Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    I ride that road pretty often - lots of good homesites along that stretch. That particular one if very nice - the only negative is that Hwy 52 is in their back yard. From my house I can barely see the top of the mountain when all the leaves have fallen off the trees.

Next time you are near by you should have a look at Armstrong road. The road is too short to make a special trip but its pretty fun if you are in the area - just watch for gravel in a couple of the corners. If you ride that one then you can also checkout Chestnut Ridge road for an FBAD-worthy view(if you are travelling west).
    Fast Ferris and JB2 like this.
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    You-n-D finding the Steel Wheels, who is from my backyard, is akin to me finding "Bob's Place" in Mike Breedlove's backyard. He was a little taken aback that he had not already found the place. I hope the suggestion of Mandolin Orange hits "equal trade" level. :D

I thought it was cool that @1stgenfarmboy has them in his rotation. Hope you had time to watch the entire concert. I found them via YouTube while having a Steel Wheels mix playing on the TV. It usually goes unnoticed except for providing background for busy evenings at home, plus the birds like it. I remember that when Mandolin Orange first popped up I did an immediate search and started playing their mixes. Good band they are.

EDIT: Oh, and that girl Sarah Jarosz, was a good recommendation. Someone "new to me" but looks like she has a wealth of music out there. Looks a lot like Gillian Welch, even her facial expressions. Similar to Gillian's music but with a slightly different voice. There goes my CD budget! Thanks 1stgen!

Great pics too Ferris, as always.
    Fast Ferris and 1stgenfarmboy like this.
  3. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    N/NW . If N is 12:00 then I am ~10:15

The weather and my work schedule finally worked out nicely today and I was able to make the Armstrong/Chestnut Ridge loop then a Orchard Gap/BRP/Pipers gap loop before heading back home. I am likely to get out again tomorrow with the wife. She has requested a leaf-looking trip and the old CJ is currently out of commision.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  4. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    JB2, my wife and I have seen her twice in person and talked to her at a Mandolin workshop and she is exceptionally talented, writing most of her songs, these newgrass performers are well schooled and so sharp, not that I don't think Flatt and Scruggs are not but....you get where I'm going.

We attend a bluegrass festival each year in Owensboro KY where 20-25 bands perform over 3 days, we see so many groups we have never heard of.

The festival is called ROMP.

After going I am depressed at how untalented I am.
    Fast Ferris and JB2 like this.
  5. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    I wish I had paid more attention in that photography class..........

Good stuff!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  6. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've said it many times, but some of your pictures, I can feel.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few more from yesterday:

[​IMG]
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    JB2 will remember this old schoolhouse:

[​IMG]
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer

Oddometer:
    Is that off Comers Rock Rd?
  12. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I certainly do remember the school house. I believe we ran into one of the girls from the leather shop who told us a little bit of the history and plans to preserve it.

[​IMG]

You-n-D-n-Doug and the girls. From your newest image of the school house it appears the preservation they spoke of is happening. Good on them.
  13. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, that last one is a exceptionally nice shot. Your bike is like a lighted silhouette even though it's sitting in a shadow.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gracias, hermano! It is SO nice up here right now, makes it hard to log miles as every 30 seconds I see another photo op!

Twig and I hooked up this morning and cranked out about 165 miles on the day. Stunning, absolutely stunning. We finally u-turned basically at Whitetop Mountain, aka the "Rooftop of Virginia," after dissecting the Mount Rogers Wilderness Area and a cruise to the top of Grayson Highlands. I don't have words to describe how delightful today's ride was, perfect in every respect. Breathtaking.

No pix on the day, we were too busy absorbing the ride. :ricky:ricky
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I fibbed, I got a total of two pix to document the day. Twig's staying tonight at the campground next to us, so when he and I got back this afternoon I grabbed Denise and we spent the past several hours hanging with Twig at his cabin. We brough a bunch of firewood (and some firewater...), and had a pizza delivered, and hung around the campfire with Twig basking in our collective good fortune.

A peek at Twig's cabinsite:

[​IMG]

The glass contains a round of Crown Royal Vanilla, a bottle of which was birthday gift from Twig. Yum. :freaky
    klaviator, JB2, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  16. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m enjoying this thread, but can we please keep the politics out of it? There are other threads more suited for it.

Mahalo.

doc
  17. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    Idahopilot likes this.
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    With all due respect: if you don't like the content, change the channel.
    rockinrog, OldCoot, edsollen and 4 others like this.
  19. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s your RR and you must do as you see fit. But to me, using an RR to advance a political agenda here seems inappropriate. Even if I were to agree with you.

But other than that, I do enjoy this thread.

doc
    Ginger Beard, Andrew and bykemike like this.
  20. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    The end.
    Andrew and BigOleSingle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.