'76 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert refresh/reawakening after 28 years...!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by radguzzi, Oct 27, 2019.

1. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    Greetings all, new Convert convert here. I am actually a long time Moto Guzzi owner, rider, wrench (aren't we all...?) and first time Convert owner.

This particular old boot, a '76 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert sat dormant since 1991 indicated by the last registration. Actually seems to have been stored properly as bolting comes apart easily and the engine is not stuck... lol :lol3 Good start huh...?

So '76 V1000 Convert barn find status:

Great news, compression checks out well on both cylinders, nice blue spark from the Dyna III, lights work...

The compression check was a little weird, the throttle cables are stuck so I could not open the throttles but I think it is a good reading. We can move forward now. Carbs come off and into the ultrasonic tub. Fluid changes, parts order for brake rebuilds, carb kits, hoses and cables going out.

Getting excited...!

V1000 Convert (12).JPG

V1000 Convert (13).JPG

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

mb8, Mr. Vintage and MZRider like this.
  2. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    So the statement about the Convert having been stored properly may have been just a bit premature...

I had mentioned that the throttle cables are stuck which made the compression check not as proper as it should have been.

Popped the tops off the carbs and the slides are stuck along with the choke plungers... Ooops.

They are soaking in Aerokroil. New fuel lines and dual spigot banjos to eliminate the weird cross over under the carbs will go back it.

Looks innocent enough huh..?

[​IMG]

Stuck, soaking, thinking about what they have done... lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. lobsta

lobsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enter it in Owls Head show next summa.
    ps ,mileage?
    radguzzi likes this.
  4. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    Yup, should be ready be then...! :lol3

18K miles, I am fairly optimistic about the general condition of the engine and drive train. Not seeing any signs of having been molested, butchered or "customized" by previous owners, wiring is in good order, pretty cool really.
    This could be a good candidate for the EME EnDuralast III Charging system upgrade to support better lighting and heated gear.
    Cheers,
    rad__
    numbat likes this.
  5. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    Well I was able to coax the carb slides to move with the help of this stuff... Man, gummed up. It has been sitting since before the days of ethanol fuel so it is merely lacquered instead of what ever happens nowadays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So opened the carbs to clean them up and check the specs against Guzziology... Ha. Not yet. Nice huh...?

[​IMG]

This residue wipes off easily so an ultrasonic bath should clean things up nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This brilliantly designed "Balance" piping will go away, replaced by dual spigot banjos on the carbs and a single cross over to each bowl.

[​IMG]
    mb8 and Cogswell like this.
  6. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    The first carb cleaning session in the ultrasonic. I use a mild mixture of Purple Power and water at about 50 Celsius. (122-ish Fahrenheit.)

Most impressed with the bowl and carb body results, I will run the small parts separately 'cause the solution needs changing, kinda filthy.

Before...

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]
    mb8, Cogswell and spo123 like this.
  7. SuperRat

SuperRat No Longer Lurking

Oddometer:
    No chrome bore cylinders I hope!!!!!
    radguzzi likes this.
  8. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    No sir, iron...
  9. huub

huub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great find, looks like a time capsule.
    i'm not too sure i woul keep the windjammer, but this is how most of them were in the days.
  10. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So how did you find it?
  11. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Following along...taking notes...:D

:lurk
  12. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it will stay, the mounts are a pain to swap out and the headlight would need to be rewired. Not a big ta-do but I'll just leave it on. Until I hate it... :lol3

A friend had it advertised and I hashed it over for the longest time and finally jumped in... He had bought the V1000 from someone near him and then health issues stopped him for proceeding.
  13. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    Seriously EC...? I should be following you with that gorgeous Convert of yours... so I guess I am really. I'll take notes too. :-)
  14. Cycle Goon

Cycle Goon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ****DESPISE****** Windjammer fairings but I actually don't mind it on your bike??? Maybe because the color of the bike and fairing are pretty close? Or, maybe I hate them so much as my dad had a 77 Goldwing with a white one and I currently have a 74 GT750 that's blue with a white fairing-barf!!!!
    If this bike comes out as nice as the Commando you gave a refresh to, it will be something really special.
  15. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    IMG_20180623_122915086_HDR.jpg

Perhaps you should put the tools down...right now...and go get your eyes examined.:lol3
    mb8 likes this.
  16. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    Yup, period fairing, ya either love 'em or hate 'em. It really must stay, I like weather protection, we live in the North East, that should explain it all.

And thanks for the comments however, this is going to be a mechanical refresh only, Not going to be a cosmetic restoration, the patina is perfect (for me), no frame off here. :nono

Pretty excited that there are no leaks or weeps from the ATF hose fittings which can be troublesome on these. It does have the early ('75-'76) flywheel that hopefully holds together, its a crap shoot. If the engine performs well then perhaps I will consider a tear down to replace it.

Not that one ya bonehead...! We know you passed on that boat anchor... You're not right ya know that...? Wouldn't have it any other way.
  17. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    So while we are on the intake side of things...

The stock air filter and housing are in place, miraculously no rodents or traces there of. I am actually a fan of stock airboxes, still air to be introduced to the intake, reasonably free of dirt and moisture however, I really do not like the design of the mid 70's airbox. Ridiculous to get at to change the filter element.

Thinking seriously about swapping for the dual mount K & N filter. It sort of replicates the structure of the stock intake box, attaches to both carbs. But, and this is a big but... rejetting may be required to suit the different filter. Plus, and this is the big one, the crankcase breather system will need to be addressed.

Easy enough by installing the LeMans breather box and pipe the valve cover vents to it...

I'll figure it out but again, still on the fence. In a preliminary inspection of the carb innards, I find that the Main Jets are 125 vs 130 called for stock, according to Guzziology.

After all bits are cleaned I will check the specs to see what else may have been swapped. Always an adventure when following others with no documentation, part of the fun.

More later,
    rad

[​IMG]
    mb8 likes this.
  18. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    :nah

Woulda sent it your way if I had.

:lurk
  19. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    Really... my mistake, :fpalm I thought you passed on that when the red one showed up.

So I didn't mean to poop on that one but Wow..! Gonna be a project for sure... or just make it a sleeper and keep the patina. :1drink

Let's see a photo of the red one.
  20. jay pc

jay pc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From one fan to another, for Pete's sake don't go ditching that airbox, you know it manages engine breathing better than
    anything else on these bikes, and the air filter change is a non-issue, as something else will surely go wrong and force you
    to crab the frame long before it needs changing (they look like new after 50.000 km)!
    I'm running a '79/ 300.000 km T3, and following this with interest, as Converts have always intrigued me.
    I hope you'll eventually report on what it's like to ride it...