77RS has to go - just got it too…

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Trpldog, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you basically follow the stock top contour but made it shorter, or did you cut a different shape to the top? Did it help any?
  2. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Followed the stock shape, just trimmed off the up turned lip so actually it is slightly flatter side to side. Huge decrease in buffeting. I'm about 6' (but shrinking) so fairly tall upper body and my face was right in the buffeting zone.
  3. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great.
    Thanks.
  4. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you date a Supermodel - haha.

E30657A0-7B8E-4534-AEDB-7267EF4A0815.jpeg
    Fun stuff.
  5. tgtav8tor

tgtav8tor tgtav8tor

Oddometer:
    That’s a good looking garage. Full disclosure: I have the same two bikes. Ok, my RS is a monolever. Your absolutely right. The fairing, beautiful as it is can be problematic. I have a Parabellum that’s been cut down to about 12”. I’m not using it, so you could have it for the price of shipping. It does have a small crack emanating from one of the mounting holes, but I’m sure it could be successfully stop-drilled.
  6. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to wait a bit on modifying the screen. I just bought a original type seat cover and I will be having a local upholstery shop construct the foam to have the stock height seat, which will be higher than the seat the bike has on it now. In addition, I have a set of K75S bars coming. I'm hoping that between the higher seat and the more upright sitting, I'll be above most of the wind buffeting noise, even with the factory screen. we shall see. Thanks!
  7. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I'm late to the party, and I've not read all 8 pages or so.

The RS was pretty famous back in the day for all the OP suggests
    Loud windscreen, low bars, and hot cockpit.

And I'm sure plenty of folks have given you tips on how to fix those points.

I know I'm in the minority when I look at the RS and I just don't like it or the RT
    The fairings always looked way to big, they didn't carry the cool factor the R90S did, and that small round fairing.

I'd much rather be on a naked bike then a faired bike with a loud windscreen and hot cockpit.

And now that I'm older and more broken, the low bars, which look great are no longer comfortable.

There's nothing wrong with moving a bike out of the garage that you thought you would like, it's bummer that you spent money on it.
    but hopefully you can at least get it back, if not make a few bucks on the bike.
  8. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve owned 3 Buells - beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. Proof - ha ha.
    Also, my wife married me. - more proof.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  9. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also there are options here for reproduction covers and foam, if you are not familiar with B2V?

https://www.boxer2valve.com/52-seat.html

I have the the new foam core on a 90s. Not identical seating position, but close.

It does move your seated orientation upwards about 1-2 inches and the foam is much more dense and firm. I like it.
  10. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much. The timing was perfect. I stopped at a local auto trim upholstery shop this morning on the way to work to inquire about having the seat cover installed and the trim guy only works by appointment only now. The foam for the RS on the B2V site is perfect. I’ll thinking that for the upholstery guy to make a seat foam for my new seat cover from scratch would certainly cost more than the B2V pre-fab one. Made my morning, thanks! I’m wondering how difficult it would be to get a decent looking install on the RS if I did it myself. I haven’t yet looked at what all needs to be done to install the new foam and new cover and have it look good. I bought the reproduction German made seat cover from Bobs BMW. I’m assuming that seat cover and the B2V foam are close.
  11. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    You bet....

Recovering an S seat is a bit more tricky than some other airhead models.

Yours should have riveted plates that hold the cover on the underside of the seat.

With a good rivet gun and rivets AND some patience, you could do this yourself. Sometimes with the S covers, you can only get one shot to get it right.
    G/S seat foam and covers and stapled on and were a breeze to install on my own.
    Easy enuff to install the foam on the pan and have a look at how the cover fits/stretches to see if you have some wiggle room in positioning the cover and getting the rivet/plates on.

That said, I erred on the side of caution and had a local shop install the foam and cover on the S seat.

Cheers!!
  12. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I’m thinking the same thing. That’s what they do. I haven’t looked to see how the seat pan, and cowl is attached and removed from the bike yet. Hopefully it’s not some mid-seventies German exercise in complication and complexity for a simple assembly.
  13. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    Getting the seat out of the cowl is just a matter of removing some phillips screws.

Here's hoping the reconfig on the seat and K bars will afford you a bit more comfort on the RS.

I had same bike---a 77 RS---in stock form---20 years ago and loved it.

I had the dual set but never used it.

Old photobucket pic....
    RSRTBIG.jpeg
    Trpldog likes this.
  14. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice. What windscreen is that? Not too gigantic. I just rode the RS to lunch and then switched out to my DR 650 to go back to work. The RS is sure long, slow steering and awkward around town - but when given some space to stretch its legs, it comes into its own. The motor is a peach. It’s a bit strange looking at certain angles, it’s quirky and out of the ordinary, but I’ve had all the cookie cutter bikes in the last 40 years. If I do all I can do to get comfortable, and I fail, I’ll look for a quirky naked airhead. I test rode a 1250GS for fun a week ago. Felt like I was on a computer riding remotely. It did steer wonderfully light. Other than that.
  15. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    Stock screen.

Correct tire size (follow manual), tire pressure and properly adjusted steering head (bearing and tightness) also play into how the RS will handle in town. That said, you are 100 on noting it's best served out on the open road rather than around town driving.
  16. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m tooling around town with tires that were on the bike when it was last registered in 1995. Not recommended, but not cracked and they will hold air until I can switch them out. I replaced the steering head bearings and rebuilt the forks. Feels good mechanically, the geometry and current tires make it slow(er) turning in. I’m getting low in the RS refurb fund, so I got to get this critter more comfortable for me ASAP.
  17. Derek_S

Derek_S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put Michelin Pilot actives on my RS and increase the air pressure to 34/38 and it made a lot of difference in the handling. I don't know what pressure is your running but maybe just start with something about higher than what the manual / Fairing specifies and you might see a significant difference
  18. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    +1 on a touch higher on recommended air pressure. Especially when installing new tires. Rubber compounds have changed since 77.
  19. tgtav8tor

tgtav8tor tgtav8tor

Oddometer:
    No worries. The offer will stand till I get around to putting it up for sale elsewhere. FYI, as I recall K75s bars will require you to move the instrument cluster, as there’s not enough room between it and the controls. I did that mod a long time
    No worries. The offer will hold for the time being. A long time ago I mounted K75s bars on my RS and discovered that the controls interfered with the instrument cluster. I moved it forward by modifying it's mounting location on the underside of the top triple clamp. But it's been so long ago I can't remember what I did. Some years later I put bar-backs on it that moved the bars up and back about 1.5", and replaced the mount with a new one. Good luck.
  20. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve swapped pans, foam and covers around after buying several the had different good and bad bits to make a few decent ones out of parts

you unscrew the Allen bolts and remove the cowl. Drill out the rivets and peel the cover off the pan, and then remove the foam from the pan.

if you have a rivet gun, reassembly isn’t hard if you warm the cover as you stretch it into place