790 Adv R-XC

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by ramirin, Dec 15, 2019.

1. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    My shot for offroad capable 790 with Exc feel but good for travelling the distance.

Feel free to comment any solution I come up with and share yours as long as it has emphasis in offroad. If you have similar project, feel free to hijack anytime - general mods thread gets a bit crowded with too wide range of interests.

Single front brake stuff (thanks @AdvRonski):
    - 76013001033 HAND BRAKE CYLINDER ASSY
    - 63013012000 BRAKE HOSE FRONT 06
    - 0603100141 washer gasket 10X14X1 KTM
    - 62113020100 HOLL. SCREW M10X1X19.5

Front mask stuff
    - 79608001000 Exc 2017-2019 front mask
    - 78108003000 rubber for front mask
    - 63511078000 FRONT WIRING HARNESS
    - @kzeb post about hl connector
    - @kzeb post about weight
    - @kzeb post about connectors
    - Headlights are 12V: Park light 3W; DRL 7,7W; LowBeam 21,6W; HighBeam 32,3W

Mudflap project (thanks @Lill-Erik post )
    - 54606010000 Mudflap 625/640
    - 72210079000 washer for mudflap
    - 0017060203 screw for mudflap (most likely not needed)
    trapperj, TrailTrauma, kzeb and 2 others like this.
  2. koekeroe

koekeroe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    After 30k with 990 adv -08 I spent a decade with two different 690's and bunch of excs - wasn't appealed with any of ktm's big xx90 as they felt the size of my van compared to thumpers. 690 was capable for 700kms days but it was kind of forcing from the beginning, always looking for smaller trails and hoping they would lead somewhere too. Rumors about 800 twin got my attention but I thought I would wait for 2nd year model to avoid the usual teething troubles.

Then there was rumors about production moving to china for 2020 models. Emailed to dealer if 2019 was still available and there was one unsold R on it's way to Finland, I replied after five mins that I would take it but it was already sold a minute ago :( Fever was on and Ktm announced Rally model - I thought that's the perfect 40th birthday gift for myself :nod

Later on unofficial pricing revealed that with Finnish taxes Rally would go up to 28k€ with some mandatory power parts - yep, we pay crazy %% taxes of all the added parts too. And dealer didn't have a clue if they could even get one for me. While summer was nearly over I saw 790R available from previous owner who only clocked 1500kms and..

Screenshot_20.jpg

Did the math and thought I could build my own Rally with signifigantly lower cost and have possibility to sell out original R parts.

So the plan was:
    - Excel rims (F 1.85x21" R 2.5x18) with enduro tires
    - Wings titanium exhaust
    - Xplor Pro suspension with 270mm travel
    + left overs from 690:
    - Pivot pegs
    - Clake 2 (compined clutch and left hand rear brake, needs hydraulic conversion with 790)

For navigation I have used 8" Samsung active tab 2 which has been great. Charger only needed for multi-day trips and easy swap from bike to another with ram mount. Holder is simple piece of 8mm PE with M6 bolts and oversize washers. More of that later. There's no way back to tomtoms so this is definitely part of 790 build too.

I'm an engineer but not expert in anything related to modifying motorcycle but I do know it's made by man and shouldn't have any outer space solutions in it. I don't have time to learn making stuff from glass/carbon fibre so I need to stick with existing solutions with just small mods. Biggest issue is time while running my own furniture factory that takes roughly 12 hours a day and weekends are for family so basically I can choose between sleep and bike :*sip*
  4. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I thought I would find 'add to cart' shop online for suspension and rims with lowest price but it seems few things have changed since the days I had the 990.. Ended up buying suspension and rims from Ktm dealers (one of them also wp dealer). Wings obviously came directly from producer.

Wheels are with Haan hubs and Excel rims, didn't bother myself with fancy colors as they will be brown anyways.

Wings was the usual quality, quick delivery, easy mount, all good, nothing bad (had 4x wings before) Except the price was same as with 990 that had two mufflers :bluduh

Screenshot_21.jpg

Before ripping the bike in parts I had few nice trips in various conditions to get the idea what I wan't to do. I thought this bike would be my travel bike and only mod enough to survive some offroad as I tend to end up in such. But it felt so good even with stock tires & suspension that I even found myself from local enduro track and the idea of making it even more capable offroad monster lighted up.

At this point I added to needed mods list:
    - Make it sound like a motorcycle
    - Find a solution to catalytic converter burning down the woods
    - Higher seat (felt like sitting on ground after standing for a while)
    - Complete re-design for front mask to avoid buffeting, see the front tire while standing and make room to go over bars.

The main idea is to keep the bike always only couple hours away from doing 2-up weekend trips meaning add passenger pegs, adjust preload, change stock wheels & seat and maybe bolt db killer on.
  5. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I didn't plan for single disc front brake but I saw it as an opportunity to actually save few € and keep my both wheel sets ready to go.

Thanks @AdvRonski for pointing out that using brake cylinder from 690 duke and hose from 950SE it would be pretty much bolt on kit with reasonable price.

With front mask I had many ideas but the amount of wires and connectors together with ign-lock is just too much for anything neat. I don't wan't to redo wiring too much so wen't to search for alternative place for 'electric cabinet'.
    CaseyB and TrailTrauma like this.
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Watched, and shared :)

Thanks for breaking out on your own. This thread will become a goldmine for many.

:beer
    enduro16, HoreZ and ramirin like this.
  7. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is generally what we expect from you

Now get on it....
    superduke-1012x580.jpg
    Miller173, scfrank, kzeb and 2 others like this.
  8. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Go Man Go!

I hope your winter is long and cold so that you can make progress between work, family and sleeping... Sleeping is over-rated :)
    ramirin likes this.
  9. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    So no pressure at all :lol3

Edit: Makes me wonder if that cooler fits straight into 790 adv - the idea of having some 9-12 liter tank setup for late fall & winter rides..
    Nowwhat likes this.
  10. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, that 1290 motor is not easy on the eyes.
    Or one’s tire budget, but we all know that.
  11. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    So the plan I had was to remove abs module and have plenty of space for neat wirign that would be easy to do and no need to squeeze. But the big question was: will the bike work properly without abs?
    The answer is NO. Obviously it would light up error and popup abs fail on power on - that I could live with as you can just push left arrow to remove errors.

But as I was afraid of ride modes didn't work anymore. At first it looked very good, finally got Slip set to zero where it belongs on offroad and abs disabled. But unfortunately can't change ride modes anymore.
    Was going to just take a screenshot but later on noticed the song from radio behind and had to post the whole video :rofl

Not having Rally throttle response is unacceptable. So until there is abs dongle available need to put it back :doh
    EvilSteve and kzeb like this.
  12. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    haha .. 'I need a miracle..'.

Too bad. If anything it should have left it in rally, or at least offroad, and not street :(
  13. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    That was a drawback so had to remove something to make myself happy again.

That's why they put canisters on bikes.
    Screenshot_23.jpg

I left the bracket in place for now if I come up with something to store there..
    Screenshot_24.jpg

This hose needs a plug:
    Screenshot_25.jpg

Once got canister removed I noticed it leaves quite a nice place for few connectors and there is still some space in front of abs so maybe it will workout just fine with the abs?
  14. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Yep, and I still wan't to have all the good things on this mean machine. I'm only willing to give away what I always disable anyways..
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  15. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    HEADS UP!

Noticed a loose connector lying against cooler. That doesn't need to be there and it is possible that it will dig a hole during time. Also fan connectors are awfully close to cooler.
    Screenshot_26.jpg
    kzeb, TrailTrauma and Fabricator like this.
  16. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    So the new plan is to mount abs back and plug it in. While it will be there why not put front brakes under abs and straight line for rear (no abs light on dash at all).
    I did try to plug abs back and immediately got Rally thr activated and was able to swap between modes :thumb

Btw I always disconnect the battery ground before plugging stuff in/out just be sure I don't short anything while pushing connectors through each other and between frame and stuff.

Then there is this Bosch guy with heavy duty bracket. What is it?
    Screenshot_27.jpg
  17. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    New plan leaves smaller space for wires so need to plan more of what is going where..

This is 63511078000 FRONT WIRING HARNESS that cost around €150 so not the end of the world to get a new one if needed when reverting back someday..

1. 3 connectors that go to main harness
    2. Acc 1 and 2 + cigarette lighter for smokers
    3. Headlight and turn signals
    4. Turn signals relay, Temperature sensor and Immobilizer unit
    5. Lcd dashboard

Screenshot_28.jpg

So the ones that can be extended and go anywhere are 2. 3. and 4. (not sure if immobilizer is sensitive about wire length / quality, will try to keep it in original wiring)

1. needs to fit in front of abs
    5. needs to reach around middle of handle bar

I suppose it's all good and still possible with some minor tweaking.
    CaseyB likes this.
  18. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Add previous image to this and it's done. All set and ready to race!

Screenshot_29.jpg

well almost ready.. few things to figure out still :gyro
  19. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I believe that's the yaw angle/G sensor.
    ramirin likes this.
  20. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Interested to see what you come up with for addressing front mask buffeting. With everything I've seen and read, I'm becoming a huge fan of the bike, but still having a hard time with the front mask aesthetics and function.