790 Adventure FAQ

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by [Art], Jun 20, 2019.

1. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://790adventure.net/random/recent-updates/

Site update

This site has been hacked a week or so ago. And was for a while serving spam according to some geo localization rules. Of course my own geo location was not targeted, so I didn’t notice at all… Thanks to the people who send me messages to let me know.

After a fine tuned scan of the site pages I found weird code in plenty of places. I still don’t know how the intrusion happened, but after cleaning up the mess I installed supplemental security measures, turned off a bunch of services I didn’t use, and buttoned up the installation.

If you were affected by the outage, please accept my apologies. I hate spammers, and being ambushed while visiting my site is not something I wished to happen.
    floalex, el Pete and CaseyB like this.
  2. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Warning: nert alert!

Do you use nginx and PHP? If so have you any code like this in your nginx config?

Code:
    # php file handling
    location ~ \.php$ {
        fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(.*)$;
        fastcgi_pass    127.0.0.1:9000;
        fastcgi_index   index.php;
    }

If so that is a way in. fastcgi_split_path can't handle a newline which leads to an exploitable buffer overflow. Either update your php or add this before all locations:

Code:
    rewrite ^(.*?)\n $1;  #Fix CVE-2019-11043
  3. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nerds... But really... thank you!
  4. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I'm old school, I use Apache :)
    floalex and marchyman like this.
  5. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ibgary and CaseyB like this.
  6. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    vgreno2000 likes this.
  7. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the FAQ chain tension topic it says: To use this procedure you need the rear lifted from the ground, but from the swing arm with your favorite lifting gear. Not with a center stand…
    In the owner's manual it mentions using a rear lift stand to check the chain tension but does not mention anything about not using the center stand. I assumed this was because the bike doesn't come with a center stand and a center stand is never mentioned in any context in the owner's manual. Is there some other source of information that says you should not use the center stand when checking chain tension?
  8. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    General rule of chain tension: If the bike is on a center stand the swing arm is not supported, or at least not fuller supported. It may be at the lowest portion of its arc. Chain tension tightens as the swing arm raises. It will be tightest when the counter shaft sprocket, swing arm pivot, and rear sprocket are all in line. If you set tension with the swing arm in its lowest (or highest) position it will be too tight when everything is in line.

The wheel stand supports the bike from the swing arm. This moves the swing arm alignment closer to where the chain is tightest.

I park my bike on a lift table with the front secured by a wheel chock. The rear end has full weight on the rear tire. I believe the swing arm is in the same position it would be if the bike were supported on a rear stand. I do see that the alignment is quite close to where the chain would be under maximum tension.
    fiascoj likes this.
  9. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What @marchyman says: Using the center stand means the suspension is fully extended. Using a rear lift, the suspension sits at the sag line. The difference is quite important. If you use a center stand to do your chain tension you have a non negligible risk of setting it too tight.
    gsuks likes this.
  10. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    The idea is to get the wheel off the ground so you can spin it and find the tight spot, then check tension, but it needs to be under load. I have my wife watch as I roll it in the driveway, then I check it on the side stand.
  11. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So on an extended trip when you aren’t carrying a full rear lift or have access to a lift table, you would have to use something like the Endurostar Trail Stand or the SnapJack to lift the rear from the swing arm?
  12. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Technically using one of those stand moves half the load, if not more, to the side stand.
  13. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what’s the best solution on an extended trip? Thanks for your advice, I’m coming from a shaft drive world so no experience with chain drive adjustment.
  14. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    stand on the opposite side of the chain/bike, lean down and over seat and try to yank the bike down by grabbing the swing arm with one hand While pressing down w your body and use the other hand to see tension. May be a bit more difficult on the 790

Take my free advice for what it’s worth
  15. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    This is pretty easy really, I think all y'all are over thinking this....

As the factory spec is to measure while the swingarm is supported with a swingarm stand, do this while at home.
    - Set the tension per spec.
    - Now take it off the swingarm stand and rest the bike on the side stand or center stand, whatever you will be using on the road.
    - Measure the chain tension again, this is your new nominal/baseline value when using the respective side or center stand.
    - When using the side or center stand on the road, adjust to the value you determined, not the factory spec.

***Now after saying all that, I encourage you to go measure these things for yourself, but I can tell you that the difference between the measures on a swingarm spool stand vs. using the side stand are negligible ( 0.5mm at most). If you want to use a centerstand, make sure to measure as there will be a difference for the reasons pointed out in the above posts.
    TrailTrauma and ibgary like this.
  16. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    But his question you quoted was how to do it out and about on an extended trip.

How I do it is, I don’t
    ibgary likes this.
  17. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm not picking up what you're putting down, but the context I read @slink 's question in is how to check for a future trip, not that he's on a trip right now.

So the procedure I stated provides a very workable solution as long as he gets his new chain tension measurement while at home. Or, in absence of a swingarm spool stand, just take my word for it that the side stand and swingarm stand measures are close enough to the same to just use the side stand....
    ibgary likes this.
  18. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:

I don’t want to speak for him.

I also know you give out a lot of good info
  19. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You’re correct that I’m home now, can check tension with rear lift then on side stand, then use the side stand measurement during future trips. Thanks to everyone for educating me on chain adjustments!
  20. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wrote an entry in the FAQ about the "clutch failures". I'm trying to stick to the facts, and not interpret, but it's hard. Facts are scarce, and people reporting a clutch failure are not really explicit about what was the failure exactly.And of course most of the content is on Facebook, which is impossible to search. If you have better sources, let me know.

This whole story is not helped by the very human fact that a fool who cooked his clutch by doing something stupid or not letting any freeplay is never going to admit it, right? Its easier to blame the design… Anyway.

As always, feedback welcome.

https://790adventure.net/random/recent-updates/

November 18 2019

• Added an entry about the much discussed clutch issues on some rare bikes..
    November 14 2019
    • The feature you don’t know you wanted until you see it in action: the picture on the home page now rotates through the various models. Fancy
    floalex, braaap! and gsuks like this.