'71 CT70 ...saved from the grave yard

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by SCR100, Oct 24, 2017.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fast Idle and GR0NK like this.
  2. SCR100

SCR100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stripped down the CT70 yesterday. There's ALWAYS a rat's nest inside old bikes somewhere. And I probably got 5 lbs. of loose rust and dirt out of it.

[​IMG]

It's really not as rough as it looks. Pretty solid. I ended up with a few usable parts from the carcass, but most of it's going to be replaced with aftermarket stuff anyway.

[​IMG]
  3. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been wanting to do the same for a while now. Trail 70's are cool!
    Picked this one up today. It's a little rough too but like you said, there are lots of aftermarket parts.
    Any new progress?
    CT70H.JPG
  4. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. SCR100

SCR100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have several boxes of new parts that have arrived. I dropped off the frame to have a couple of broken bolts removed and re-tapped, if necessary. I just buffed out the old paint the best I could and plan to clear over it, rust, patina and faded stickers and all.
    Assembly should start soon.
  6. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    I have a buddy that does restorations. He charges $6000 + to do a frame off restoration. He charges $1K +/- to rebuild the motor on the singles. You send him the nastiest repulsive motor . He returns the most beautiful example of a Ct70 engine that has ever been seen.
    There are lots of cheap ways to make your CT70 look great. The Ct 70 engine has just $200-350 in parts to rebuild the engine. That's replacing valves. guides , valve job, new piston, cam chain, clutch pack, seals/gaskets and a few incidentals. Engine teardown takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour at a slow pace. You need a special tool for the clutch and rotor/ mag( a long bolt may work). CT 70 is just a well designed motor.
  7. SCR100

SCR100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This happened today. Won't be long until I can start putting the CT70/140 back together. After I get done with all of this Holiday overtime.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Laconic, ArdenLoneWolf, PTC and 8 others like this.
  8. pancholasvegas

pancholasvegas n00b

Oddometer:
    z50140.jpg z501402.jpg z501403.jpg SCR100, this is my first post here at ADVRider. First I wanted to say that the frame and color you picked looks great. I see that you are going to be using a 140 engine in your bike. Are you planning on using the phiranha? If so I just finished the install of one of these in a Honda Z50. I have so far gotten the motor fired up and running down the street... In the Z50 I am running a 26 tooth sprocket in the rear with a 16 up front and so far in my test/tune runs have found this to be a decent combo for getting the most out of the 4 gears... This may not be the case in the slightly heavier and longer CT70. Some issues I think that you are going to run into are going to be the carb/intake. To overcome this you will need to run an adapter plate so that you can rotate the intake to fit the carb and air breather on there. I may be wrong, but this was the case with my Z50 swap. The CT MAY have the room to accommodate... not sure. You will also probably run into an issue with the factory footpegs not being able to clear the wider motor. The factory brake pedal also will not clear the new motor. You will have to get creative with some bending of the pedal. When I did the swap on the Z50, I had to bend the brake pedal. Even with aftermarket pegs I still ran into clearance issues, so I ended up having to notch the brake pedal by about a quarter inch or so in order for it to be able to function properly. I also had to drill a new hole into the pedal so that I could use the same spring set up that the bike should have. Given the modifications needed to properly fit the brake pedal, I would assume you will need to get somewhat creative with the rear brake light switch.. One last thing. You may also need to get creative with how you plumb the fuel lines to get to the carb when doing the swap, considering the carb will most likely have to be orientated differently. Here are some photos of my Z50 140cc swap so you can see the carb/intake adaptions I am talking about... Hope some of this info helps.. I love these bikes!
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    CT70 was my first bike but you can buy a 50 state legal one new for $1549 thats much nicer at 125cc and a disc brake, manaul 4 speed.

$6000 restos?

image.jpeg
    GR0NK likes this.
  10. camperdad

camperdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had one growing up and loved it, until I got an XR80. Top speed on the CT70 was 35-40mph. Top speed on the XR80 was 50+mph. I bought one with a seized motor a few years ago and rebuilt it. Once I got it going I remembered why I sold mine as a kid. No suspension, no get up and go, and lots of better options for way less money. It IS a classic but for the same money you can buy a heck of a bike that will rock the socks off a CT70.
  11. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Navin likes this.
  12. SCR100

SCR100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made a little progress yesterday. Still plenty left to do. I need to make a bracket to kick out the lower mount for the rear fender. I need to kick it up so that it doesn't hit the tire, now that I have the +2 swing arm.
    All sorts of spacers, hardware, etc., still needed. But I'm getting there!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Man, my phone takes crappy pics. I canNOT seem to get them completely in focus)
    Laconic, Bananapete, Pezz_gs and 4 others like this.
  13. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    Who cares about the quality pf the photos. Keep this one going! I had 2 of these when I was a kid and am jonesing for another. Good write up!
    Fast Idle likes this.
  14. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Just enough in focus to tease us with a 73 over there along the wall... :brow

Sean :D
    Navin and Fast Idle like this.
  15. pancholasvegas

pancholasvegas n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks great! Which motor did you go with? Phirana or Lifan?
  16. SCR100

SCR100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Piranha 140.
  17. pancholasvegas

pancholasvegas n00b

Oddometer:
    Good choice. I haven't gotten much farther than shakedown runs on my phiranha but so far the motor seems to run well and seems pretty stout. What exhaust set up are you planning on running? I know that the stock 70 exhaust will choke the phiranha quite a bit and you would have to get creative with the mounting setup because the exhaust port is more upfront than the stock setup. I'm anxious to see how this one turns out. Do you have any plans for the gearing set up yet? I am really excited to see what you come up with for the pegs and brake set up, the kickstand as well. I am going to have to shorten mine to make it sit right on my 50 frame.
  18. SCR100

SCR100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. SCR100

SCR100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, and the gearing is either 16/35 or 17/35, I can't remember exactly what I have on the front right now.
    Ought to be good for close to 60 mph.
  20. SCR100

SCR100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had to do a little clearancing on the frame and the engine, but we were able to get the motor in the frame today...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Little bit of interference with the brake pedal and foot pegs. Might try bending the pedal out and up just a bit. And I also need to figure out how to make the brake rod work with the +2 swing arm.
    We also fabbed up some brackets to mount the rear fender. If you use the stock holes with the +2 arm, the wheel could touch. Had to paint those and pick up some hardware. Hope to wrap that up next week.

[​IMG]
    GR0NK and Navin like this.