790 Adventure coming Spring, 2019

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Taurkon, May 7, 2018.

1. JoeyZ

JoeyZ "I'de Like To Take That Ride Again" Might as Well

Oddometer:
    I had a 300xc 500exc and a 690R All great off road bikes. I loved the 500 and 690. The 690 was awsome and I regret selling it. I will probably replace it. Maybe the single most versatile bike ever. It suffered on the highway for comfort but nothing is perfect. Supermoto, street, woods, dirt it was just great. Wheelies, super comfortable bike to ride on 1 wheel.
  2. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM's claimed dry weight for my 990 SMT was 425 lb. So I don't think it unrealistic for KTM's claimed dry weight for the 790 to be less than that. (I state it that way to be comparing apples to apples. Others can argue their hearts out about how realistic KTM's claimed dry weight's are.)

I know mine is not the usual perspective here, but for me, my SMT is the bike the 790 has to beat. The SMT is my "big road bike." (Yeah, yeah, I've had "bigger." Been there, done with it.)

At 5'7, 155 lb, the main aspect of the SMT that caused me to buy it instead of all the other new liter ADV bikes at the time was its overall compactness. At my stature, "showroom riding" it felt more "dirt bike like" than any of the other ADV bikes (yes, including the 990 ADV).

Now, don't get me wrong; I have no intention of doing anything I'd call "off road" on anything heavier than my 690 (the seat height and weight of which already severely limit the amount of actual trail riding I care to attempt with it). But that doesn't change the fact that I still like for all my bikes to be as "dirt bike-ish" as they can be in terms of surface-versatility, riding posture, and nimble handling, whether they actually ever see anything more challenging than a typical State Park campground or not.

I don't think it unrealistic to expect the 790 to be as compact as the SMT, and it appears to be in the images seen so far. The seat height appears comparable, but looks can be deceiving. So I'll see.

I've got about 25,000 trouble-free miles on the SMT. I dearly love this bike. I love its practical level of modernity, nimble handling, and no-nonsense, "just motorcycle" minimalism. I even love its elegant little semi-soft saddlebags and the clean, unobtrusive tidy little fittings by which they securely attach. For my idea of a perfect "large" bike, it just fits me like a glove, both physically and mentally.

The last year of the SMT was 2013. There has not been a single bike since then that I would exchange it for. The 790 may be that bike. But it will have to be one very fine thing. I'm hopeful, though, 'cause if anyone can pull that off, it should be KTM.

JET
    bikemoto, kaivalagi and srelegante like this.
  3. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's true. I own a 950 SE and it does everything i want it to, but it's getting long in the tooth. I would love to be able to buy a 790 but we are a single income family of four.

I'll stick with the 950 until I can afford a used replacement.
    anoldsman likes this.
  4. Delnari

Delnari Tom

Oddometer:
    My dealer confirmed they will be getting only 5 units allocated. Had their head mechanic complete the required training to be allowed to sell them.
  5. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    What he said!! I'm lurking and following this very closely! I love the 1190R but picking that bitch up off road really sucks! I'm hoping kitted out 450lbs... we'll see ...tick, tick, tick....
    KHVol likes this.
  6. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to caveat that I'm coming from a GS Adv to an 1190R - wow off-road you can move it but you have to really ride it. I single-tracked it with some guys on 500s and they were surprised I was there - but I had to really commit...then it became nimble, but it's a lot of bike...Hence, I'm really interested in the 790...
    The last Birchy comment I saw was that the bike was really linear until he changed his riding style, then he said it was quite different and fun...whatever that meant...sponsorship talk if you ask me.... he really commented on the low CoE making the bike quite different and fun.
  7. Philthy1

Philthy1 Philthy

Oddometer:
    rick danger likes this.
  8. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did anyone ever think otherwise? That one show bike had been going around for over a year, pictures of real pre production bikes have been out there for months so we knew what to expect.
  9. HeadinSouth

HeadinSouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cable clutch and no brembos....happy Im keeping my 1090 Adv R
    KHVol likes this.
  10. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Thinking I'll act my age, and at least wait till 2020 to see what sorts out.

Whats my age again? Whats my age again?

Maybe I'm the bearded dude @ 2:12 wondering why all the 23 y'o's are sprinting towards the edge of a cliff? Plunging towards oblivion like original drummer Travis Barker perhaps? Or slapping down hundreds on a 790?

In the end, it might be all the same - fiery crash and burn. :fpalm
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  11. HeadinSouth

HeadinSouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also, how tight is the seat to peg length with 9.5” of travel and a 34.5” seat height? Is this an Adv bike for ants???
    Wookee and Kyle K like this.
  12. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:
    Subscribed for further details and pot stirring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
  14. Delnari

Delnari Tom

Oddometer:
    The latest video just about confirms it will be 396 lbs dry ~ 448 wet.

15. ls6777

ls6777 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be a pretty sweet zone if it's accurate.
  16. CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives the sound of inevitability

Oddometer:
    Yep, and the first 25lb or so will be easy to shave.
  17. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    How heavy will the riders be that buy the bike? Save 10-15kg but add another 30-40kg of body weight.
  18. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    It's all relative. Power to weight plus mass on top
  19. HeadinSouth

HeadinSouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    EEC3100A-9412-4619-9812-52B393BB9D38.jpeg
    Yes Chris is a tall guy, but that sure doesn’t look comfy for trips.
    KHVol and TrailTrauma like this.
  20. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow that does look cramped for the legs. On the fence about this bike. Have a nice 1290 SAR that I have been pretty happy with. Only dislike is the weight, but I can ride that bike all day and not be that tired. Oh well, will wait for the publicity onslaught and maybe if they offer a 6" tall seat:)