790 adventure cruise control activation hack?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Nysane, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Nysane

Nysane n00b

Oddometer:
    Priced out a new 790 at the KTM dealer today. They want $229 just to "activate" the built-in cruise control function (in addition to the cost of the combination switch [$85] and an hour of labor [$95]). Does anyone know a hack or way to do this yourself without having to pay for it?
  2. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Nysane

Nysane n00b

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's what I feared. Kudos to KTM for running a smart and profitable business.
  4. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it isn't. It's the price to pay for the CC software, hardware, design, development, testing of the hardware/software components together with the maintenance for the system. The fact that these components come with the bike disabled is irrelevant, they've effectively not been paid for when the bike was originally purchased.
  5. PomInOz_

PomInOz_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you can, look around at other dealers. I got cruise control included in the price and a few other bits and pieces.
  6. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what intent you implied from my comment. I'm a software engineer, I know the price of software, and what it covers.

Is there something in what I wrote that is factually incorrect? The way the software is packaged is that everything is included, but to enable some features (CC, Rally mode, TPMS) you have to buy a software token. I didn't imply that I wanted this software for free, or that a token is something that should be cheap or free. I think you are reading more in my comment that what is actually written.
  7. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    ART
    you might not want it for free...but i do :clap:rofl
  8. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    With these being so locked down in the first place, the only "hack" to be had it would be via a dealer. As far as I can tell dealers pay very little or nothing at all for the unlock codes, and only really incur a cost on the switch gear.

Best bet is buy lunch for your local KTM dealer and hope they let you slide in the back door after 5-6 o'clock :lol3
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dealers do get invoiced from KTM for the unlock codes and every code is unique to the bike it is installed on. It cannot be used on another bike. There is also time, which as a stand alone process is probably in the neighborhood of 30 minutes from the time they wheel the bike into the bay to the time they hand you your keys back.

Dealers are free to absorb the costs if they choose to as part of making a deal or to keep a long time profitable customer happy, but free its certainly not.
  10. Matt P

Matt P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dealer here in Fresno quoted me today a half hour of labor cost so $60.00 to make it active.
    I installed the switch myself. It’s those heated grips which were no joke to install. That a very tight fit for all the plugs into the housing. I scratched my fender top with the light housing while laying it carelessly on-top of it. Lay a towel or similar. Watch the video I believe Art links to.
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I tested the waters when I picked up my switch last week. I wanted the service writer to quote me a timeline .. 1-1.5 hrs he said. I just looked at him and laughed, remarked what a shit show it was and walked out. Fucktards. This was AFTER he knew I would be installing the switch myself.
  12. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    I was told $600 for the chip and $250 for the switch
  13. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Thats a crying shame man. I'm in Canada, and when I picked up my switch last week they charged me $91 + 13% tax. $103 out the door. I think I got ~25% off but still you're way off even after the conversion. Uggh.
  14. Matt P

Matt P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I was wrong on price.
    The shop called me and asked if I knew there was going to be a $229.00 extra fee to get the reflash from KTM?
    Obviously I’m doing it.
    They discovered this when they were actually doing the work.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    When I purchased my bike, my dealer said sometimes KTM has package deals on activations and to wait, so I've been waiting. I should start pestering him monthly I guess. It would be night to finally try the QS but really I'm after the CC for next season.

Maybe a QS just for 3rd, since that is the one gear that seems to elude me still sometimes. :scratch:D
  16. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    My qs sometimes sticks between 2 & 3 and I end up using the clutch. Not all the time, but enough times where it’s the same spot
    Venturer and TrailTrauma like this.
  17. RWJorg

RWJorg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My switch finally shipped out today after ordering it a month or so ago. Will drop the bike off at the dealer and pay the labor costs for the switch install - I'm not that keen on doing all that myself.
  18. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s a pita inside that beak assembly.
    Matt P likes this.
  19. RWJorg

RWJorg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah exactly. not my cup of tea. ha
  20. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just finished installing the switch. Yes a real massive pain.....and I had already had the headlight apart before so knew how to do that part. The biggest pain is getting the wiring right so it fits. Very tight fit. I had the dealer activate the feature at the 600 mile service. There is a great youtube video on how to install and activate it assuming the dealer has already installed the feature.