttons' were missing from my rear brake rotor, & a 3rd one looks like it's about to fail (see pics). Anyone else ever have this happen? I've had loads of bikes with floating rotors & never seen this before . The bike's a 2016 with about 18k kms & 370 hours. Normal wear & tear, or defective rotor? I've only had the bike since last fall; I presume this Galfer disc is not original equipment. 20200525_211103.jpg 20200525_213055.jpg
  2. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are clear signs of a significant impact on the rotor, between the two missing buttons. I suspect the rotor may have received enough side loading as a result of the impact that the buttons were compromised. If the damage occurred during your ownership, it seems a rotor guard would be worth buying and installing.

Also, what's up with the corrosion ? Looks like the bike has been ridden in a salty environment and the salt was left on the bike long enough to contribute to electrolytic corrosion. ( there is corrosion on the hub also )

From what can be seen in the photos, it is neither normal wear and tear nor a defective rotor. The rotor has been hit with something and the impact was hard enough to leave damage in the outer circumference of the rotor.

The rotor may well be bent, and that would contribute to the pulsing brake pedal ; as the bent area of the rotor passes through the brake caliper it would tend to knock the brake piston back and that would transmit a pulse to the brake pedal.

Abuse and neglect have consequences, and the blame for both lies with the owner / operator of the machine, rather than with the manufacturer of the parts which were subjected to abuse.
  3. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    +1
  4. VI DSR

VI DSR 950SM

Oddometer:
    Thx for the input. Your observations make sense. The rotor doesn't appear to be warped, & the pulsing only started on the way home Sunday (I'm presuming after the buttons fell out resulting in excessive side to side movement). The bike hasn't suffered any abuse since I've owned it (just 7 months), as I've never crashed it, & just ride FSR's & easy single tracks. I do wash it after every (dirt) ride & certainly never noticed any missing buttons (the deformation on the one can only be seen from the inside). Oh well, the cost of buying used I guess. Thx again.
  5. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never had a dirt bike I didn't abuse ,but then I actually rode them in the dirt and water and boulders that cause that kind on damage. So accusing somebody of abusing a dirtbike is stupid . Now neglect is another thing but knowing that by looking at a single pic of a damaged rotor is again petty. THIS GUY WAS ASKING FOR SOME ADVICE NOT A BEATING.
  6. Husky360C

Oddometer:

You're calling me stupid when I never even did what you are claiming I did. Your reading comprehension needs work !

I never accused the OP of abusing his bike. The rotor had been subjected to abuse, and perhaps it occurred before the OP even owned the bike.
    The point was and is that the rotor buttons came apart because the rotor took a hit, and not because the rotor was defective, which is what the OP was asking about.

I don't think the OP took offense at what I wrote, but if he did he didn't say anything to me. I cannot guess what is in the OP's mind if he says nothing to me. If the OP did take offense, I'll be happy to discuss it with him, and I absolutely will give him a sincere apology if he feels offended, but that is between me and the OP, and is not anyone else's business, unless some moderator gets involved, which I don't expect will happen because I have not committed any actual abuse or breach of the site rules.

Sometimes people confuse a statement that is direct and to the point for rudeness. Best to ask the person who wrote it what he meant before jumping to conclusions about what the writer actually meant. Otherwise you can jump to a conclusion that is erroneous, and things tend to get worse from there, when there is no factual reason for things to get worse.
  7. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    Read you're last sentence about abuse and neglect and the blame lies with the owner. Notice the word blame. The damage is all part of dirt riding,theres no blaming. Some people spend more time washing their bikes than riding them while others ride the stink out of them and dump them before they start costly repairs Neither is wrong or to blame,its just a mindset.
  8. Husky360C

Oddometer:

Obviously you aren't man enough to apologize for calling me stupid when I did not even do what you claimed. That's more revealing than you know.

I contributed something useful to this thread, which the OP apparently appreciated.

What have you contributed ? Some inaccurate and childish whining about stuff the guy who started the thread doesn't even seem to care about.

By the way, "you're" means YOU ARE. There now, you can improve your English, so at least this wasn't all wasted time.

9. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    You did exactly what I claimed.Thats exactly why you 're acting this way. Like a punk.
  10. Husky360C

Oddometer:
    Like I said earlier, I contributed information of value to this thread.

Whereas, all you've done is play "thread police", and no one seems to care but you.

I feel sorry for you, because you must be a miserable guy if this thread got you so worked up.
  11. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    Look in the mirror lately.