790 Adventure hand guard recs

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by doctorblanco, Jul 28, 2019.

1. doctorblanco

doctorblanco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, need to replace these flimsy hand guards, is there a consensus on handguards that fit well and are robust?
  2. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. doctorblanco

doctorblanco Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The KTM branded Cycra Pro-Bend center reach handguard kit has everything you need. As for fitting out of the box? I've never seen an aluminum spined handguard kit that fit precisely right out of the box. In the case of the handguards I mentioned above the outside end of the aluminum guard they need just a slight bit more bend to match the sweep of the OEM handlebar. However if you are using a KTM dirtbike handlebar they likely fit with very little if any tweaking.

20190726_103526.jpg
    CaseyB and doctorblanco like this.
  5. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As long as you don't put the handlebar in the forward positions, the solutions in the FAQ are all working just fine as long as the required spacers are present. With the handlebars in the most forward hole, they may touch the TFT screen. A bar riser can help there.
    doctorblanco likes this.
  6. doctorblanco

doctorblanco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Windblown, do you have the part number for those guards? Really like the colorway you have.
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't. A search for "KTM pro bend center reach guard" brought up ones that look like what I bought from the dealer. The kit came with white/orange plastic deflectors. I swapped to the black cycra deflectors.
  8. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Acerbis X Factor work well too. You might need to add a small 1/2 inch spacer too provide a bit more lever clearance. (I bought a little spacer from Home Depot that worked great.).
    factoryphil likes this.
  9. doctorblanco

doctorblanco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Venturer, I ended up going with the X-Factors. Did you need to get a longer bolt to go with the spacer?
  10. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    QUOTE="doctorblanco, post: 38095997, member: 363426"]Thanks Venturer, I ended up going with the X-Factors. Did you need to get a longer bolt to go with the spacer?[/QUOTE] I didn’t need a longer bolt, but if the spacer is wider than about 1/2 inch, you would need a longer bolt. They look great.

1DC9DD83-D768-4115-8CEF-AA6CDEC7F1CB.jpeg

Spacer is the little chrome piece below:

2DA269B9-8D50-4C2F-B43C-4BCA44E41993.jpeg
    doctorblanco likes this.
  11. doctorblanco

doctorblanco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thank you Venturer this is really helpful.
  12. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know that you have made a decision but I think this thread will be useful to many. I am going to try the Enduro Engineering hand guards as I am looking for something that is minimalist and doesn't interfere with cable routing. I will post up a pic when I get them mounted.
    doctorblanco likes this.
  13. svneko

svneko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Brillo, did you ever get those EE guards mounted up?
  14. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did, here are the best pics I have handy that shows them. I wish I could get them up a little higher without having to raise the levers up.

Attached Files:

CaseyB likes this.
  15. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KTM power parts hand guards are basically improved BarkBusters and proper strong, and less flashy.
  16. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How are they "improved" over the stock BBs, other than limiting your color choices to those that "match" the factory colors? Also, are they the same price as buying BB from a big online store, or the usual marked up KTM Resale Price?
  17. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think they’re actually cheaper than the Barkbusters here.
    They also have offset clamps to accommodate the cables better. I think the normal bark busters are just straight.
    I’ve beat the hell out of mine and they’re still perfect.
  18. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My stockers came with the proper offset clamps to use on the 790, so I think they should be identical. My experience is that KTM powerparts that are resold OEM parts are marked up twice, and thus not cost effective unless you are interested in one stop shopping and don't do your own wrenching.
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    If you PM (Paul) @theantipaul he can point you in the right direction. Or hit up his Highwaydirtbikes.com site. The 790 utilizes the longer aluminum stays when you buy his 'Ultimate Handguards'. (I only mention this because when I tried to transfer mine from my 300xc to the 790 it became apparent the aluminum pieces were too short for the 790 so Paul set me up with the length required for the adventure bikes) I opted for the beefier 'Big Bolt' which requires tapping your bar ends, but don't let that scare you off. Paul provides the tap and bolts. Bit of WD-40, a plumbers wrench and you can tap both bar ends inside of 20 minutes if you're sloooow. Then clean out the shavings and threads, and blue lock tite the bolts and you're good. Get the attachable mirrors! They perfectly replace the ugly OEM mickey mouse ear mirrors. Frankly the HDB mirrors blew me away with how bomb proof they are - zero! vibration, zero movement, work great on the road or trail and in a bike drop they just rotate back up and inwards. If you aren't using mirrors, they just fold back into place safely behind the handguards. If you want the strongest handguards on the planet, these are the choice to make. Ask Paul which set will work for you, and ask about the big bolt option, the mirrors, and whether you should buy the top clamp as well. I purchased the top clamp at the same time and it works like a charm.

https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=HDB-100

20190919_181115.jpg 20190919_181147.jpg 20190919_181347.jpg
  20. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like a lot of work to mount the ugliest handguards ever :dunno
    Venturer and macaw1us like this.