790/890 Adventure / R / Rally owners, show yours!

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by a.c.e., Apr 17, 2019.

1. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    @jojojones I do have a GPX but it’s from someone else so not sure I should share it.
  2. jojojones

jojojones Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m stuck in NY but was riding Utah last fall. I have a library now of many gpx tracks from all over the country. Your video was great and I would enjoy analyzing the location data using the gpx but I understand if your friend does not want to share. In other sports we do not share…like road racing we do not share our AIM files…we don’t want a competitor knowing anything about our driver input and vehicle performance.
  3. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am all good with sharing it Dan....thanks for looking out though
    chippertheripper and EvilSteve like this.
  4. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    But what if I'm not OK with it?!?!?

:lol3
    Nowwhat and EvilSteve like this.
  5. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
  6. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please add me to your distribution list also. :)
  7. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    My trip down this section of Forest Trail 157 ended with me turning around and having basically 0 confidence. The bit that I stopped at was a steep, rock-stepped, short climb next to what was basically a cliff. I was scared like a lot.

I meant to say that this is shot using the GoPro Hero 10 black at 4k at 60fps.

8. Vicresendez

Vicresendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sometimes using the correct tool for the job makes more sense
  9. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    Nah, it’s fine, should have taken a GSA up there. :D
    Vicresendez and SoilSampleDave like this.
  10. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn dude, that shit looks terrifying...

Don't kill yourself.
  11. Chivvalry

Chivvalry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy.... ummm... no. I was scared just watching that.
  12. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    Being serious for a second: I won’t go near there again, I had two people helping me at the time (who were legends). I ride by myself a lot and would have just turned around even on my wife’s 250 exc-f.

Back to not serious:
    You’re not the boss of me.
  13. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol...

Those quaking Aspen are unreal. Beautiful up there. Thanks for posting the video. I enjoy a good cliff hanger. :)
    NewEnglander and EvilSteve like this.
  14. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, despite what the heros say, the 790/890 is not an optimal single track bike! If you dump it off one of those side-hill trails, you're going to need to have a large posse of strong dudes to help get it back on the trail. That scenario has had me pondering extraction contraptions such as compact block and tackle setups.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  15. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    I have the winch rope in my bike that Birch recommends for recovery but I should really practice with it. You’re right though, the side-hill thing wasn’t great.

For the record, yes, having an actual dirt bike/enduro is the way to go. I’m always impressed with what the 790 will do but it’s bloody tiring.

Here’s the video from FT177. I rendered this at 4K at 30fps. Honestly, this trail was not that big a deal.

16. Chivvalry

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've one of these MRS systems... I practiced with it once and have never (thankfully) had to use it yet. (knock on wood)
    MRS.jpg
    STLR and EvilSteve like this.
  17. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    Chivvalry and STLR like this.
  18. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the one. I have used mine exactly once, and am glad I brought it on that trip. It would have been a very costly endeavor otherwise.
    There are a few others on the market too, like the offering from Green Chile: https://greenchileadv.com/products/gcag-z-drag-recovery-system
    Chivvalry and EvilSteve like this.
  19. Chivvalry

Oddometer:
    EvilSteve likes this.
  20. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The MRS systems are one of the better MC specific recovery systems out there. I'm not a huge fan of using prusiks as progress capture devices except in a pinch because they can be prone to jamming in the pulley. Using something like a Petzel Micro traction is more dependable and fool proof progress capture device and serves double duty as one of the required pulleys.

The efficiency of the pulleys used in any block and tackle system has a huge impact on how close the actual mechanical advantage is compared to the theoretical advantage. That's the problem with the Green Chili system, it's a nice compact system but inefficient. Probably fine for a lightweight dirtbike but would be a struggle with anything heavier.

I pack a 5-1 compound system I put together when riding solo in more technical terrain these days. The disadvantage of the 5-1 system is you need more rope to reach out as far but being a compound system offsets that to some degree and the difference in effort on a heavy bike like the 790 is very noticeable.

I really enjoyed watching him use the rope on the rear tire trick. The ultimate in simplicity and a cool way to get out of a pinch! I've wanted to try it but have some reservations about possible damage as it spins up between the spokes and swingarm. Also he also didn't show trying to get it unwound back out of the rear wheel afterwards and Dyneema has a very low melting temp. Not sure if the friction as it wrapped around the hub and tightened under the load would be enough to reach the melting point or not, but if it did then getting it unwound from the hub might require some time with a sharp knife.