72 Yamaha Enduro Build

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by time2getill, Aug 5, 2013.

1. time2getill

time2getill Storm Trooper

Oddometer:
    Okay, First off, I don't know anything about how to get this back together. I had a family member say, hey if you can dig it out of my garage you can have it. It came with 2 engines, (exact same, from what I can tell) They are completely disassembled in the box. (i know nothing about putting an engine together, shit if it was already together, I probably couldn't crank it without blowing something up) The bike itself has a pretty decent amount of "surface rust" I don't see any that looks like it ate a hole thru metal. The tires are dry rotted) shocks are rusted. The fenders look pretty good minus the surface rust. The engines that are in pieces in the box, look in good shape. He said one had 4k miles on it, and the other was new. I have no idea which is which. (might as well be rocket parts to me) So anyhow, I figure, being at the severe disadvantage I am at, why not just strip it down to the frame and send it off to get powder coated. My wifes looking at this monstrosity like "ya right thats never coming back to life" and shes probably right, but I wanna give this a good try. So here are my lists of retarded questions. If you answer me in mechanic, I have being doing this for 1000 years talk, and you notice my eyes are glazed over, I am greatly sorry. I may respond with stuff like, so you want me to turn the wrench to the right? LOL

1. I got the Vin/serial Number but how do I find out what exact model it is?
    Vin is 397-203926

2. As I am stripping this down, I got the headlight, handlebars, gauges and blinker lights off, and the only line I have left is the (what I assume) brake line. (I will put a image of it) I have NO idea how to pull that off...

3. I took off the 1 inch bolt that held the forks (is that the right name?) on the front of the bike, expecting that it would slide off after I did so, it did not, so what do I do to get the forks off? (i tried youtube and got brand new bikes that didn't correlate) I will take an image of that also.

4. I don't know the "electrical" parts of this bike WHATSOEVER, and I truthfully don't want to do that side of it. The wires that are on it now look old as bejesus. So my thinking is just clip them all off and have someone put a modern wiring system on it. Is this okay?

5. Any ideas on the 2 unassembled engines situation? Just hire someone to get them running? (I don't mind spending here and there to make my life easier)

Keep in mind I'm not trying to restore to its original look, or original parts I will use what I can.. I wanna put my own shitty touch on it. LOL....

6. Gas tank is nice beside a nice size dent on the left side of it. I wanna get that dent out so I can send it off with the stripped frame to be painted.

This is a fun side hobby deal for me. I don't plan on making money, I plan on losing it actually LOL.... I just wanna ride this son of a bitch and be like look at what I did! If I pull it off im keeping it for life. LOL.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Please keep advice in stupid terms. And if I butchered any motorcycle parts names in this please forgive me. I suck. I hope to get better.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01128_zpsad810f7c.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01132_zpsb7334f6a.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01130_zpsa714e843.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01129_zps1d0eb51d.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01131_zps1a377711.jpg
  2. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    It's a twin cylinder , 2-stroke street bike. 100 maybe? The side of one of the cylinders , towards the bottom on the side , will have the displacement in CCs.
  3. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    1974 rd200a

the line you can't get is the speedo line. i can't remember offhand, but i believe there is an internal snap ring that holds it in place.

you need a spanner wrench to remove the triple stem nut.
  4. time2getill

Oddometer:
    1974 rd200a
    the line you can't get is the speedo line. i can't remember offhand, but i believe there is an internal snap ring that holds it in place.
    you need a spanner wrench to remove the triple stem nut.

( are you sure about the year and make? )
    (there is an internal snap looking ring. Correct. you think the napa store down the street has the "spanner wrench? do i need a certain size or does one size fit all type of deal)
    (why do they call it a speedo line? just curious)

It's a twin cylinder , 2-stroke street bike. 100 maybe? The side of one of the cylinders , towards the bottom on the side , will have the displacement in CCs.

(only writing i found said "oil 850 cc") That was on what I think was called a "crank case" I looked over the other parts and didn't see anything. I realized that the engines are not the same, as the "crank cases were different".... I am guessing from the above comment about make and model its a 200?)
  5. time2getill

Oddometer:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01140_zps674a0d17.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01141_zpse772c24d.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01142_zpsd5462fa9.jpg

Forgot to say thank you in my "replies"... Thank you. I need all the damn help I can get. I had to "google image" what a cylinder was. Rahaha... Okay, so anyway...

I got the horn off.
    The front wheel, and fork.

Questions:

1. Fork was leaking what appeared to be "oil" (just elevated it so it would quit, and pressed on. What was that all about?

2. as far as disassembly goes, does the front end need to be any more stripped down (i put a pic of where I took the forks off. does that stuff need to be somehow taken off before I send to powdercoat.) Its hard to explain so I put a pic... It "had" a 1 inch bolt on it, which released a few parts but I guess what I am asking is does the part that the bolt was screwed onto, does it need to come off also? Hope that made sense. If it does, do I need a special tool to get it off? It doesn't look do-able with regular tools, but I could be wrong.

3. This may be a dumb question, but i have a few phillips head style screws that are holding the electronic harness on it that I need to get off. The screws are old and rusty. I sprayed them with wd40 in hopes it would loosen the rust and allow me get screw off. No deal. If I really crank on it, it starts to strip the screw. (which terrifies me lol) I tried grabbing the screw with some pliers. no deal... Is there an easy way to go about this?

4. I havent bought the spanner wrench yet to get that line off, so its still a burden in my side. LOL... Will get that this week at some point.

My normal job is boring computer bull shit, and I must say this is becoming addicting very fast. I was dreaming about my next steps. LOL...

Thanks in advance for any knowledge or know how.
  6. merczephyr

merczephyr Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    As a complete beginner, I would tend to try to get everything cleaned up and put back together and working before I did ANY other cosmetic stuff - you don't even know if you have all the pieces, and it'll be together and apart many times before it's running and rideable, so you'll screw up all your nice powdercoating and paint for sure.

Don't cut ANY wires. You'll want to use the wiring harness as a model to make a new one if necessary.

Get a hammer-powered impact screwdriver. You CANNOT take apart an old bike without one.

Get a service manual for the bike you have.

Join a forum specializing in that bike.

Don't take anything apart until you have photos, notes, ziploc baggies, and tags with strings so you can label every bolt, bracket, and weird fitting you remove. You will thank yourself later.

You DO have a title for this thing? Without a title, in many places it's just parts (maybe even someone else's parts) and you will have trouble getting a legal license plate.

Good luck!

Impact driver:
    [​IMG]
  8. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    go read dan's motorcycle repair dealio before you go any further. it's written in simple terms. that way you will at least know what he parts are, and what they do. you'll also know what to call them when you want to ask questions. looks to me like there's most of a bike there. it can be done, alot of us have started with much much worse... there are a few tools you will need that are motorcycle specific, and there's work-arounds for most of those.. take your time, and label/zip lock/however you intend on keeping track of everything. you can mostly build that just from looking at the parts fiche (it's at www.yamaha-motor.com)

http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

also, it's not an enduro, it's a street bike. very few enduro's that are twin cylinder (i can think of 4 total, and only 2 of them are 2 strokes..) - you sure could make it an enduro if you like though....
  9. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Get educated before you dig into any more of it or it is very likely you will waste a lot of time and money and end up with nothing to show for it.

Then figure out what parts you do and do not have, then figure out what of those you will need. Next order of business would be locating and buying said parts.

But that's just my opinion

Looking at the bin of motor bits I see a crank that looks like it may not even be useable..the second motor also appears to have been left in the elements by the heavy rusting on the output shaft, shift shaft and just about every steel part on it.

Also the front brake line mounting tab on the front hub looks broken.

As for the nut that is holding the front triple clamp on to the frame it just backs off.. A proper spanner wrench would be recomended but I have done it with a mallet and a aluminum or brass dowel before but it is easy to mess them up FYI .should you remove the nut take it apart slowly there are loose ball bearings in there that will drop out. While modern stuff may look different it is basically the same in theory and function.

But you really should learn more about bikes before you throw money at this thing.
  10. time2getill

Oddometer:
    appreciate the links. very helpful. As far as putting any more money into the bike. I have not put "any" money into the bike as of yet. Just time, which I don't mind. I will hold off on painting and cosmetic stuff as advised. (I actually listen to people, weird huh, LOL) I will read all the "reference" material. But honestly I don't learn that way. I have to just do it, to get a full understanding of it. Its just the way I learn. Now, as far as spending money on this thing, I do agree with everything said. I didn't pay anything for the bike, as it was family. I just had to dig it out of the abyss of a garage that took all day. (I stepped on a board with a nail thru it that went thru my foot, that was awesome) Anyways, Air hammer, I watched youtube videos on how to use it, Love the advice and used it already. worked like a charm. As far a forum specializing in this bike. This is the best I found. Here are some new pix. The pic with me holding the 3 "rings" is how I have been documenting everything. I have an image for everything. Thanks dudes. Bout to hop in the ocean. Later.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01165_zpsd169b2dd.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01156_zps021d3c37.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01155_zps8c12e5d1.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/t/time2getill_DSC01154_zpsdf11c390.jpg