790 Adv R-XC

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by ramirin, Dec 15, 2019.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I doubt anyone here will have such an intimate knowledge of their 790 as you bro. Dang.
  2. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Yep, others are out riding their 790s and I'm diving in mine :lol3
    DRglidarn and TrailTrauma like this.
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    This view has something that makes my heart miss a beat..

Screenshot_105.jpg
    kzeb, Nowwhat, Deano860 and 1 other person like this.
  4. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Ok, dumb Q: Why isn't your shock in the same plane as your wheel? Is it the angle of the photo or is something askew?
  5. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    It's the perspective somehow, had to raise phone above head to fit it in.. looks better in real than in image

Edit. Wheel might be in angle as it's just hanging there..

Or perspective..

Screenshot_106.jpg
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rottweiler is going to make aluminum subframes so don't bother even putting yours back on....hahahahaha
    ramirin likes this.
  7. Deano860

Deano860 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Their PCV MAPs are good too... :)
    ramirin and Nowwhat like this.
  8. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Your work here is done :lol3
    Great to hear, that would be a convenient bundle with airbox also concerning shipping overseas.

No doubt. It's just that gasoline is quite different compared eu vs us .. or at least this is what I've heard. That's why I decided to tune at local dyno shop. :dunno
    Deano860 likes this.
  9. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    @Nowwhat Where is your pcv sitting on bike?
  10. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Here 20200114_044436.jpg
    ramirin likes this.
  11. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    @Noyah @a.c.e.

So what's it going to be? We already have orange frame =)
    Screenshot_109.jpg
    Screenshot_108.jpg
    Screenshot_107.jpg

Only half joke - it could be a trigger for me to renew graphics if they were designed as a tribute to 1979 model but looking nice and modern (like we '79ers).

If there's any 'artist' with spare time, software and templates give it a shot.. I'm too much of an engineer to do art work - could photoshop a sticker with '79eR at max :type
    Bowtech and Noyah like this.
  12. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Great idea doing a tribute sticker kit for us Youngblood’s
  13. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    ktm-dakar-motorcycle-vehicle-wallpaper-preview.jpg
    cwk, Noyah and kzeb like this.
  14. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Got all bits to extend tft wire now
    Screenshot_127.jpg

I had piece of 18x0,75 Ă–lflex and another piece from 7x0,75 to get all wires marked different (the numbers are slightly different between 18x and 7x). Need 22 wires in total, also original wire is 0,75mm2.

Knicks knacks, just when I learned how to do it - it was finished. Seems to sit pretty tight, expecting to be as good as original.
    Screenshot_124.jpg

Also ordered some of those Sopoby connectors and put one loop as test using a heat gun. Surely would be easier for only two handed person to use these instead of solder + shrink tube.
    It seems to act the same as when soldering and reaching the needed temp and see tin spread all over. To be honest the joint does look very good.
    Screenshot_126.jpg

Obviously I wanted to see where / how it brakes and it seems to act the same as soldered. Wire did not detach from joint but extended a bit and was cut next to joint. Didn't measure the resistance but should be ok as wires are in direct contact to each other and just 'glued' together with tin inside the tube.
    Screenshot_125.jpg

Next I need to make a chart of wire colors of tft connector. Tried to look for it in the rep.manual but electric scheme is so blurry that colors are difficult to read and it's easier to write down than crawl through it all to find each wire.

Also I need to order male pins for headlight connector, totally forgot and just ordered housing. I will convert hl connector to exc type so I can switch masks between 790 and excs and extend wire to keep everything neat.
    kzeb, windblown101 and TrailTrauma like this.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this extension. I'd still love to relocate my TFT to the bars, so I can free up the entire area for the tablet.
    ramirin likes this.
  16. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I think you can move it without extending the wire if you keep other stuff behind headlight. That was also my goal at first but then things somehow got out of hands..
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  17. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    To remove wires/pins from tft connector it needs to be unlocked first - after all the pins back in position it can be locked from the other side by pushing those two white buttons in.
    Screenshot_130.jpg Screenshot_131.jpg

Some positions are plugged and that leaves 22 pins in use. Positions are numbered 1-34.
    Screenshot_129.jpg

As slightly color blind (light red-green blindness) I don't really like color coded wires so I tend to be extra cautious with them. I removed wires one line at time and mark those as group and made a chart with plan what color goes to what number in extension. There was at least two wires with exactly same color, probably coming from same spot but I made a mark to one to keep them exactly oem order.
    Screenshot_132.jpg

'Soldering' was super easy with these connectors and heatgun. I took about 10mm insulation open for wires and twist them together so that it left about 5mm for solder. The only thing slightly bothering was that tin sometimes spread along wire no matter what I did, it stopped to red spot (that's probably why they are there) and should still be perfect.
    Screenshot_133.jpg Screenshot_134.jpg

For no reason at all, I put shrink tubes on top of each connect
    Screenshot_135.jpg

Now I have ~50cm longer cable for TFT and need to get some shield tube on top to begin putting things back together.
  18. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    ramirin you sure are meticulous when you do your stuff that's great to see :thumb
    I will start with my bike tomorrow finally, we'll see what will happend probably start with making bracket for a Stebel horn wiring & relay and stuff... adding weight I know.. :fpalm
    As of now just planning & sipping a nice Talisker...:jkam

Cheers !
    ramirin likes this.
  19. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn.... That's a lot of connnections to get right. If I tried that my bike would probably never run again. Nice work!
    ramirin likes this.
  20. Kinkysmurf

Kinkysmurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be more comfortable splitting the cases than doing that. Your photos should be censored Ramirin too scary.

I got the polarity wrong installing the rugged amps mount. Only 2 wires. :lol3
    CaseyB, braaap!, kzeb and 1 other person like this.