790 A Front Ergo (Heated) Seat

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by JETalmage, Jan 12, 2020.

1. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM's Powerparts Ergo Seat (Heated) 63507940000 (front)

This note occurs on KTM's website (and most any other major KTM site) describing the 790 Adventure -specific heated seat:

The seat heating function must be activated following mounting using the KTM diagnostics tool at your local KTM dealer.

Ordered shortly after buying the bike in late October, it finally arrived first week in January. No printed instructions come in the box; only a single sheet telling you to go to www.KTM.com to download the PDF FITTING INSTRUCTIONS document. It did not provide a specific URL to that document, so it took some digging, but I finally found it. Understand: this document is 790-specific.

I installed the seat, following the instructions to the letter. The seat comes with a control button that you mount on the little pop-out plastic panel on the right side of the headlight fairing and plug to a matching pigtail inside the rat's nest of wiring in the headlight support.

That document tells you how to install the seat, but does not say one word about how it is supposed to operate.

As someone else reported in this forum, I found that upon installation and pressing the button, the seat worked. However...

Sequential presses of the button cycle it through three colors: green, red, orange, corresponding to the three heat levels. But there is no OFF setting.

When you turn the ignition off, the button icon stops glowing. When you switch the ignition back on, the button glows the same color it was when the ignition was turned off, implying that the seat is on. But it's not. The heater doesn't come back on until you press the button at least once, thereby, of course, changing it to the next heat setting.

Making bad enough worse, that glowing icon on the button is so dim it's practically impossible to discern what color it's glowing when riding in daylight.

Of course, I assumed this less-than-intuitive behavior was because The seat heating function must be activated following mounting using the KTM diagnostics tool at your local KTM dealer.

So I dutifully schedule a time with my dealer's service department to have it activated, assuming I would thereafter have a setting on the instrument panel by which to turn this $300 half-seat on or off.

That was yesterday (Saturday morning). The technician hooked up the KTM diagnostics tool, searched its documentation, looked through all the settings, finally gave up in frustration, and called KTM US to ask where the dang setting was to activate. The guy at KTM US spent some time looking into it and then told my dealer's technician that this heated seat is the only KTM Powerparts heated seat that does not have to be activated following mounting using the KTM diagnostics tool at your local KTM dealer.

Um...okay. So you're riding along, getting your backside toasty, and decide it's time to turn it off. How do you do that? Surely you don't have to pull over somewhere, turn off the ignition, and restart the bike, just to turn off a heated seat and continue on your way?!

At this point no one knows. KTM US was only available for a half day on Saturday. So at this point, that's exactly what I have to do to turn the seat off. And as explained above, after doing that and continuing on my way, the button glows (if it's a cloudy day so you can barely see it) while the seat makes no heat.

Has anyone got one of these installed and actually working in sensible fashion?

JET
  2. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Hope someone chimes as I have heated seat due in soon.
  3. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    spoke to a guy that has the heated seats.

he states
    orange = off
    green = low
    red = high
    No-Fret likes this.
  4. Kaoslash

Kaoslash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have it and I can confirm:
    Orange (default) : off
    First press -> green : low
    Second press -> red : high
    Third press -> back to orange.

The same apply to the passenger heated seat (with independent button).
    No-Fret and gsuks like this.
  5. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Added to the FAQ. Ta.
  6. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Art!
  7. Kaoslash

Kaoslash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your work, I can take some pictures if need be.
  8. Anidemsaiasi

Anidemsaiasi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine is still hot on orange, i pull it off.
  9. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-1-13_22-18-0.png

JET
  10. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Anidemsaiasi

Anidemsaiasi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had both seats, level 1 is not off.
  12. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no electric butt warmer, so no idea. Just elaborating on @Kaoslash post
    If there were 3 settings with increasing heat levels plus off (least heat level), then it would be a 4 level seat, not a 3 level seat...
  13. Kaoslash

Kaoslash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is 3 state with 2 different heat level and 1 off position, and it cycles as follow:
    off (orange light) -> low heat (green) -> high heat (red) -> off (orange)...

If your seat is heating at orange level when you are turning on ignition you have a problem with your wiring.
  14. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a linky to here, and to another install, showing pics. Good enough. Thanks.
    Kaoslash likes this.
  15. Anidemsaiasi

Anidemsaiasi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This weekend gonna test all again!
  16. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed mine, but haven't ridden with it yet. I also have Orange/Green/Red (no off indicator). Will be going for a ride tomorrow. I'm OK with two heat levels, but I would expect "Off" to be "LED Not Lit", which is why I came searching here! If it really has to be key-off to turn off heat that'll be disappointing, and hopefully something addressed in a software update for the bike (it appears to be computer controlled, even if not integrated into the dash-board controls. Honestly I'm really surprised that there's an external switch, rather than controlling it through the dash menu.
  17. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I just installed mine...initial impression is "oh crap, I just wasted 500 bucks" due to how hard the seat is.

What do you guys who have ridden on it think? Comfy, or nightmare with heating elements?
  18. Kaoslash

Kaoslash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At first I thought that it could have been more comfy. Then I rode with it and I don't pay attention to the seat anymore so it's fine for me.
  19. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two days ~4 hours back to back in 30-40f conditions. Heat was good, and I felt like it was more comfortable than my stock R seat (~8,000mi on that seat). On the stock R seat, I was looking for a break after 60-90 minutes on the highway, no such issue on the Ergo.
  20. maxbeemer

maxbeemer n00b

Oddometer:
    Just installed min after 20k KM on the std seat... ERGO is harder but maybe it will become softer over time..?