790 Adventure Decat/Tune Results

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by turbofan790, Nov 5, 2019.

1. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Ok, I thought you meant only pcv O2 connected and was wondering how that can make bosch happy.
    I see, so get a 18mm drill and mount one? two? wideband sensor along with the stock ones, add autotune and let the fight begin :turkish

It's one damn expensive cruise control
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  2. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol basically.

Need to pull the header and weld a bung in downstream. Look back a page and you'll see where the bung has been added in my header. Rottweiler put a bung in mine for Dyno tuning and just left it even though I don't have autotune yet.
  3. Mikkoyli

Mikkoyli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But with Autotune you have to choose that Rottweiler open map if you want to avoid engine light. It is true that open loop area is working better as it is tuned by Autotune. Closed loop part will still be controlled by original O2 sensors. And those are still lean which make the bike feel lacking power lower RPM area. Decatting should make it worse even more lean or it may be that closed loop control can adjust enough to avoid that or real danger. Better sound makes the bike feel better. Upper RPM there should be more power and bike more crisp.
    With race map you would get engine light.
    Did I now understand correct?
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the PCV...Auto Tune...The PC widebands...My Check Engine light is ON...I don't have cruise...but it would not work if I did....
    turbofan790, ramirin and Riddler990 like this.
  5. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Think it would be benefitial to have JUST a Power Commander V thread? Just so we can separate the 'non altered' (decat, o2 sensors, mufflers) from the stock? It gets kinda confusing...and I'm but a simple man. Let me start the thread and lets see...
    kubcat likes this.
  6. turbofan790

Oddometer:
    Could be helpful, though too many threads can be confusing. Like you said, try it out and see how it goes - this was meant to mostly be information for those considering a decat and/or tune, and what sort of results to expect.
  7. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Ok, this is what I was assuming. You don't have ecu fighting with autotune but just happy bike running with pcv and autotune. Did you use oem O2 holes and autotune with two sensors?

We are back to where we started, you need to choose either engine with light telling you it's happy - or only tune open loop to be able to ride with cruise control.

I guess it's not healthy to have two systems changing injection at the same time and if it was Rottweiler would use this to clear engine light..
    Riddler990 likes this.
  8. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    there is one already https://advrider.com/f/threads/power-commander.1421813/
    Riddler990 and Migolito like this.
  9. turbofan790

Oddometer:
    I have put in an email to Rottweiler and will report back with what we come up with.
    ramirin likes this.
  10. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    So, what we need is to have either the PCV or autotune module have an additional connector to attach to the stock harness where it would normally connect to the stock O2 sensor. Then, it outputs the correct voltage to the harness that the ECU would expect for a given throttle position, load, and RPM. These data points could be determined on the dyno. Actually, you only need it in the closed loop range. Meanwhile, the wideband O2 sensors and the autotune module are making sweet love while the cruise control is working.
  11. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    yup on the 790 stock holes are 18mm
  12. TachItUp

TachItUp n00b

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a 790 Duke from a dealer and found some installed goodies that may be helpful in regards to this thread. It has a PCV and wideband/autotune module, along with what appears to be a verex decat pipe. No CEL, so I imagine it's running the closed loop map. The bike has 5k miles on it and runs strong and cool. No complaints about the fueling either, but I haven't spent enough time on a stock 790 to directly compare.
  13. Mikkoyli

Mikkoyli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think these are the options with decatting:
    - PC V with open loop map, tuning in the dyno or Autotune, O2 sensors connected => lean in closed loop area but otherwise good
    - PC V with race map, tuning in the dyno or Autotune, O2 sensors disconnected => best mapping but engine light
    - Coober, O2 sensors connected => not tuned for decatting, for catted bike might be good
    - STC + others modifying OEM ECU software => should have it tuned with decatted bike, maybe they have not done it yet, for catted bike might be good
  14. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    One thing to add is that with option two, best mapping, will disable cruise control. That makes it difficult to decide.
  15. Kinkysmurf

Kinkysmurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Verex mid pipe in the post. I nearly brought a Coober way back with the Wings ( package deal), but they lost me with the " Let the engine be an engine" and the thermo thing just confused me.

I liked the Coober graph, Sizable increase in low down torque, more than I think Ive seen on any Rottweiller map, but is it true ? I found very few real world reviews and a fair bit of bullshit.

Peak horsepower is not what I'm looking for, which fits with @turbofan790 original post about what to expect.

I dont know much about this topic , but Im following along over here. I got lots of questions.
    ramirin likes this.
  16. Kinkysmurf

Kinkysmurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rang a Dyno shop here in Oz, the 790 is new to them so not much confirmed info.

They are a " Dynojet Power Commander tuning centre. Our technician is fully trained and certified by Dynojet."

Guy is gonna talk with his boss when back from holidays and do some inquires in the industry.

He's talking about cracking OEM ECU as a possiblity, since the engine light thing is not just 790's. Euro 5 has affected many bikes in this way and companies are working to crack it.

Also talked a lot about other Ktm's 990, 1090, 1190 1290. Saying the loaded Rotteweiller maps that they have re tuned in Australia, are good, but can be improved on a fair bit locally, our fuel is not same.

Talked about https://www.dimsport.it/en/rapid-bike/ as well as a possiblilty.

I liked that they are a "PC authorized centre" but not just trying to sell me that.

Many questions answered.
    TachItUp likes this.
  17. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Would be easy to just buy map from Rotty for $50 but as the fuel is different you still need to dyno locally. At the moment I'm waiting for airboxes to finish to avoid two dyno sessions.

790 is euro4 (checked recently, I too thought it was 5)
    kzeb and TrailTrauma like this.
  18. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya, I think Ramirin, you are right. I went through similar situation with a different bike. My shop and I decided to build up a motor for a different bike, the PCV came with a map for the stock bike, still had to have a map built to work with the motor upgrades...So it makes sense for the guys down under to get a map built down there with their gas...Just another opinion...
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    The tuner I have on my HOG allows one to choose a base map based on variables such as muffler, intake, and so on. I go online, choose the mod choices which best match my own build and then download that basemap. Oz must be a decent sized market. I don't know how it would be possible but if Rottweiler could build an Oz - gas specific option for you guys that would be nice. And the maps should all be free after you buy the PCV from a tuner/vendor. Then as you change equip to say an open muffler style, or the new intake and so on a user can simply go online, check off all the options that apply and presto - download a new base map. Then allow the auto tune to do the rest over time. You can't ship fuel, but I wonder if an Oz lab could break it down, and then send that info to the US and possibly have that quality fuel made in small batches so Rottweiler could try tuning for it, and then add it as an option. I'm spitballing here big time. I just think there is a lost opportunity to provide more expansive base maps with the PCV's that ship world wide.
  20. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    It’s still not going to compensate for their oxygen molecules being updated down.
    TrailTrauma, kzeb and TachItUp like this.