790 Adv R mapping.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Bamboo Baby, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Bamboo Baby

Bamboo Baby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe this will help someone, I dont know. Not sure what maps or octane fuel you guys are using?

After I did the Sharon Exhaust and Unifilter my bike was crap. Like in super crap.

I asked our Dealer advice, and he had a talk to Headoffice.
    They struggled with a few bikes here, were the riders complained about running too lean. So KTM here, said they were looking for a solution for a few months now.

We only run 93 and 95 Octane fuel. There is a 91 Octane map on the KTM system. We were not allowed to load the 91 map, as KTM said its for other countries with lower octane fuel than us.

After alot of head scratching with the lean story, our KTM Headoffice loaded the 91 map on their test bikes, and it seams to solve the problem.

Few days ago our Dealers were given the go ahead, to load the 91 map on our bikes, without loosing Warranty. Mine was the first to be done at my Dealer.

After my Exhaust and De Cat,bike could not reach speeds above 180kmh anymore.

So after the 91 map was uploaded.....

Bike starts first time, everytime.
    Revs up in neutral double as fast.
    It idles smoother, and quieter.(engine)
    It clocks 210kmh again like it used to.
    Heat from the headers in slow traffic is gone by half.
    The 6000rpm punch is gone, BUT, it pulls much stronger from 1000rpm until redline, so you cant feel the switch over from closed loop to open loop anymore.

Explanation I was given by KTM, because the map is for 91 octane, it makes the bike run a bit richer through the rev range to "compensate" for the 91 octane, that we obviously dont have now in the tank.

For me, this map solved my problem for sure! I was busy to order a Powercommander, but wont anymore.

I have read where the guys say at the top the bike is too rich etc, so some would say why will even more richer solve the problem. I dont have the answer, all I can say is my bike runs like clappers now, and Im happy.

@Noneking
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Nice man, happy for ya!

We run 95 ROZ/95 RON/91 PON here so 91 at the pump. I wonder if they'd have an 87 map :)
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    98 E5 for the bikes here (95 E10 other option).. That's why custom mapping according to area is a good idea
  4. Bamboo Baby

Oddometer:
    Ktm have 3 maps on their system.
    Normal.
    Restricted.
    91 octane map.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    What do you suppose 'normal' means? As opposed to 91? Or is 'normal' different for each (world) area the bike is sold, based on the usual high octane sold at the pumps?
  6. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I've gathered, the closed loop portion of the map is super lean to meet emissions standards and the open loop portion is rich. Closed loop is part throttle where the bike "auto tunes" itself based on O2 sensor reading to meet the desired AFR, open loop is heavy throttle, say over 80% where the bike runs directly off the map based on some inputs and a few environmental factors only and ignores the O2 sensors. So yea, if the map you mention has a desired AFR of say 14:1 instead of the 15.2:1 or whatever it is for emissions then it's going to be a lot happier.
  7. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Speaking of mapping, I wanted to watch the Rottweiler video again, and for whatever reason it alludes me. Anyone have a link to his discussion on the 790 mapping/decat/stock etc?

TIA
  8. Bamboo Baby

Oddometer:

That is how they explained to me yes. The AFR is much lower now in closed loop, and the open loop is a different map.
    The bike performs and pulls way different than the first day I got it.
  9. TachItUp

TachItUp n00b

Oddometer:
    They only uploaded it to facebook

kubcat and TrailTrauma like this.
  10. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    TachItUp likes this.
  11. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    You would think they would just retard the timing a little with the lower octane fuel.
  12. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    They could probably get it done that way but I'd suspect that map is fornregions without stricks emmisions laws also so why not let the bike have it's performance back. Reducing timing and still leaving it super lean would reduce power even more.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.