790 Adv R-XC

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by ramirin, Dec 15, 2019.

1. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Probably the best and I like soldering too. Always curious about new stuff though.
  2. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Well on the old 690 enduro R ’11 it was needed, bike was super nervous out of the box.
    701 all of that was sorted and I never had the need for a damper.

I’m asking since a lot of people farkle rather then function or have the need (me included ofc!1)
    With that said the gold nugget sure is purty!
  3. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    These do work well. They are the factory-approved method of wiring harness repairs for Nissan/Infiniti automobiles.
    ramirin likes this.
  4. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I had 690s for 10 years (2009 and 2012 model) - no dampers. This 790 is my 40th year pet and as I was prepared even for Rally I have decided to give this R a bit more than I usually would.
    Noyah likes this.
  5. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was thinking it could be even better than soldering for automotive use since that 'hard part' is pretty well supported from cracking that is common to soldered connection without proper shrink to keep it from bending.
  6. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    Another criteria from the manufacturer's perspective is the time saved by having an all-in-one option, as wiring repairs are a straight-time operation. Less time spent means lower warranty costs for them.
  7. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Ah a fellow 79’r
    a.c.e. and ramirin like this.
  8. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    Same here :D
    Would be interesting to know all those badass '79ers here,
    getting this badass 790R for their 40.
    :beer
    Noyah and ramirin like this.
  9. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I think we need our own '79eR graphics :0-0
    Noyah and a.c.e. like this.
  10. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to know if Sopoby has patent on this or is this universal product that can be found from multiple brands?

Amazon & ebay has the usual problem, product cost 20€ + delivery 25€. Or 5€ from china free shipping with 1-3 month delivery time.

Not sure if I'm going to use with the dash but these would be handy even for trail side fixes just using heat from lighter.
  11. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Hoping mine arrives in March.
    ramirin, Noyah and Nowwhat like this.
  12. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    They seem to be a universal product. I saw a 250-piece set on ebay for $12 USD.
  13. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a box of them at home, they are nice. Not sure I would use them to redo a main loom however.
    ramirin and TrailTrauma like this.
  14. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I graduated High School in '79. Does that count? Ha.
    1coolbanana, Noyah, braaap! and 3 others like this.
  15. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    You know what they say about age.. it's only numbers. Have you guys seen the documentaries '50 years of kicks' and 'checkpoints'

I've been riding since 7 y old and surely hope to be able to ride next 40 years.
    :beer

ADV67, Noyah, a.c.e. and 2 others like this.
  16. Kinkysmurf

Kinkysmurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice thread Ramirin.
    Love listening to the old guys in video. I spotted a TY 250 A or B, I had both.
    Kinky's a 69' model. My grandfather gave me a bike at 5years old, it was of the garbage tip and he fixed it up.
    I was a Zero and sweep at Aussie 4 day in 2006, and spent a afternoon following Sos Goddard on CRF450 he was 74 and in competition.
    Amazing guy. Sadly he passed in 2016.
    CaseyB and ramirin like this.
  17. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Got the PCV today, going to install later but wanted to see how it connects as I don't have previous experience on this stuff.

No instructions for the adventure available yet but the connectors are the same as Duke so only thing to sort out is where to mount the unit.

Got the O2 plugs on same order, awaiting for reports what happens with cruise control if engine light is on due to missing O2 sensors?
    Screenshot_100.jpg

This bumble bee had hell of a ride..
    Screenshot_101.jpg

Only two bolts to loose battery holder & ecu assembly. Relays attached to the bottom of it.
    Screenshot_102.jpg

Fuel injectors. Pcv is connected between original connectors in series with existing control.
    Screenshot_103.jpg
    Noticed that this place is keen to collect bees and dust so assembling all connectors with greese and maybe add some tape for robust result.

Couple of PCV wires should connect on these, connector is removed by pushing the white part towards middle of bike and is located behind throttle body on image.
    Screenshot_104.jpg

More of pcv later as for some reason I lost track at this point.. another post for that
    kzeb and TrailTrauma like this.
  18. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    How big is the pcv unit?
    After changing battery I have some room at the battery compartment, even laying on top of the battery under the baracker...hm.
  19. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Don't know what happened between figuring out pcv wiring but I ended up removing airbox. Or I thought I would only remove airbox but it's made so that it seemed easier to remove the whole subframe.

Just recently opened the airbox and checked the filter for the very first time and noticed it's not sealing properly. The filter itself was pretty much clean as new but seal should definitely be greased on install.
    I think filter was changed on 1k maintence by ktm dealer.

Should have known by now that first year ktm street models always have leaking airbox and misting dash :hmmmmm

It was not too bad though, similar to what I experienced with 2009 690 but never with exc. I wish someone made airbox for 790 that uses exc foam, they are cheap and widely available pre-oiled.

Wiped also some dust and bits of sand from intake, hopefully engine didn't eat too much of it. Only 3k on clock I'm expecting another 97k without major repairs.
    I think it should be ok but the stock airbox is not going back.

Screenshot_98.jpg

Those hungry eyes are now hunting for the options .. Rottweiler .. Powercell .. Tripleclamp

It's not so easy task as airbox is also part of rear fender. Not possible to just remove and mount some dual flange k&n filter.

Rottweiler already showed the design and it looks good. They also seem to think same issues as I since they are also developing new fuel connection. I hated the plastic one from the first touch.
    I wish to see what Tripleclamp comes up with before have to decide since they are also in europe.
  20. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I have also some space there and already tested that it could live there. But should it be just under seat? Do you need to access the unit other than in the beginning on dyno etc..