Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're great bikes, timeless styling, comfortable, reliable and powerful. With the release of the new Milwaukee Eight engine, gently-used Twin Cams are plentiful and cheap these days.

I wouldn't mind having the tunes for blasting in my shop, but I can't imagine actually riding down the road with music going. Different strokes, I guess.

Re: windshields, I dislike the turbulent air, the reflected mechanical sound, the annoying steering inputs from dirty air in freeway traffic, the lack of a nice cooling breeze in the summertime, and the potential for degradation of visual acuity, especially in wet and/or dark riding conditions.

And, I just like the bike's aesthetics better sans shield:

[​IMG]
    bobw, 1stgenfarmboy and MYUMPH like this.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's but one of a million gently-loved Road Kings for sale on eBay right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the listing:

"This 2013 Road King Classic is in phenomenal condition, and except for the white walls, looks showroom condition. Only 3200 miles and runs as great as it looks. New battery and less than 100 miles since the last oil change and maintenance. Cruise control, ABS, and factory security equipped. Includes rear seat back rest (H-D) , chrome luggage rack (H-D), upgraded Vance and Hines exhaust. Last year the FLHRC was made in the USA. Twin Cam 103 CI with 6 speed transmission. This motorcycle has been garage kept and never seen a drop of rain. $12,500.00/obo."

^ This bike has the new-and-greatly-improved-as-of-2009 H-D touring chassis, fuel-injected 103-inch (1690-cc) engine (in V8-speak, piston size equivalent to a 412-inch big block - torque, torque, torque!), 6-speed trans, 6-gallon fuel tank (easy 250-mile-plus range), world-class cruise control, triple-disc Brembo anti-lock brakes, upgraded Vance & Hines exhaust (gentle rumble, just enough to know you're on a big-inch Harley, without pissing off your neighbors, and probably a modest performance gain, especially with a K&N air filter under the football), etc.

The windshield, luggage rack and back rest are all quick on/quick off - you could install or detach all three in about 45 seconds total.

The factory saddlebags are leather-wrapped hard bags (no frikkin' sag!), but they don't lock. Tons of storage capacity, though (and no frikkin' sag!).

The whitewalls would clean up in just a few minutes with a stiff nylon brush and some Bleche-Wite (bring it by my shop and I'll sanitize the whitewalls and buff on a nice coat of wax for you. :)

3200 miles? As-new, barely broken in. This motor retailed for well over twenty grand in 2013. This is a lot of Road King for the money.

Tempting..........................
    bobw likes this.
  3. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m a young whipper snapper (42). This is what tickles my fancy. I like the all black.
    IMG_9750.JPG
    OldCoot, krautman, Buildzall and 3 others like this.
  4. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup!!!!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  5. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer

Oddometer:
    Extremely proud moment right there!!!
    Fast Ferris, mf13368 and OldCoot like this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Prayers tonight for NASCAR driver Ryan Newman and his family. :(
    MYUMPH, Sonny S. and OldCoot like this.
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The date shown on this statement is wrong, but the news is good considering the brutality of the crash.

Thank you, Lord.
    MYUMPH, bobw and OldCoot like this.
  8. ZigzagguzzI

Oddometer:
    All the safety devices came into use, thank God!
    MYUMPH and Fast Ferris like this.
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dangeross and MYUMPH like this.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ryan Newman was released from the hospital today (!) and walked out under his own power (!!). Thank you, Lord!!!

Here's a pic of Newman and his two daughters, tweeted out this morning by Roush Fenway Racing:

[​IMG]

THANK YOU LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap
    Sonny S. and MYUMPH like this.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw the crash real-time, and then watched the slow-motion replays. I had little confidence that he was even alive, based on the dynamics of the crash.

And yet, two days later he walks out of the hospital. Wow.

Yes, all the safety devices. And more than a little divine intervention, in my opinion. :)
    bobw, MYUMPH and tastroman like this.
  12. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't seem possible. That crash was horrific.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree on both counts.

To be honest, I'm a little perplexed how one's injuries can be so bad that you're listed in "serious" condition on Monday night, and yet you walk out of the hospital on Wednesday afternoon looking all the world like you're taking your daughters shopping at the mall:

[​IMG]

The Lord works in mysterious ways. :)
    1stgenfarmboy, Redoubt and MYUMPH like this.
  14. ZigzagguzzI

Oddometer:
    Intestinal fortitude, some people are just tough!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  15. T-34

T-34 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you safety engineers.

That gear oil gushing near the flames had me freaking out. Thought it was fuel.
  16. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the fact that there are people who love to take great care of motorcycles, then sell them to me in practically new condition.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you're the only person I've ever met who actually gives their motorcycles away when they're finished with them. :D
  18. RedUly

Oddometer:
    It's beautiful.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our new sidewalk will be delivered on Monday:

[​IMG]

Some assembly required...
  20. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Is this karma Jerry?

[​IMG]

It's actually not as bad as it looks, I had no trouble with tire slippage. But it makes me look like a badass, so I stopped to take the picture. My inability to stand on the ice when I tried that was when I realized how good the traction of the TKC-70 is.

A bike question for Bart if you're reading this. I somehow put the bike in "rain mode." How the hell do I get it back to normal?
    Dnutz, tastroman and Fast Ferris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.