Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the words of Lou "Mystic" Usher, "Ride hard. You can rest when you die." :)

Yeah, and I was probably 50 pounds lighter back then! :D

JB2's a great riding buddy, he's always angling for photos, just like me. It took a bit to get the V-Strom through the gate, but it was worth it to get those pix.

That was an epic day on the road for me 'n D (she had flown into Colorado Springs so we could ride two-up back to Cali), and we had already done Pikes Peak and Phantom Canyon Road before we met you in Florence that day.

However, YOU sir, cranked out nearly a thousand miles that day (Albuquerque, NM > Florence, CO > Albuquerque, NM), just to hang with the likes of us for a few. I think you might be even crazier than we are! :D

Alex Prior deserves a ton of credit for all of that, as does Don Lansing, as does Erik Buell. Bucket list through and through.

One of the coolest guys I've ever met. I've been fortunate enough to ride with him probably a half-dozen times or so, and each time has been epic. And you're right, he's one of the most down-to-earth dudes you'd ever want to meet. He deserves a special place in the history of motorcycles.

[​IMG]

^: Climbing Pikes Peak. This was before they paved the rest of the road to the summit, and the pic above shows the old transition from pavement to dirt.

[​IMG]

^: :raabia:raabia

[​IMG]

^: The "welcome to" signs on the north end of Phantom Canyon Road. :eekers

[​IMG]

^: House-hunting with Denise. :D

[​IMG]

^: Bartimus, TBear and me in Florence, CO. Denise and I had spent the night with TBear at his home in Guffey, CO, and he had been our most-excellent traveling companion and tour guide on this day. Photo by Denise

[​IMG]

^: Bartimus astride MadDuck's Buell Ulysses. It must be nice to have legs long enough to flat-foot this thing. I could barely reach the ground even with the low-rise seat Erik loaned me! :D

[​IMG]

^: Bart's GORGEOUS '95 Buell S2 Thunderbolt, one of the sexiest motorcycles ever to consume fuel.

[​IMG]

^: One of the last pix me 'n D took on the day, as we humped westward across Colorado on Highway 50. Although we really, really, REALLY wanted to hole up in Gunnison when we rode through there at dusk, we had made previous arrangements to meet up with Lori and DBird in Grand Junction and had to press on, even after it got cold, and dark, and seriously deer-infested. This was back before I had a GPS and we were doing all our navigating with paper maps. We rolled into GJ about 11 o'clock that night, pretty much wiped out.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    klaviator and RedUly like this.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    iDave did several really outstanding ride reports but then he went back and deleted most of them, I don't know why.
    RedUly likes this.
  4. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That. The funnest fiddy-dollars ever spent on an adventure. Bar none.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  5. Bartimus

Bartimus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recognize that thumb!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  6. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    How is the building coming?
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  7. RedUly

Oddometer:
    How much of the original house is left?
  8. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I see doors. They are just a little flexible.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indeed they are, but I'm not: I want real doors! :D
    RedUly likes this.
  10. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :-) I believe the original house is still here, cannot change history! HOWEVER, the transformation to a new and improved version is working for me!
    Know my Sweetie will get some pix of the new garage here soon. :clap He has just been pretty much overloaded with all the projects going on at once. Today the electrician wired the new garage with 28? overhead lights, etc. Talk about some light!!! Garage doors to be installed tomorrow. YEAH!!!! Will sure be nice to hit the open/close button!!!!!!!!!

Our boyz/contractors have moved to demolition of the old garage - conversion to new "room" which in the short term will be my new office. :D

With sn*w in the forecast here soon again, hoping to get as much completed as we can.....
  11. RedUly

Oddometer:
    This was not the plan.

Attached Files:

Bartimus likes this.
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see 19 degrees, and what looks like an icon indicating the potential for snow. Kinda reminds me of the overall weather conditions during mine and Denise's first-ever ride with you, way back in the day.......

:D
  13. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I like to make a memorable entrance.

I am in Lawsonville, roads are great.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  14. RedUly

Oddometer:
    It was a good day. This morning was cold, and I got to think about the new pair of heated gloves I didn't bring while suffering through it. Warmed up eventually and had a good ride.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, good for you for getting out! Pretty day for a ride. :)

We spent the better part of the day emptying out the contents of the old upstairs garage (soon to be D's new office/future master suite) into the new garage, so the boyz can continue initial demo tomorrow.

The new garage got wired and powered up on Friday, and the new garage doors were installed on Saturday. I had the electricians install copious electrical outlets around the perimeter of the garage, and also had them wire in 24 junction boxes in the ceiling for LED "pancake" lights (the same ones we installed in the living room/kitchen/dining room conversion; the color temperature on these particular lights is 5000k - bright daylight, basically).

Next order of business will be getting the garage space insulated, and then a breezeway built to connect the garage and the house.

No rest for the wicked...
    Bartimus, Chuck Pryce and RedUly like this.
  16. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, no rest! HOWEVER, we only have to do this once! Was hoping a nice Christmas present for Ferris was going to be a finished garage.... Well, it does have a roof and doors, maybe, just maybe heat next week? Inside project, master bath coming along. Major issues with special order vanity from Home Depot - turns out they have trouble delivering here.... To their credit, anything that Fed Ex can deliver (smaller packages) they DO deliver on time, AND they offered up a nice discount for the delays in getting the vanity here.
    And on the schedule...after getting the left knee "fixed" - now the right knee has really been an issue for my sweetie, so.... back to the OR in a couple weeks and fix it!
    1stgenfarmboy and Fast Ferris like this.
  17. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And What a Day, Ride that was!!! Seems like yesterday. It was just too cool to meet some of our soon to be best riding buddies from the East side of the US. :clap
    Fast Ferris and RedUly like this.
  18. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I decided to go to Greyson-Highlands yesterday to see if I could find the ponies.

[​IMG]

I made it to the park, but was foiled as I tried to ascend the mountain.
    MYUMPH, Fast Ferris and Renegade3 like this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! It was nasty, nasty, NASTY up here in the mountains on Friday, drizzly rain all day with temps hovering around 33-34 degrees, perfect conditions for the formation of snotty, slippery, invisible black ice. I almost called off our contractors on Friday - our driveway, and the street out front, were treacherous. The Parkway in these parts was gated closed all of Friday, and most of Saturday. Good for you for braving the elements and getting out!
    RedUly likes this.
  20. RedUly

Oddometer:
    That is a fine looking building.

Happy birthday Denise.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.