790/890 Adventure / R / Rally owners, show yours!

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by a.c.e., Apr 17, 2019.

1. Hico

Hico n00b

Oddometer:
    Ageed I have both the 350 and 790 in the stable now. Great two bike combo!!
    Venturer likes this.
  2. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    The 350 / 790 combo makes a lot of sense. Maybe we need a new thread for it?
    Venturer and Hico like this.
  3. Endurance1986

Endurance1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went for another ride today, after cleaning everything off. Same results, it’s definitely leaking. My guess at this point is the crank seal behind the sprocket. I will ride until the first service is due and then take it to the dealership. Very disappointed.
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer bud sorry....Rode one today his was leaking too...the sump seal.....his take is that the 600 mile service is basically an oil change....

Well if you have to take in your leaking sump seal at 600 miles...the free warranty repair dictates and oil change for free....sooooo....he is taking in his own oil filter hahahahaah
  5. jaylude

jaylude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seen today in the Italian Dolomites, Northern Italy @ Passo Giau. I hiked in, not biked in, but enjoyed seeing the hardware! I have been seeing lots of electric KTM mountain bikes here in Northern Italy as well.

Attached Files:

6. NomorBills

NomorBills WesternExplorer

Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ
    55FB69A8-EF05-43B4-8C62-E3F4EFCD7D8B.jpg

Such a big change
    braaap!, Kona990, Hico and 2 others like this.
  7. Mike in Roswell

Mike in Roswell Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, Pretty new rider and just wonder if anyone has any follow-up comments about which riding modes they find most useful in which combinations for different situations? I at least would appreciate some feedback
  8. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike, there really is no combination of settings that make the "proper settings" other than the ones that make the bike behave the way you want it to do.

ABS: Some folks prefer a bike with it completely disabled, some prefer it to be active on both wheels at all times, others like me seem to get along with it pretty well with it on "Offroad" mode which is front ABS active, rear turned off for just about any situation (meaning I just leave it there, LOL). Having it active on the front provides a bit of a safety blanket for the unexpected and for the occasional dumb brain fart. Having it turned off on the rear allows for brake slides and locking the rear in some downhill situations if desired. Though it also means you can slide the back end out too far and have to stay on it until the dust settles or risk a nice highside.

Throttle response profiles: Rally throttle response is kind of nice but I seem to notice the slight throttle lag a bit more in that mode and unless I'm very fresh the throttle is twitchier than my fine motor skills can cope with in technical terrain. So for me it's "Street" almost all of the time. Have not found a situation where I felt I needed or would be helped by rain or offroad modes.

TC: Unlike other bikes I've ridden TC on the 790 seems to rarely be overly intrusive for me at my pace (YMMV) . I have not spent a lot of time trying to really get to know the fine differences in response to rear wheel slip that the various TC levels provide. The most noticeable difference in TC levels that I've noted are when gradually accelerating or holding a near constant throttle when the rear starts to slip. So I generally find myself at 5-7 though I am still playing with 1-9 upon occasion to see if there is a particular scenario where either would be the obvious choice. I shoud note I haven;t ridden the bike in deep sand or ice. It may be there that it becomes very obvious.

Experiment, go with what works for you. Don't sweat what anyone else thinks. ;)
    Venturer, FireDog45 and Fabricator like this.
  9. nomeranger7

nomeranger7 Always an Adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    We still haven't gotten either the KTM 790 Adv or the 790 Adv-R in Alaska...I know, because I am the guy who will receive them and build them when they FINALLY arrive!! The Motorcycle Shop is the biggest KTM Dealership in Alaska...hopefully they will arrive this week??
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    This ride review / test might answer some questions going round...

11. devotionliner

devotionliner Armadillo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked mine up Wednesday.

As delivered 6926899D-D902-48B9-9248-F6DDC0DA9BD5.jpeg

110D8CD5-8AB7-48EB-9DE1-1B1B18988CBB.jpeg

The anticipation after waiting months
    2B1D6FBA-99D0-4A4E-935F-E1230675913F.jpeg

Love it! With a 30” inseam, I’ll need a lower seat. I believe the non-R 2 piece seat has a low position? If anyone wants to sell theirs let me know.
    92330D23-1933-4312-A000-A707933340DE.jpeg

However, after about 150 miles I noticed a similar leak as endurance1986.

080E89FC-5564-4103-8EBC-07219C28CAC6.jpeg
  12. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Is it that bad? 28" inseam here with no issues on the non-R.
  13. devotionliner

devotionliner Armadillo Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me, yes. I’m 5’ 8” and have to shift off to one side to get a flat foot down. I can get both feet down but only on my toes and thus no leverage to push or shift the bike. I’m not comfortable with that off road, loose gravel, etc.
    Eddy Alvarez likes this.
  14. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    I can see that. Mountain biking this morning, I can only develop real power on my old Trek with the seat up much higher than I like, and the frame is already a few sizes larger than I like. I have to "strategically dismount" by figuring out which foot will have the best chance at traction, then unclip that foot in advance of the stop and slump to that side. Not the most fun but it works..... Except days like today where I fell over.
  15. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had that too, I wiped it away and it hasn’t come back. I believe mine was from the chain.
    Allucaneat likes this.
  16. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why would you have to push the bike with both tippy toes when it has a motor?
    At 5’8” also, I’ve never owned a motorcycle I can flat foot. Grip it and rip it.
  17. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190629_190911_032.jpg
    Snowq, StanBo, redneckK20 and 7 others like this.
  18. nhbubba

nhbubba Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer:
    Backing up maybe?!?

One of the items on the try before nhbubba buys list is with regards to that seat height. Wondering how much the fool I’d be dropping an unobtainium $15k motorbike in a public lot.

Not to say this is a deal breaker. (You know me.) But rather to say I identify with that struggle. It it legitimate.
    chippertheripper likes this.
  19. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dismount. Make it happen. Wheelie into the sunset.
    nhbubba likes this.
  20. nhbubba

nhbubba Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer:
    Ah. Yes. My strength as a rider.
    chippertheripper likes this.