77RS has to go - just got it too…

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Trpldog, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Cletus Runswithscissorsguy

Cletus Runswithscissorsguy hiding in plain sight

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Another one keeps an RS!
    I've got a Euro '77. Hated it for a bit, made some small changes and have put over 100K on it since.
    It's not a new bike. It's quirky and takes some dedication and seat time to really appreciate it's virtues.
    After a 'teething in' period, I've coaxed 2 other friends on RS's. They also love theirs.....

That wrist is going to be the deciding factor, though. No matter what- in town and before the wind helps take some of the pressure off, it's gonna hurt.

But I'm glad you decided to give it a chance. The 77's are the absolute best, purest year for the RS.

[​IMG]

FWIW, and everyone has their own opinion..... I love the Michelin Pilot Activ's. I run them at higher pressures.. 40 front, 42 rear.. And yes, I can easily drag the jugs. It takes the squirelly feel out of the tires for me. I regularly hunt down sport bikes on the curviest of roads.. An upper fork brace does wonders.

I hope you enjoy your RS for years to come! They are absolutely fantastic motorcycles.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Even cops love 'em!
    OldCrustyStuff, spo123 and Willsfree like this.
  2. Trpldog

Trpldog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even the air has changed
    Ha ha - thanks for the post - was a pleasure to read and encouraging, as I was about to abandon ship when I received the wrong seat foam last week. It seemed like one thing after another was pushing me to sell it (even cheaply) to be done with it. Just received the K75S bars. I’m going to try them, which looks like a front brake line change is in order. Oi. Still dealing with getting a correct seat foam and getting a cracked seat pan repaired. The bike is still growing on me no doubt. I’m thinking that even with its ergo, heat and transmission clunkisms, it would be a tough act to follow as far as uniqueness and quirky personality goes.
    PS what windscreen do you have? Does it help with buffeting wind noise? Looks nice.
    Joe
  3. Cletus Runswithscissorsguy

Cletus Runswithscissorsguy hiding in plain sight

Oddometer:
    I have no idea which screen it is. I traded a guy for it in a parking lot at a Euro bike night. I had this Beach screen that offered NO noise and it was straight as a board. I didn't like it, he did. So a deal was struck. It's a touch larger than the stock one and hasn't really helped with the noise over stock.
    But that's part of the charm of the bike. And the frame flex. And when you catch some sun on the gauge cluster and see it moving on a long sweeper, you'll know you need the Toaster Tan upper fork brace. That thing right there is one of the best improvements ever.

The trick is getting to know it, the quirky crowd that comes with it and making it yours over time. It's a pretty damn rewarding experience.

Especially fun is going to some sort of BMW event and seeing others on '77's and comparing notes.

Super cool bikes!

Here's a pic from 15 years ago with the Beach screen. The only pic I can find.. This might actually be what you're looking for....

[​IMG]

I'm actually the guy in red, and @ducmays is getting fondled by my wife......
    Jim K in PA likes this.