705 rotation arrows

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SKILLETDAWG, Sep 12, 2019.

1. SKILLETDAWG

SKILLETDAWG n00b

Oddometer:
    Bought a set of Shinko 705s. The front 90/90-21 is the tire I am confused with. The tire has rotation arrows pointing at each other with the words Front and Rear below the arrows. (See pic) According to Rocky Mtn this tire is NOT the universal tire, but front only. They said to mount tire with Front arrow pointing to the front and Rear arrow towards rear of bike, (yep, I know). If mounted that way, you would be running over the top of the V groove tread pattern rolling towards the bottom point of the V. I know the contact patch is not that large, but it still seems like that is the opposite direction it should be rotating. Backwards to the way the rear tire is mounted. Which way have you 705 owners been mounting your tires? Thanks for explanations or help. 161F557F-DC18-4298-99EE-5B2408E6C058.jpeg
  2. vtduc

vtduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mount it the way the arrow states for the front. The grooves on the front always point opposite to the way they point on the rear, has to do with braking forces on the front versus drive forces on the rear. If you look at different tires on other bikes, they always follow the same pattern. Some folks will de-mount and reverse direction of a dual sport tire after it's half worn, to reverse the effects of "cupping" on the tread, but that's a different subject. Seems counter intuitive when looking at the front tread, but its all about the braking forces versus the drive forces as previously stated.
    LuciferMutt, Beezer and Bigger Al like this.
  3. Bigredwelder

Bigredwelder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    vtduc nailed it the way he described it. Just think about the forces they see. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, and I have 705's here you go. These are mounted the correct way.

IMG_20190912_200438.jpg
    IMG_20190912_200657.jpg
    vtduc and dtysdalx2 like this.
  4. SKILLETDAWG

SKILLETDAWG n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks vtduc and Bigredwelder, that’s the way they are going on. A friend just got a set and his are mounted just as you have said.