750GS • Impressions from a week in Morocco

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Chris S, Nov 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Long time fan of the ‘smaller’ twin.
    Lower, cheaper, [was] tubeless, runs stock on 91 RON and the 18er front makes a do-it-all travel bike tyre.
    Years ago I had a 650SE out here for a month and got it way out into the desert.
    Last year I tried a 700 with 100,000 km on the clock so I expected to like the 750.
    This had 6300km (114 hours) on the clock on stock Anakees plus some Givi hardware.

Long version on the website.

Short version:

[​IMG] Compared to the 850, it’s a very good deal
    More than enough real-world power to get the job done
    Great brakes with ABS
    Great suspension out of the crate too. Love the HPA and rebound damping.
    Stable in corners. Long and low, just like the old 700/650.
    But turns better than old 700 – down to the fuel tank now above the yaw axis (I’m told).
    Easy-access side valves on tubeless tyres
    All the essential metrics on the menu (plus a few which aren’t)
    Good economy (58US av) and range (up to 250 miles)
    Seat – no complaints at last.
    BMW-style 12-v power outlet on the dash

[​IMG] Heavy. With the added metalwork mine probably came in at 230kg wet, but only felt it when pushing around or trying to pick up.
    Last year’s 700 returned 66US on the same lap
    ‘Windscreen’ does nothing much.
    For a 270°, engine lacks character compared to a Yamaha CP2 or even an NC750.
    The thin digits on the LCD dash were hard to read easily or if not in direct sun.

Have to say, having tried TC (or ‘ASC’ in BMWSpeak), for my sort of riding I wouldn’t rush to buy a bike with it (unlike ABS). Much of it must down to 40 years of riding in the pre-TC era.
    I can see its use on a frenzied sports bike but who rides like that in the middle of nowhere?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    dpike likes this.
  2. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the posted impressions. I do find it really hard to believe the 750 turns better than the 700! The very flickable F7 is the equal of any bike I've ever tossed into a corner, and (I'd say) superior to the bikes of my early days, a new Yamaha R5C, RD350, RD400, GS750, etc.
  3. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should have clarified I meant on slow dirt where I recall some reluctance on the 700 and put it down to the low CoG.
    On mountain roads both are brilliant, but I felt more planted on the 750, probably because it was newer by nearly 60,000 miles.
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, we ride quite a lot of off-road on our F7s and it is a clunker at slow speeds. I was pretty determined to sell the F7 in favor of a lot MO power but have found the bike makes up for that perceived shortage in other ways.
    Appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the F750.
  5. Mdh01

Mdh01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I replaced the stock tires with 50/50 Mitas E07+ tires....feels much more planted off road!

D4336DFB-D56A-444A-A0A4-D119D7FA06BD.jpeg 518D48B3-BF93-46F9-87AF-91424C4FE7E7.jpeg
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  6. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    He means asphalt. :)
    Those tires look BAD ASS.
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  8. Mdh01

Mdh01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven’t had much time on the asphalt, mostly off road...Minnesota roads are snow covered now, so it will be next spring before I get out again. However, the minimal time I spent on the road was good and handling was great (haven’t had them on a wet road yet).
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  9. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good in my opinion. There was a noticeable difference in road feel, vibrations and a little more wobble in corners right after swapping out the stock Anakees but after a ride or two I didn’t notice it. Most of my riding is on pavement when I go to work with about two miles of gravel, dirt or mud depending on the weather. The tires do good all around and are much better on anything other than pavement than the Anakees.
    bikeymikey70 likes this.