Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you're improving!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was pretty much Al Lighton's fault. There we were at "Buelling Man" at Ocotillo Wells in the SoCal desert, deep into another mega-day of the FBRAT ride (and already deep into the Adult Beverage stash...), when Al, et.al., pretty much dared me to try to climb that dune (mountain) on MadDuck's Ulysses.

"Ha! Hold my beer!" :drink

[​IMG]

^ From a distance that dune, directly behind MadDuck's Uly, doesn't look that big...

I had to smoke the clutch without mercy to crawl to the top; sorry MadDuck. Getting down proved harder than getting up, truth be told. The assembled miscreants did the "wave" when I finally hit the desert floor and motored back into camp, at which point it was time to, um, let our hair down and set stuff on fire.

[​IMG]

^ Al and Joanne officially ignite the Buelling Man.

[​IMG]

^ Yes, those are 10 bottle rockets taped to the back of the Buelling Man (Joanne's bright idea), one for each day of the FBRAT ride. Somehow, it all made perfect sense at the time. One of them actually flew clean through Reindog's head, in one ear hole and out the other (he was chanting profusely at the time, and didn't even seem to notice), which hardly even slowed down on the way through. If you know Reindog, this explains a lot of things...

[​IMG]
    :bubba
  3. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I like the fire :)

I didn't realize that was SoCal. I cut across Nevada on highway 50 a couple years ago, and passed some huge white sand dunes. I figured that is where you had done your infamous climb.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done 50 a couple of times. You really want to make sure you plan your fuel stops out there...
    RedUly likes this.
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not the best pix, but:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me 'n Unibear doing Mouse's Tank, near Las Vegas, many, many moons ago. Cool road, kinda like the world's longest go-kart track.
    RedUly and MYUMPH like this.
  6. Bartimus

Bartimus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man that bike was gorgeous! that was an early model too, wasn't it? With the gear driven cams? mmmmusic to a mechanics ears that whirring sound was...
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  7. Bartimus

Oddometer:
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    The post has been deleted by its author. Just as well, I don't need the temptation, and...if I were in the market for another Buell, it'd be something like this:

[​IMG]

My beloved '96 Buell S2 Thunderbolt, affectionately nicknamed the "BLURR" by my then-10-year-old daughter Brynn, on the way to play all day on the flanks of Mount St. Helens in Washington State.

Sex on wheels.
    klaviator and RedUly like this.
  9. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike.

Is that new countertop I see in the background?
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indeed it is. One of Erik's many moto-masterpieces. I put over 70k on that bike. It was the machine that inspired my "Ferris Bueller" personna - I so enjoyed taking days off on the BLURR that I began writing about and photo-documenting my journeys, and began using the FB pen name as my tales began to be published.

The rest is history.

I miss that motorcycle.

Sure is. Good catch. :)
    RedUly likes this.
  11. Bartimus

Oddometer:
    Deleted? Well that is just unacceptable, lol. here's the temptation for ya. It was a '97 though, still a purdy bike, looked all stock.

859981.jpg

Your S2, like all your bikes, was a work of art. The hours you spent detailing your bikes. That bodywork looks familiar...

S2-X3.jpg

How's the knee healing? Are you getting around better now?

Attached Files:

Fast Ferris and RedUly like this.
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    During the telecasts of the recently-completed World Series, it was announced that next year, the New York Yankees and the Chicago White Sox will face off on none other than the legendary Field of Dreams, in Dyersville, Iowa. It ought to be an unforgettable experience, for the players and fans alike.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pic above, with MadDuck's Buell Ulyssess parked at home plate, was obtained with the permission of Don Lansing, owner of the Field of Dreams, shown below with my twin-brother-from-a-different-mother, Alex Prior:

[​IMG]

Alex did the advance recon for our visit, and secured permission from Mr. Lansing for two photo ops with MadDuck's Uly: one parked at home plate, and a series of photos of the bike disappearing into the corn rows out in straightaway center field:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alex and I also played some catch out in right field. I still have my baseball glove, purchased especially for the occasion (I can vividly remember the excited chatter, the hoots and hollers by all the kids and their moms and dads on the field that day, playing ball on a perfect September afternoon on the legendary Field of Dreams), and the baseball, autographed by Mr. Lansing:

[​IMG]

Alex and I presented a brand-new 2006 Buell American Motorcycles brochure, inscribed by none other than The Man himself, to Mr. Lansing, as a way of saying thanks. The inscription read: "To Don Lansing, thank you for the dreams, Erik Buell."

Mr. Lansing was touched by the gesture, and said the brochure would be going on his mantle, right next to his autographed photo of Hank Aaron.

This was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Thank you Mr. Lansing, thank you Erik, thank you Prior, and thank you MadDuck.

Thank you Lord, for my many blessings.
    rkover1, Bartimus, Prior and 5 others like this.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

^ Me 'n JB2 paying a visit to the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas many, many moons ago.

Despite a gate that seemed expressly designed to thwart such behavior, we somehow managed to wriggle the V-Strom through the steel barricade so I could snap some pix of the Suzy posing with the fleet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It occurred to me at the time that if I left the V-Strom parked there for a spell, someone would probably come along and slather it in spray paint. Anything woulda been an improvement... :D
    MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was really cool. I love that movie!

My best field of dreams experience wasn't even close to yours. This sign probably wasn't even named after Doc "moonlight" Graham but I did think of the movie when I saw it.

[​IMG]
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doc Graham Road, that's pretty cool! I believe I would've stopped and grabbed a photo, as well. :)

Yeah, visiting the Field of Dreams - especially being able to grab a couple of photos with MadDuck's Ulysses - was bucket list-kinda stuff. Alex used to live in Iowa, and had visited beforehand and gotten permission from Don Lansing for the photos. We played some catch out in right field, and then noticed Mr. Lansing parked in the shade of the trees seen in the photo above, hanging out on his quad with his dog, simply enjoying the ambience, the sights and sounds of dozens and dozen of kids, moms and dads playing ball on the Field of Dreams. One might think the place would've lost some of its charm over the years - after all, it's a working farm - but he said he loved coming out and watching, and listening to, all the folks who daily made the pilgrimage to this special place. There's a magic there, just like depicted in the movie. I know this, because I experienced it firsthand.

I heard a few mild "WTF!"s when we motored out onto the outfield, and then quite a few more, of course, when I pushed MadDuck's Buell out onto home plate. I hollered that I had permission from the owner, and I think the home-plate pic probably took less than 30 seconds or so - I felt pretty conspicuous interrupting the game, truth be told, but I really, really wanted that photo.

I'm eternally grateful to Mr. Lansing - that took an incredible amount of trust to allow a motorcycle onto his field (a first, he said) - and we were extremely courteous and respectful, to both him, and the folks gathered there that day.

I'm also grateful to Alex for being my brother and for helping lay the groundwork for our visit, and grateful to Erik, for taking the time to inscribe the brochure for Mr. Lansing. The Buell Ulysses had just been released and was a landmark motorcycle for the Buell Motorcycle Company, and I was honored to ride one across the country and involve so many cool people (and iconic places) in its debut.
    klaviator likes this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day two of the "Ferris Bueller Rides Again Tour" (FBRAT) was a visit to Buell American Motorcycles in East Troy, Wisconsin, and lunch at the infamous Gus's Drive-In with Erik, Alex, Dave Stueve from Appleton, WI Harley-Davidson/Buell, and BMC's Bruce Champion. We had a great time, and Alex and I got an intimate tour of the Buell factory and assembly line. Here are some pix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ Erik shows off his legendary, completely-hand-built Buell RW-750, parked in the lobby. Upon closer inspection, he said, "I can't believe I ever rode this thing that fast!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ One of my favorite photos from FBRAT, Erik reflecting on his success as an American motorcycle manufacturer in the 20+ years since he built his first motorcycle.

[​IMG]

^ Another fave pic from the ride, Erik taking time out of his busy schedule to visit with Denise, who was holding down the fort back home in California (while I traipsed around the country on a motorcycle that didn't belong to me).

This photograph tells you pretty much everything you need to know about The Man, Mr. Erik Buell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ Good times, unforgettable memories.
    Redoubt, tjzondrz, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  17. RedUly

Oddometer:
    That trip had an impact on my life. You did it before I had done any real long distance riding. I already knew I wanted to ride across the country "some day." Some day came in October 2007. Watching you do it was part of my motivation for making it happen. There was another guy on there as well. I wish I could remember his name. Also an excellent photographer from Virginia. He bought a Uly somewhere out west and rode it home, with great pictures along the way back. It struck me that wow, people really do these kinds of rides, and I can do them too.
    tastroman and Fast Ferris like this.
  18. Bartimus

Oddometer:
    It seems Ferris was always finding good reasons to go for rides. ;)
    That pic of you with the Shovelhead is a classic! You've got hair! :bmwrider
    And as usual, you are in the curves, great pic, just like the one of the Suzy and the caddies, nice shot...
    I remember FBRAT, I think I called in sick and rode up to Colorado to meet you for one day just to say I did, on the S2.
    That was great to set up that stop at the field of dreams, and to bring the signed '06 Buell model pamphlet :thumbup
    Erik IS quite the man, smart, down to earth, how could we not love his bikes?:nod
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim, I had no idea. Thanks for sharing! You've certainly made up for "lost" time, my friend. :)
    RedUly likes this.
  20. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Fast Ferris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.