790 Adventure Decat/Tune Results

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by turbofan790, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Verex cat delete pipe, stock muffler, can’t detect a change in performance or how the bike runs, nice note, doesn’t drone on the highway, a little pop on changing up with quick shifter -awesome! Easy install, the cat delete pipe is a work of art, mated up perfectly.
    1coolbanana, braaap! and Toddv like this.
  2. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Giggle factor?
  3. braaap!

Oddometer:
    A short vid which sorta captures the sound of the Akra sans Cat... Using my old drift hobnailed to the rear seat subframe. You'll get the idea :)
    Bluetonguejak and kzeb like this.
  4. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Priceless!
    braaap! likes this.
  5. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bit of a fuel economy update.

Here's a bunch of fill ups with the stock system:

Screenshot_20200102-140139.jpg

Most of the 50+ were no freeway, but lots of highway. Some aggressive riding but mostly putting around.

Now we get into decat fill ups. The 46.1 mpg fill up at 3618 miles was decat but NO TUNE. Ignore the next (32.8) mpg fill up, that included all the dyno testing.

41.9 mpg had a little bit of tune, but not the whole tank - that was when we realized the O2 sensors were still plugged in, so the ECU ignored the tune.

The last 3 fill ups are all with the tune. The very last fill up at 4372 miles was all street riding (ok I did like a mile off road) and included about 2 hours on the freeway at 85-90 mph, then twisty roads with fairly aggressive riding most of the rest of the time.
    Screenshot_20200102-140154.jpg

Based on these results, I'm thinking it's probably 5-7 mpg lower with equal riding.

I'm going to reach out to Rottweiler to ask about some tune tweaks. I believe the canned tune makes the bike run richer in the RPM range even at part throttle, whereas the OEM tune never goes richer than 14:1 before 6000 rpm regardless of throttle position. If Rottweiler could keep it leaner at lower throttle openings and then give more fuel at WOT we might be able to reach a middle ground with better performance with less fuel economy penalty.
  6. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was getting 37mpg last weekend

47t rear and lots of sand
  7. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    A (winter) gearing thread per usage should be in order.

'I am a single track God now, and all I did was loose 1 of ma toofs'

or

'47t .. pismo bitches'

Something to get the juices flowing, and lay out an understanding of what does what (and for whom?) :ear
  8. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    So, just to be clear, there is no way to replace the stock O2 sensors with wide band O2 sensors, add appropriate hardware from Dynojet or whomever, and let it autotune as you ride, like you can with some of the less sophisticated ECMs on older KTMs, right?
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I think PCV has an autotune module, or is that different from what you're suggesting?
  10. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I am just getting old. On the road I get high 50s and never get below 50 even off road. Maybe in sand and mud I would. Heck, I bought the Rott plug for the charcoal canister removal and was going to remove the canister when I did the clutch cable switch and had the tank off. But the canister looked like I might need to pull the skid plate to remove it so I just bagged it for now. I have the Akra can to save maybe 2-3 pounds and it looks cool:) But I just can't get excited about removing the cat or tuning the bike. It runs great as is for me.
  11. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    If they did, why isn’t anyone running it with wideband O2 sensors connected?
  12. turbofan790

Oddometer:
    Absolutely possible for additional cost. Will explore that option.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  13. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Cool! Let us know what you figure out.
  14. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    The auto-tune is a separate box from a standard power commander, and while you could use wideband it works with your stockers. Shouldn't really be needed outside of a couple edge cases i.e. you live in the Continental Divides and a 6000' variation is common on a ride. Even then when you set up the auto-tune you tell it what correction factor it uses, so most likely its not going to have time to make a full adjustment if you are doing something like just riding up Pikes Peak and back down.

The power commander lives between the injectors and engine management ECU, no reason why they wouldn't work on an LC8c the auto-tuner tells the power commander how to manipulate the injectors basically.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  15. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    As I understand it, the stock O2 sensors are narrow band and therefore won’t work. Based on what Rottweiler was showing for A/F ratios, I don’t see why people are getting the large mpg drop. I’m just going to drop Rottweiler a message and ask the source. Regardless of which way I go, I’m getting it from them.
  16. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are seeing a big MPG drop because by unplugging the O2 sensors you are forcing the bike to run in open loop or directly off the map Wich is basically removing the factory auto tune ability. I'm sure to get the best performance and responsiveness Rottweiler's tune is a lot richer at part throttle than the factory map especially at part throttle where the bike most often operates.
  17. turbofan790

Oddometer:
    ^ exactly this. The OEM tune is extremely lean in all circumstances EXCEPT wot above 6k rpm, where it's too rich! The open loop tune is much richer and offers excellent performance and rideability at the cost of some fuel econ.

Autotune requires installation of an additional O2 sensor on this bike.
  18. braaap!

Oddometer:
    So who will be the first dude to add a bung into the pipe for a wide band AFR meter?.. In the interest of science...
    :norton
  19. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you'll buy it, I'll install it on mine :D
    braaap! likes this.
  20. turbofan790

Oddometer:
    My bike already has the bung installed, they did it at Rottweiler when they did the testing. Just need to buy/install the Autotune bits.
    TrailTrauma and SoilSampleDave like this.