77RS has to go - just got it too…

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Trpldog, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DFA9644B-83BA-43C2-B67A-ED28859E2D95.jpeg I can’t believe I’m even writing this. I’ve been riding the RS quite a bit lately. I bought it about two months ago. After rebuilding the forks, installing steering head bearings, etc etc, I’ve come a bittersweet conclusion - I probably will be selling it, for a number of reasons. Firstly, and mostly I’m finding the low bar height aggravates an old wrist injury. Secondly, in spite of the bike’s great looks, I’m not caring for the fairing blocking the air flow and consequently adding heat to the cockpit. In addition, the helmet wind noise is way way too much for me. I know some if not all of these issues can be helped by, bars, bigger windscreen, etc, but I initially wasn’t looking for a faired bike, so those mods don’t appeal to me. I bought the bike much because of its heritage and good condition. The good thing is, I’m the second owner and it has some additional goodies installed, a Gerex electronic ignition, handle bar mounted brake master cylinder, and a later year RS shift linkage. Long story short, after getting the bike roadworthy, I’m now looking at this point to move away from the classic bikes as I also wanted the RS for some traveling. Now I see that that particular use wouldn’t work for me. If I am able to sell it, I going to possibly do a 180 and look for a 1150GS. Able to travel in comfort and able to put into use it’s dirt capabilities, as I’ve had a couple years of Suzuki DR experience to help that out. It’s bitter sweet but I can’t get around the real issues I’m having with the RS.
    spokester, Texer and Bigger Al like this.
  2. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Boxer Fan

Oddometer:
    If its any consolation you are not the only one that doesn't like fairings ;-)
    Bigger Al and PaulBarton like this.
  3. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And I wasn’t initially looking a bike with a fairing, but I bought it because it was the bike it was. Its best left alone and not modified for sure. I had a brand new Africa Twin Adventure Sports Honda in 2018 and didn’t have much if any off road experience. The bike proved too heavy for the kind off road riding I wanted to do. I sold it and went to a Triumph Speed Triple for a bit before the RS. Now seeing the RS will not work, the GS is attractive even with its weight because I still have the DR to fool around on and can still easily pick it up. With a GS, I now will stay away from the challenging dirt stuff and take some longer road trips. What a journey it’s been lately. At least the RS is in sellable condition. I won’t be getting a new(er) GS with the sale of the RS but I know there’s help nearby here on the forum.
  4. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my 1150GSA but it won't feel any "smaller" than that AT off-road ;-) I actually bought a KTM 640 Adventure to assume more of the off-road responsibilities (much like your DR does for you). Of course, I've still got the /5 to satisfy my classic airhead needs....
    spo123, Frank smith and patrkbukly like this.
  5. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    That beauty will go quick.
    Frank smith and PaulBarton like this.
  6. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I sold my RS for basically all the same reasons. Now I want it back. Grass is always greener/etc.
    OldCrustyStuff and Texer like this.
  7. shifterkey

shifterkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fairing doesn’t make it a comfortable bike in the summer, especially around here where I live with 100 degree temperatures every day. If you ride in the winter, you may really like it. Or in the rain. If you can work out the ergonomics with K-bike bars or something,a different windshield like you were talking about....
  8. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get a set of '85-'90 K100RS bars. They fit nicely inside the RS fairing. Pull the lowers for warm weather. Cut the windshield down, or get a tall one from Clearview. The RS is a wonderful bike.
    korinthias, BoxerD, lucky6600 and 3 others like this.
  9. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, R80RT, 350 EXC-F Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea about removing the fairing lowers. I removed them to complete a top end reseal and replace the pushrod tube seals. Now that you said it, I'm wondering why I reinstalled them. With Fall around the corner, I'll leave them alone for now, but I'm definitely going to remove them come Spring. I had horrible noise with the stock shield on my RT. I discarded it and went with a Clearview recurve. Extremely quiet now.
    100RT likes this.
  10. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The GS would be the street bike that can get a little dirty as opposed to my previous naive Africa Twin mindset of “I’m Chris Birch and I can go anywhere and do anything.”
    globalt38 and PaulBarton like this.
  11. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sat on one with the K bars, but that wasn’t really enough to change the tide, and here in SoCal the winters are hotter than other places summers. In addition, I thought the RS would be a more comfortable touring mount than it is and it’s just more work to ride than I want to put in.
  12. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can understand that. I would probably trade it for a very nice upright stock R80, R90, or R100.
  13. shifterkey

Oddometer:
    The lowers are off mine nearly half the time, or at least it seems that way. They’ve been off all winter more than once and it was still not bad, The bike seemed quieter too without as much engine noise echoing around in the cockpit. I’ll have to look at the Clearview windshield.
    Frank smith likes this.
  14. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One good thing I did that helped immensely was taking the Jim Hyde two day adventure bike riding class here in California. It was expensive but worth it - learned running deep sand, downhill braking, etc etc. I would probably still have the Africa Twin Adventure Sport if I had stepped back, assessed my true limitations and had picked up the DR I have now back then to do the rougher stuff I wanted. The RS certainly isn’t a Dalton Highway bike - ha ha. Live and learn.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  15. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you go with the Clearview, get the vent!

clearview shield.jpg
    spokester and Frank smith like this.
  16. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try telling @ME109 that. :lol3

The RS is a very compelling motorcycle because it looks so damn cool, but as you discovered, the reality of riding one can be less appealing. Like tequila, it’s really an acquired taste that isn’t for everyone and the low and narrow riding position can be difficult to adapt to. It’s really a specialized bike, designed and built for the open road and it will zoom along at 100+ mph as if it were on rails. The wide-open, untrafficked spaces of the west are really where it comes into it’s own. Big mountain passes and sweepers. Weather? Crosswinds? Pfffft…There’s no bike I’d rather ride coast to coast. Like wrench said, they are indeed truly wonderful bikes…amazing really. But if it doesn’t speak to you, then yes, pass it on and chances are the next guy will come to the same conclusion you did. :lol3
    Davey107, spo123, ME 109 and 2 others like this.
  17. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, R80RT, 350 EXC-F Supporter

Oddometer:
    spokester and Arktasian like this.
  18. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    No vent option for the RS folks, but we get it... they work.
  19. shifterkey

Oddometer:
    It looks like the parabellum shield that was on mine when I bought it. It was too high so I got the stock one. Too low and noisy or turbulent but it stayed on there. I’m sure the vent makes a difference. Can you see over yours? I’m not real tall. Oh I see, both bikes pictured are RT, but there is one available for RS? I’m looking online now
  20. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. Nicer to look at then ride - at least for me. At my age, I can ride now better than I can walk. I want a bike that I can ride. Been doing it since 1973 and I ain’t got time to look and not touch.
    spo123 likes this.