Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by modified1, Mar 27, 2016.
Front tire now on. Ignition points and exhaust gaskets came in the mail.
You're gonna need a front fender now.
Yeah, I have a ran over stop sign that should work for that. I can bolt it on top of my new fork brace. I actually have the original one, but the part that bolts to the fork is cracked in half and I don't care for it much.
Pretty sure I'm going to run the pipes behind the kick start lever. I cut up some old headers that were on a 350 chevy. Plenty of bends to use, I can just cut and weld where I need to.
I'll weld a couple of these tight bends together to get around the front of the engine. Probably make some small glass packs or something to keep the noise down a little.
Have you run a compression test on this engine? If not please do so before sinking any more money in this. And I mean this in a constructive way.
Yeah, I checked it when I got it running before I cleaned the carbs out.
Finally welded up some pipes and slapped everything back together. Now runs on both cylinders again with the new points.
I'm diggin' how this is looking!
Maybe a flat home brewed desert sled front fender could be made from the sign. Not mine, but here is a link to one in progress: http://ako-mc.blogspot.com/2015/06/triumph-tr632.html Here it is finished: http://ako-mc.blogspot.com/2015/07/triumph-tr642.html
Thanks. Checked out your build, looks good. The open pipes on the TX are a bit too loud for my taste. I knew they would be, but I just slapped them together for a couple of test rides. Even with ear plugs it was annoying on the road. Now though, I partially lost the left cylinder, which has weak spark... I'm thinking most likely a bad coil. So now, just needs some sort of mufflers or pipe inserts and the ignition fixed. Hope to eventually keep it running long enough to take it to reading anthracite company and get some video of it off road.
A very late update for the TX500 project. SOLD IT! Turns out the new points I put in burned up not long after installing them. I was kind of annoyed because I paid $50 for them and I installed the new condensers and gapped the points according to specs. Not sure if I just got a bad set or what. Anyway, The electric starter would kick out once in awhile and with all the other small issues, I decided I didn't want to spend the money on mikuni carbs to fix the running issue. Sold in on craigslist again and got most of my money back for it. Hopefully the next guy has better luck with it than I did. Bought a nice 76 DT400 to ride off road in the mean time and I plan on looking for a Honda cb350 to build a scrambler that I can actually put some miles on. At least I got a chance to ride the TX enough to get a good feel for it, and got to try it off road a bit.
Will these tires fit the original rims on the TX500....The tires that I have on my TX500 are...on the front 3.25H / 19 and on the rear 4.00 - 18....I like these tires that you have here...I also wanted to convert my TX500 into a dual sport type bike...Not a complete dirt bike but going offroad like your videos....Please send me the tire sizes and let me know all the details... I have just started viewing your build...I realize that this post was posted a while back but I was hoping that you would respond. I stripped my TX500 completely down so its taking me longer...Thanks for the posts and videos