790 Adv R-XC

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by ramirin, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    Onshape is very cool software. Thanks for the tip!
    ramirin likes this.
  2. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I had clake two on 690 and have on 500, pro on 250. I chose like this because I like to drag rear brake without clutch through fast corners and curves on loose gravel to keep things stable (can't drag with pro). So the clake two from sold 690 is going to 790, it looks like I can use the same brake line and ordered new clutch line together with hydraulic cylinder directly from Clake. Nice company and fast response. Remember also clutch switch that excs don't need, 690 stalled while rolling clutch pulled without the switch - I'm expecting similar behavior on 790.

EDIT: I had also new brake line for 790 from Clake but as I'm not using the abs module I will run it straight from lever to cylinder using old 690 hose.
    nibby and TrailTrauma like this.
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    This is how I have painted the sky too + system from robot lawn mowers so if you (or bike) run out of 'battery' it will automatically ride to charging point :0-0
  4. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Totally agree with you on this. After mounting tablet I've found so many places even near home to ride that I never knew about before. Being able to see bigger view let's you navigate on the fly and even when doing 90kmh in pavement you can easily plan something more interesting by checking if that next trail leaving the road will go into right direction and usually return to same road later. It also let's me do more navigation without route since I can scale so that next 20-30km is on the screen and I just keep the map there. Obviously longer distance need gpx trace on top.

It is also good going straight into woods where is no roads or trails, easy and quick zooming & panning on thin gloves. Seeing rivers and other water flows on map + all traces you have already done gives a lot better understanding of the area. And when time for pavement transition just let google maps take care of you.
    Only place where I find tablet disturbing is pure enduro / motocross tracks where you know the corners and jumps and move way more on bike than running the unfamiliar trails the first time. If I ever leave it home and go riding, after a while I wish I had it with me.

I have also tried a phone, Samsung S6, but it was too small and required constant stopping to follow without planned route. Having same software + map + trace on your phone in the pocket of course, makes you less vulnerable to possible breakdowns or power problems when far from home. I had this experience back in the day with tomtom rider shutting down in the middle of nowhere and the day was ruined since I couldn't follow the planned route anymore but had to use google which took me to main roads.
    nibby and TrailTrauma like this.
  5. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Picked up new handlebar and some other stuff from dealer. Should be ok to begin gathering things back together.

Wiring wrapped up, doesn't look so bad anymore - using 'connect-grease' for all connectors.
    Screenshot_80.jpg Screenshot_81.jpg

Until someone come up with abs dongle I'm putting the unit there but no hoses connected. Is there anyone who knows how those things operate internal? Should I fill up with brake fluid before plugging? Should I still disable ABS on dash or just let it do it's thing while plugged? Such an expensive unit, would really like to leave it being safe at home =)

Still struggling to fit tablet and dash but getting there. That ram charger is too big so I will use usb charger plug with magnetic connector to charge. Already ordered few cheapies from ebay.

I would like to 3d model everything but those masks are annoying to model with mcad - totally doable but taking measures is PITA. 3d scanning probably cost more than parts so having those models depends on weather :lol3

Next thing to do is put bike together and ready for dyno - I wan't to do this during winter to avoid dealers busy time when sun raises higher and all those street bikers wake up. I would like to see few options for airbox before dyno though, would be nice to get everything done in single run. I suppose Rottweiler is on the edge of pushing something out and if I remember correctly there are few other on this subject too. Do you have any info on this @Nowwhat ?

Waiting for headlight to arrive and I'm going to summer 2020 with exc mask for sure. They are only ~15€ / piece (only plastic, no light) so one with windscreen and one without. The idea I had in my head was to add 690 touring mask ( 76508065000 ) together with exc mask to cover tablet and take some wind pressure out of chest. I had this on 690 and had no buffeting. Whole front would be around 200€ so not a biggie if get scratched or broke by flying rocks or get hit by tree. If tablet mounts with two rams and tft has small shield, windscreen could be easily removed for serious offroad or competition use.

Should look something like this on touring setup:
    Screenshot_79.jpg
  6. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    ramirin likes this.
  7. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Agree but I kind of admire not caring about looks and building for the purpose only - which they are apparently doing
  8. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    for sure. As a former owner of a fuglystrada and current owner of a 790, I’m fully onboard.
    ramirin likes this.
  9. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Airbox is coming and is a work of art...

I dont have details on timing...will see what I can wrangle out of them
    kzeb, WallyWhirled and ramirin like this.
  10. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Greetings from china

Screenshot_87.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the looks :toney

Seems like a quality product, no other complains than plugging into exc to see if it makes any light - and nothing..
    Came without any instructions whatsoever, took wires out of connector, tested what's what, put back in correct order and see the light :choppa
    Again waiting for snow to be able to go out and try if light output is any good on exc.. damn this winter can be shitty - I'm sure it will come at some point and last until midsummer then turn into fall :devildog
  11. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I'm now considering also steering damper - because everyone else has such beautiful device that I have never tried. And for that I would need to extend the wires for tft.

Any idea what brand/type this connector is?
    Screenshot_89.jpg Screenshot_88.jpg

Not sure if I would like to add anymore meatballs into spaghetti but maybe buy those female pins and just extend those few (21) wires. :hmmmmm
  12. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Deano860

Deano860 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is this it on page 6:

CO 000700000CO SPARE CONNECTOR CO 34-PINS X CONTROL UNIT (LC8) / STEUERGERÄT (LC8)
  14. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    You need what, 22 pins? Just source anything to meet that criteria and cut the harness. Ok, buy 2 full connectors and you know what to do from there I'm sure. Pigtail..
  15. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    The problem is that I could cut about 150mm wires together with original connector and that would make akward position for 'user connector'. So I was thinking either pair of stock connectors or just new pins and extend the wire.

Oh they have a price for oem connector 000700000CO, more than 100 euros! :imaposer

--> next https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=535 :hmmmmm

--> next https://www.ebay.com/itm/34P-4-1437...ector-Terminals-34P-3-Slot-Plug-/254352924822 :nod

Gotta love google & internet :beer
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I figured buy 2 full connectors so you could keep it clean in the sense that if you sold the bike you'd simply have to pull your pigtail out of the equation, and remount the TFT in the stock position. Versus having to cut, solder a hundred connections, and have to undo that mess upon resale.
  17. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Have you felt the need for a steering damper upgrade?
  18. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    That was the idea but it appears that this connector is not available as 'male to wire'. So it would be difficult to tape/insulate neat connector pair. Instead I just ordered only new contacts and will pull out wires, solder extensions and put back to original housing. Should be bullet proof solution without extra connectors hanging around and doesn't cause any harm if/when reverting back some day.

Btw I have seen some fb marketing of wire-wire connection that only needs some heat applied and it had metal ring inside making the connection and heat shrink to seal it in one go. Anyone know if these are any good? https://www.amazon.com/Sopoby-Connectors-Electrical-Waterproof-Automotive/dp/B01DPS8DPM/ref=sr_1_3
    Screenshot_90.jpg
    scfrank likes this.
  19. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    That is the problem - how would you feel the need for something you have never experienced?

I guess damper might have saved me last summer when I raced in cross country competition and last lap loose rock section I hit my rear wheel so that it bounced up and then hit front that forced front wheel turn and continued rolling over bars. Luckily didn't get hurt and limped to finish line w/o clutch as the hose broke against rock while bike was upside down. Things happen pretty fast out there :p3rry
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  20. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Personally, I'd just do it all old school. I still remember being graded on my soldering in grade 11 electronics class circa 1983. I thought it was retarded at the time, but I still love the smell of solder and flux wafting through the air. It becomes one of those relaxing, zen things for me...:bmwrider