Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:

I think one would have to ride the mountains of Southwest Virginia to really understand. In this moment ignoring the political advertising that's so prevalent on farms and in landscapes when touring the back roads would be almost disingenuous as it would leave out part of the story.
    CheapB, Idahopilot, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I try to stay away from politics online but this is pretty much what I saw in 5 days of riding around Tellico Plains, TN. Trump signs everywhere. I saw one Biden sign in town. Same thing when I ride North of Huntsville into rural middle Tennessee. The culture out in the country is much different than it is in big cities.
    CheapB, Redoubt, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  3. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    As motorcyclists we are observers by spirit. We see and experience all that is around us. We might select to photograph and observe things we agree and/or disagree with. Our reactions to what we see are part of the experience and a part of the stories we tell. It is a fine line between politics and observations. I knew a guy named Iam, he was from Virginia too. He thought a lot like FastFerris and would probably have made the same observations. I know I am guilty of the same in my own threads. :nod

It's all good. :thumb
    CheapB, Andrew, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  4. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Posting pictures of whatever one sees along a ride is fine, and encouraged. But inserting politics in one’s commentary is inappropriate up here, as are blatantly political posts.

CSM exists for inmates to channel and defend their politics.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It appears that Fast Ferris has pulled the plug on this thread:(
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.
  7. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I've thoroughly enjoyed lurking this thread. Ferris is in my general area and I love seeing it through another's eyes. Sad to see it go. That said I don't see a conspiracy when we have a forum dedicated to politics and controversial topics and the rules of this forum are plainly spelled out. Not sure why it's so difficult.

" Absolutely no political posts in Ride Reports,"

https://advrider.com/f/threads/welc...ay-trippin-read-here-before-you-post.1209285/
  8. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Through writing, albeit a fine writer like Ferris you get to know the person through their ride reports. This report has always been about top notch photography combined with top notch narrative. I've always believed it captures the spirit of Southwest Virginia like no other. Having met Ferris a few times I can attest that what you get on this thread the same person you'd meet were you to run into him along the parkway. The thing is, you can't leave a big part of who you are and what you stand for from a multi year thread if you want the thread to be genuine.
    I get the rules but I also get Ferris's reason for halting the thread. He's too honest and passionate to keep his thoughts to himself. It's a shame that zero tolerance has put a end to such a great thread. Thanks for letting us ride along all of these years!
    Bacchusman, CheapB, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  9. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    +1
  10. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought Fast Ferris had a really good thread going. I hope he starts up another.
    MYUMPH and JB2 like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Over the line Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. This was one of the threads I most looked forward to reading.

A shame, really.
    MYUMPH and JB2 like this.
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Long timer

Oddometer:
    TMan, thanks for the kind words. :)

There's a ton of stuff that's going on behind the scenes. Last night, on this thread, I briefly and politely explained what has happened, not only to some of my posts, but to some other contributors' posts on this thread, as well, but my post was deleted.

Management made it clear to me last night that they don't like my political style. Fine, it's their sandbox, and their rules, and I respect that.

And I made it clear to management that I don't agree with how they chose to resolve their issues with a few of my posts.

It's been a good run, almost 14 years in total, and nearly a half-million views just on this one thread alone.

But ADV doesn't define me, and the most peaceful thing to do is simply move along.

Be best, y'all. :)

Andrew, feel free to lock this thread.
    CheapB, Serbchaser, danh600 and 7 others like this.
  13. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ferris, I dig your photography, your writing and your passion. This thread has been a accurate representation of the landscapes, the people and the spirit you might encounter if you travel the hills in this region. It will be missed. If you decide to carry it on in another forum please update this thread with a link. I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in my desire to tag along. All the best!

Tim
    CheapB, MYUMPH, OldCoot and 2 others like this.
  14. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Ferris - You are the reason I am on ADV. ADV is the reason BikeNutz is pretty much dormant because it is so much faster to create and publish here. I see both sides of the argument but when it comes down to brass tacks Iam(intentional misspell) standing with you. :D Your posts got flushed to Head Explody, BTW. Your contributions will be missed unlike those who silenced you. Best.
    MYUMPH and tastroman like this.
  15. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    Thank you for the great pics of a beautiful area (and the stories) GL
    tastroman, JB2 and OldCoot like this.
  16. robcig

robcig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Sydney Australia, please reconsider. I love reading your posts and especially love your photography!
    JB2 likes this.
  17. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    I too have long enjoyed this thread, looking forward to the photos and narratives. But when it “rounded the corner” into the political, that was it for me.

I would like to see another version of this thread come to life, but without the extraneous unrelated commentary.

doc
    Ginger Beard and Andrew like this.
  18. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    This thread and an occasional trip to the flea market has become the only reason I visit this site for the past year, or so.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.