790 Adv R-XC

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by ramirin, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Oh hell yes! I'm always humbled by the skill set and vision of some folks.
    TrailTrauma and ramirin like this.
  2. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    @Nowwhat If we only had 3d models available from ktm it would be soooo easy to make or order billet / printed stuff. It would be actually very interesting to try subframe printed out with reinforced nylon using continuous carbon fibre inside. Should be similar strenght as aluminium.

Here's dimension for the TFT mounting points & connector in mm. Tolerance should be ok for purpose, I just used tape measure and sketch image.

Screenshot_61.jpg
    braaap!, CaseyB and Nowwhat like this.
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Image of pussy and Arrow depussy midpipe (71719MI).

Screenshot_62.jpg Screenshot_63.jpg Screenshot_64.jpg

Just couldn't resist anymore - even though Coober did get in my head for a while with all that thermodynamics bs. There's plenty of decat bikes running perfectly fine with 10..20k on clock and no problems what so ever. Some are running with stock map and some use PCV to run adjusted fueling maps. All ok.

Rottweiler Performance did plenty of testing and created maps for running PCV with or without stock O2 sensors. Sensors disconnected I would expect a warning light / msg.

I am planning to add PCV and probably autotune to support future changes on air intake.
  4. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Received Nomad adv handlebar top clamp. Looks and feels good.

While there's still plenty of winter I thought I would make a 3D model of clamp, TFT and tablet to make manufacturing model for mounting plate.

Started with HB clamp:

Screenshot_66.jpg 790-HB-Nomad-Adv-Top-clamp.jpg
    braaap! likes this.
  5. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    One more of the hb clamp:
    Screenshot_65.jpg

Note the HB being thinner on right - never seen such before. Getting it exchanged.

Almost continued modeling TFT but we had some snow outside and temperature around -10 C --> wen't to test headlight with 250

Screenshot_67.jpg
    Screenshot_68.jpg

Powerparts led (79614901000) was actually very good considering installation only took 5 min with zero hassle.
    Light is widely spread and also up & down so even though bike is bouncing / going over rocks & fallen trees there's light.
    White front fender reflected a bit to the eye, dark matte fender would be better.

No problem on 90km/h on the road but would need separate highbeam light source to work on road use and without snow.
    Don't know if it's too bright to use as low beam (probably is, just on/off function built-in) as there was no one to ask where I was :lol3

Now waiting for another led set from china and then decide what is the one for 790.
    windblown101 likes this.
  6. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Snow melted away - again :dirtdog

So back to modeling.. didn't bother to tweak all the details but rather practical models to get mounting points right and get visual idea of what's coming.

Screenshot_69.jpg Screenshot_70.jpg

Screenshot_71.jpg

Screenshot_72.jpg

Things are starting to go out of hands, had to model handlebar as well
    Screenshot_75.jpg

Next assemble.
    kzeb and MAXVERT like this.
  7. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I suppose it could be something like this:
    Screenshot_76.jpg

That tablet mount takes quite amount of space, it looks small on hand but I would like to have dash as compact as possible.

As I only have two hands, it seems that I need to model few more parts to build the whole thing - depending on the weather :lol3

Without fitting the 8" telly on board it would be very neat setup and easy to bend just small dirt guard for tft.

All brilliant ideas are wellcome and highly appreciated :wave
  8. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Wow! Damn, you have some skills man. Thankfully we aren't all just chuckle headed riders .. some of us (you) gots major ambition :)

* Some hardwired mounts I have seen for the tablets can rotate from landscape to portrait. I was wondering if your will incorporate a swivel.
    * I was also wondering if your tablet case will be mounted on a short ram arm or something so it can not only rotate, but can be fairly well adjustable for angling the tablet to bias it towards being seated or other times standing. Even sun angle may prompt a quick tweak to the angle.

I LOVE where you're headed. As some here would say .. 'take my money!' ;) You're on your way to creating mods which many will find useful.
    kzeb and ramirin like this.
  9. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your kind words @TrailTrauma :beer

I'm using ram arm for tablet at the moment but it needs either bit of glue or zip tie to keep tablet in place all day long. Not sure about rotating - it would need windshield to be pushed away quite a bit to make room for rotation..

Two ram arms would make a robust mounting and would be tiltable but no rotation. I have an idea that looks superb inside my head - I should have all the parts in next days that will most likely ruin the thought :lol3

I find this thread helping also me out as writing what I have done forces me also to think what I have done :lol3
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Would you guys like to play some 3D? No further skills needed, use RMB to turn model around.

Just use chrome or firefox (should be fine with all others than ms explorer / edge) and hit the link to model:
    Ktm 790 Adv R-XC

Btw Onshape is pretty awesome piece of software. Full blown 3D cad in web browser and completely free if you only create public documents.
    Just create account and start modeling, they might try to reach out to you as they are real people who want to take care of their customers.
    goldneox, Perun, Snowq and 1 other person like this.
  11. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the primary display should still be the OEM dash. Some folks may add tablets, but likely not all. I'd wager phones are/will be more prevalent than full blown tabs. As its smaller, its better suited to be up front. Whatever you put up front, I'd shock mount it. A robust extension for the stock dash connector/cable will likely be necessary to allow for unimpeded positioning.
    Fantastic work @ramirin !

And is that a Clake clutch/rear brake assembly I see?:pynd
    nibby likes this.
  12. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Two things that you can't live without once tried them, LH rear brake (yes it's a clake two) and 8" nav with terrain map :D

I have LH rear brake on all my bikes, was totally sold when got electric Freeride that doesn't have any pedals at all. And after that I have kept all foot brake levers in garage and guess what? none of them has bent since :thumb
  13. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I had the Clake Pro which I pulled off the 300 before I traded it in on the 790. Do you happen to know if those lines will be long enough to move over to the 790? Also, did you order the wire to hydro adaptor directly from Clake as well?

I'd love to move my Pro over to the 790, but was concerned the work of the left hand having to operate the rear brake might wear me down on the bigger, heavier bike. Do you notice a great difference in that workload between a smaller bike and your bigger adv bikes? Any considerations you've noted @ramirin?
    ramirin likes this.
  14. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This....
    Keep it simple, Exc screen for racing/harder stuff, just use a ram mount for gps or quad lock for phone if/when needed.

Having the tablet sort of defeats the whole purpose doesn't it??

Great work @ramirin - looking forward to seeing the end result.
  15. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I do have the tablet also with exc - don't know where to go without terrain map? And it needs to be big to be able to read while hopping logs..

I don't see 790 spending much time on enduro track so nav would be most of the time mounted.

But it would be nice if it would be more like a platform since you never know what's the next interesting thing - maybe a roadmap? And it's only piece of plastic with 4 bolts so there could be multiple solutions for different purpose..
    braaap!, nibby and TrailTrauma like this.
  16. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HUD (Heads Up Display) that shows upcoming logs, tarpits, etc... and makes recommendations re appropriate speed and throttle "response"? :jack
    ramirin likes this.
  17. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair enough but disagree about it needing to be big to navigate...good option to have if needed but I've managed with a gpsmap type of device for a long time and this together with a phone is more than good enough... the tablet for me anyway would just get in the way.

Great option to have though if needed.

Anyway it's not for me so I'll shut up :-):1drink
  18. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    The first time I mounted a laptop in my truck was an eye opener when I drove a 1000' route I had done countless times. With a high level of detail, and without scrolling I was able to essentially have x-ray vision. I was well inland of a huge lake but was, for the first time on that route, away of what lie 'over there' ... beyond the forest and on the lakeshore, or where that mysterious road led. That sort of experience is what I want out of a tablet mounted on the 790. I don't want to simply follow some line. The experience is the exploration some days, and I'd love to be able to not follow that line, BUT become that line .. chart a new line for future adventures. But to be able to effectively, and easily explore means that I can see with that x-ray vision, 'without' stopping to zoom in or out on my phone. Landscape view would be well suited to this, allowing me to see where side trails spin off to while faster rides would be good in portrait where I can see plenty of what is coming up.

I guess if you have a budding passion in not only exploration, but electronics and mapping, the tablets begin to look like less of an obstacle. And software like Gaia which I use regularly with a stylus enabled tablet would be a remarkable combo for laying out new trails to explore while lying in the hammock in the evening. I guess I'll never be caught hanging with those minimalist, neurotic types...:D Nope, I'm the guy looking for a white tarp which can double as a big screen for movie nights on the trail lol
    ramirin and nibby like this.
  19. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ramirin

Mad Skillz bloke! Hope that your winter is long and dark so you get more time to model and fabricate away... Subscribed :)
    ramirin likes this.
  20. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, keep it coming!
    ramirin likes this.