790 Adventure FAQ

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by [Art], Jun 20, 2019.

1. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please share.
  2. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to throw in, on my 2020 R model, I ran out of fuel on the first tank at 190 miles, the fual guauge still read full (half tank). Thanks to Windblown, I checked and found both fuel shutoffs on the bottom of the tank closed so fuel was not allowed to equalize. Might be worth posting in your info. I'm not sure if was a PDI screwup or something the factory didn't do.
    ibgary likes this.
  3. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been a while, it is time for a quick update on analytics for the FAQ. There was a downtime this month on the stats, as the site was hacked and I turned down all the non-essentials for a week to figure out what was going on. But still, some numbers to share.

Page views are fairly stable, around 27k/month, from 3k visitors. There was a slow increase until the snafu this month, I expect a recovery in December.

Users are still from all over. Largest contingent is from Europe (43%), followed by North America (34%), then Autralasia (8%) and South America (2%).

You lot stay on the site for a while. The average visitors visit 5 pages and spend almost 7 minutes on the site.

The site is getting known, and most of the traffic these days is via Google Search (50%), and the rest is split equally between Social (well, mostly Facebook), Direct (aka, from your bookmarks or typing) and Referrals from forums all over (advrider is 66% of that traffic, with a lot of small forums in various languages for the rest).

53% of you are using a mobile device to read the FAQ, the rest are on a desktop. OS split is Windows (30%), iOS (29%), Android (24%), Mac (15%), the rest is noise (hello to the 15 visitors on Linux!).

The main entry point is the home page, with recent update being the most common entry point after that.

The least visited article is the privacy policy, with 3 views a month…
  4. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One comment on the photo you show in the clutch up date. That is the photo of the clutch with burnt oil residue , the photo above in the forum is the normal clutch photo.
  5. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If speaking of the photo of my clutch that appeared in the Faq - Yep, it had gotten hot a few times as evidenced by the sticky oil residue and plates. It was still functioning fine and there was no sign of impending doom that I could find. I replaced both the clutch pack and springs (the faq just mentioned the springs). I'll be monitoring for signs of overheating again down the road and keeping a close eye on lever play. At the moment I'm willing to write it off as user error despite a few 100 thousand miles on bikes and only one burnt up clutch pack which was on an '05 RFS-525 with an ungodly amount of hours on it, shyt happens. However if I see signs of excessive heat at the next check I'll add my voice to the disgruntled.
    sideup and Toddv like this.
  6. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Us great unwashed devotees of the Unicorn owe you a depth of gratitude [Art]! The FAQ is the modern version of the old 9X0 HOW...

Thankyou!

Your ninja-inter webs skills are much appreciated by this mad orange Monk!
    comac90, CalamariKid, kubcat and 3 others like this.
  7. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^. FAQ appreciated by all of us!! Fine job.
    Toddv, sideup and kubcat like this.
  8. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the FAQ was a product for consumers... which, there might be an argument for... I’d recommend it be submitted for a shot at “Nifty Fifty”.
    ibgary likes this.
  9. floalex

floalex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Art could you please add Givi to the “interesting third party luggage” ?
    Also RockFox isn’t from New Zealand but South Africa.

Thank you!
    ibgary likes this.
  10. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the front brake issue frequent? Has there been a defenative cause identified. I've heard reports of the pulsing being caused by warped rotors, pads, misaligned wheel hub. My dealer said my rotors were warped. Waiting to hear back from KTM on the warranty coverage.
  11. NHktmRider

NHktmRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For checking chain tension on the trail or on the center stand. Why not just take a ratchet strap (or a luggage strap if your on a trip). Get the rear wheel off the ground then use the strap to compress and hold the suspension in the spot where the chain is tightest.

Or put the strap on while holding the bike upright, then lean it on the side stand to hold the position?

Could also do this same method if lifting the bike from the skid plate.
  12. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d just recommend set the tension by the book in your garage. Then put the bike on the side or center stand in neutral and then use your fingers above or below the swing arm in a particular spot and use those to measure. Then it’s a quick 2-second check anywhere anytime. Chain does not have to be perfect, but it’s best with KTMs to be on the loose side of perfect and not tight side.
  13. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bunch of updates:

December 8 2019
    • Updated the power article with a link to a video showing how to dismantle the headlight.
    • Updated the price of the Chappel bash plate (It’s going down!)
    • Added a bit about the interaction of the cruise control with the traction control.
    • Added a link to seal cleaning advice.
    • Added a whole article on Navigation towers.
    • I’ve installed heated grips on my bike, using the Slaven Racing throttle tube: Works, but the tube needs part of it to be ground away.
    November 28 2019
    trapperj, floalex, Toddv and 2 others like this.
  14. sledneck

sledneck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    [Art], REALLY appreciate all the work you’ve put into this! Thanks so much!!
  15. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I tried to post up a link to the beginning of the Modification thread...let's see if I got it right
  16. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Being a sticky would probably help a lot of people and help limit repeat questions. Which I’m guilty of.
  17. floalex

floalex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @[Art]

- for the aux light section:
    You can order the KTM aux light mount separately. It’s part no 63514910044
  18. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oooh. Nice! Thanks for the info. I’ll update the faq.
    floalex likes this.
  19. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you seen that kit? Do you know what’s included? Just the mounting bracket or are the plugs an relay support included as well?