790/890 Soft Luggage Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Nowwhat, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure we have a thread on soft luggage yet.....

Post 'em up....

I have my day ride set up and my up to 3 day in a Hotel set up...but not sure how I am going to set up the bike for moto camping...

3 day 20210102_110822.jpg
  2. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya... Got an ~18 day route planned this summer, but dread the thought of over packing.

I'm still gonna live by my rule of <50 lbs of gear.

So I'll forego the fancy luggage systems, and just rely on well secured dry bags. I'm sure I'll think differently in the future, but that's my outlook on 2021.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  3. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know my current setup. Wolfman Day Trippers are my base and practically always on the bike. They carry my tools, spare tube, mini compressor, some extra water and such. Mosko Reckless 80 is my big ride setup and slips over top of the mounted Daytrippers neatly.

I can strip the Reckless 80 off at camp/motel and still have my basics on board in the day trippers for local exploring at the destination.

I also have a Kreiga US-10 that I occasionally use as a tail bag for motel weekend/overnighters when I want just a little more storage than the Daytrippers offer but don't want the weight and bulk of the Mosko 80.

Set up for a day ride:
    [​IMG]

Full travel set-up. If you look really close you can see the front edge of the day trippers which are still mounted and loaded up peeking out from under the R80. It's a wider load packed this way but only by a little.
    [​IMG]
    Jahredi, Perun, CarterFury and 3 others like this.
  4. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    day ride or overnight setup: dryspec roll bag (expands to 29l) and sw motech tank bag -also expandable.

20201115_143523.jpg

moto camping setup: magadan panniers and velomacchi 50l bag, which contains all my camping gear. if multiday ride and not moto camping, then only panniers and no 50l bag.

20200522_153640 (1).jpg
  5. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    interesting that first three posts now run single caliper front brake. and... rottweiler crg mirror kit.
    Dan Lorenze, CarterFury and Nowwhat like this.
  6. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    If you have 80l of space odds are you will use it... hahahaha if your set up was a total of 50l could you have done your last trip out here comfortably?
  7. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My EDC - Mosko Moto Reckless 10. Contains: Tool kit, spare tube, air pump, and medkit.
    1869481E-9845-4508-9D73-911203A4E2FF_1_201_a.jpeg

My travel setup - Mosko Moto Reckless 80
    497E7A4E-A795-4D6A-9AA1-6A49869891D3_1_201_a.jpeg
    Perun, Braapncamp, jaumev and 4 others like this.
  8. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    For lightweight summer weekend camping I just use a dryspec 38l duffel. It holds everything.
    Sadly, I’ve not ventured longer than a weekend.
    Cooler weather requires more, and I have used my hard bags for that so far.
    nibby and Nowwhat like this.
  9. nibby

nibby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is my normal setup, tools/tube under seat and side pods - coffee/cooker etc in enduristan tail which takes 10 seconds to get into, chair on top, tent, clothes in 38L rolltop - the bigger I go the more sh** I seem to take with me and don't use so 38L is enough for me - I like to get into an out of stuff pretty quick and easy - if going a bit hardcore I'll take the GL Coyote with a smaller rolltop. Works well 20200724_133925.jpg
    Dan D., Nowwhat and chippertheripper like this.
  10. linssen

linssen Wil

Oddometer:
    Big fan of the Kriega OS. This is the 24l combo. I took this for a 10 day TET trip, back when we were allowed out.

If you're interested, I did a write up of all the gear I took, where it went, and how it performed for Adventure Spec, over here.
    DSC02661.jpg
    David_Moen, Perun, grace and 4 others like this.
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Short answer is yes, I could get by with less, but perhaps not quite as comfortably. The range of temps and weather one runs into can be pretty extreme on a long trip which makes having some extra clothing layers, spare gloves, heavier sleeping bag and an insulated air mattress, etc all very nice things to have along. The space of the R80 does promote bringing more than the absolute minimum though. That said, there was nothing in my loadout that I didn't use at some point during this last trip.

I could do without the camp chair stuffed in one of the rear pockets, I could go with a one man tent, lighter sleeping bag, more compact (thinner) air mattress, eliminate any off the bike clothing and shoes, and eliminate spare socks and drawers and just wash more or smell worse. ;)

If I did all that I could probably squeak by with an R40 with the larger stinger that comes with the R80 up top (or something similar) and still camp and be out for a long time. I hope my next trip I will get back to more of an "overlanding, shoot for the unknown" type riding again because I find it more enjoyable. If I do I will be looking to trim back the total loadout so I will undoubtedly stink more, if nothing else.
    Nowwhat, EvilSteve and nibby like this.
  12. wolfmanluggage

wolfmanluggage Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use our B-Base and Rolie Bags WP.
    Small Rolies for Extended Day Rides. Medium and Large for Extended Overnights. A lone Small or Medium for short Rides where tubes and tools are all that's needed. Very Stable and simple. Woof!e
    3 Smalls and Bottle Holster.
    advr sms.jpeg
    3-Large on CABDR.
    lgadvr.jpeg
    Lone Small.
    sm advr.jpeg
    transalper, Perun, Bike Guy and 4 others like this.
  13. turn_one

turn_one Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great topic for me at the moment.

Previously owned a Mosko Backcountry 35 set up. Continuously dreaded getting my foot caught in one of those ankle breakers behind me during what always turns into a trip seeking out harder paths, so those got sold and R80 V3s purchased. Earlier this year I did a 10 day, living off the bike trip in CO with them on a 1090 where the mission was fishin and seeking out above mentioned harder lines. They worked well. Since then I've acquired a 790 Rally and I feel the R80s don't fit as solidly on this bike without some sort of support, mainly on the left side (kind of like @windblown101 setup). There's a lot of Dumbo-ear-like-flapping going on that I can't see a way to control without additional strapping, supports and even still it's beyond my level of acceptability. I had a plastic tool roll mounted inside on a Perun rack that was broke off (plastic mounting brackets physically snapped) because of this 'flapping'. I essentially mounted that tool roll there as an exhaust-like support for the left side bag. This on my first 4 day ride with this 790 of which there was plenty of road but also single track whoops and tons of rocks.

I'm not seeing a way to get any soft bag to not do this without additional support so maybe I'm coming full circle back to racks and soft bags. I'm thinking of a ~2 day set up (favoring the Kriega OS) and then another bit of kit for 3-10 + day rides. If going the rack route I too am eyeing the Tusk option but not sure what I'll put on them. That said I'll have a set of V3 R80s for sale as soon as I get them cleaned up. They're excellent and keeping beer cold. IMG_8896.jpg
    Jahredi, Dan Lorenze, Perun and 3 others like this.
  14. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my 790 I used the R40, with the Stinger 22? on top.
    Worked great for week long trips.

20190716_154028.jpg
    jaumev, EvilSteve and Nowwhat like this.
  15. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Yep. I've run into that issue on the 790 and other bikes as well with the Mosko R80. The Daytrippers solved that problem for me this year. Last year I solved it with a piece of 1/2" conduit I fabbed up into a brace for the left side of the 790. I have some photos with details of it somewhere here in the forum but can't recall where. Probably one of the mega threads... In this fitment video you can see how it prevents the left side holster from swinging in and getting into the path of the swingarm around the 5:38 mark.
  16. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Big Fan of your stuff....

I actually have a mint set of your Enduro Light bags I think they were called...Side bags and a top duffle that are waterproof and weigh nothing empty....I am going to start with those for my first moto camping trip...
    wolfmanluggage likes this.
  17. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Nice flexible setup there!
    wolfmanluggage likes this.
  18. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very interested in that setup once you find info, @windblown101.
  19. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Every 2 years I get an itch to go moto camping....Then I get an itch to not do it again for 2 years...Met up with a couple guys Sat that were all set up camping...gave me the itch again....Probably will just ride to @EvilSteve 's house and camp in his yard in case I need to use the restroom...

I really liked my 2 day 790 ride this weekend...need to make it more of a focus vs the smaller bikes...

Plus I just found my Jet boil hahahaha
    SFCootz, TrailTrauma, CaseyB and 4 others like this.