76 TS125 - no start - oil on plug -help?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Worroll, May 17, 2018.

1. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 1976 TS125. My buddy got it from an estate sale with a bunch of other bikes. It had no spark, but after a little fiddling with the point I got spark. On a little starting fluid it seemed to putter a very little bit, but then nothing. I pulled the plug and it was covered in oil. It looked like the plug was dipped in oil, not just oily, covered and filled with oil.
    The motor has only 1000 miles on it.
    I've done plenty of work to four strokes, but this is the first 2 stoke I've messed with. I have a few thoughts of where to start looking, but figured I'd ask the experienced guys before I chase the wrong things. It does have the oil injection pump, so not sure if that could have anything to do with it.
    What should I poke at first?
  2. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    The bike has an auto-lube system to mix two-stroke oil with its gasoline from the tank and to directly lube crank bearings.
    I'd wonder if while setting so long, that two-stroke oil hasn't drained from its tank down into the crankcase.
  3. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been sitting a while, I've pondered the crankcase being full of oil, how would one go about draining the oil???
  4. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Some have a drain plug for the crankcase, I don't know about the 125.
    Either way, the optimist will try diluting & flushing the oil out with kerosene rinses, no plug (yes rag over its opening), carb & exhaust pipe, and lots of kick starter & time.
  5. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that's what happened. I pulled the plug, and when I kick the engine over I can hear gurgling noises like it's just sloshing around oil. I don't see a drain. I'm going to try pulling the carb, put the piston at TDC and snake a hose into the crankcase connected to my hand vacuum pump, see if I can get most of it out that way.
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could also be that the seal on the crank is leaking and allowing oil from the clutch side to get sucked into the crankcase. If the plug is that oily, it should be fairly easy to tell the difference between the oil in the auto lube system to the trans oil.
  7. davebeef

davebeef Buffoon

Oddometer:
    No MZ of that vintage has an oil pump. All 'TS' are premix. Strip the carb and tank and clean out with fresh fuel before going any further.
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. davebeef

davebeef Buffoon

Oddometer:
    Sorry, not up on my Japanese stuff.