790 Adventure Quickshifter - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by CalamariKid, Dec 14, 2019.

1. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my 790 ADV R today - still at the dealer as they are going to install the heated grips and cruise control.

I’m on the fence on the quickshifter - I’ve never had one and can’t really visualize what it does or the benefit. So - looking to pick the brain of the collective experience/wisdom here on the pros/cons of the quickshifter.

Also - even if you have it - is it something you can disable easily (like through the menu) if you decide you don’t like it?

I’ve read here I think that folks have had issues with it misinterpreting a desire to shift, especially when off road - don’t know how prevalent that is or how disruptive - though in rough stuff I expect ian unintentional shift would be pretty unwelcome.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine came with the QS+ enabled when I bought it with no way to turn it off which I believe is the standard configuration at time of sale. Having to pay for software to turn it off felt like paying a ransomware demand, LOL.

But pay it I did because while it was fun to play with for a bit I didn't want it on all the time and have in fact not turned it back on since I disabled it.

In hindsight I should have just unplugged the QS+ connector first before paying for the software to see if it threw a code or simply disabled the function.
    lithodave and CalamariKid like this.
  3. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it’s really easy to turn it off in the menu. But try it - I love it!
    CalamariKid and CaseyB like this.
  4. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since default is: it works, then YES.
    you need to pay to be able to shut it off. It’s a nice bit of widgetry, honest.
    bobnoxious67 and CalamariKid like this.
  5. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the quick shifter and use it all the time. KTMs version works really well. Comes in handy off road just banging a shift while keeping full grip on the bars in rough stuff.
  6. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plus with an open pipe and decat... banging up the box hard on road, is an aural pleasure :)
    El Fidde and CalamariKid like this.
  7. sledneck

sledneck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine came with quick shifter enabled. When the bike was new, if my crossfires just barely touched the shifter, it would hesitate and almost throw me forward. I cant stand QS, but I’m not paying $300 to shut something I didn’t order OFF. I don’t graze the shifter much at all now. Guess I just love shifting gears with the clutch! Don’t get me started about not being able to get a new full size truck with a manual transmission.
    CalamariKid likes this.
  8. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it, it works pretty well. Much better than the QS on my Tracer 900. It has not interfered with my riding but I'm generally on the balls of my feet unless I have to shift or brake. But yea, it should be on by default and you have to pay for the software to tun it off.
    CalamariKid likes this.
  9. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the education all! Much appreciated!
  10. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Quick shifter on mine was enabled from the factory but not enabled for next software update. To keep in enabled you need to pay for it. Personally I really like the quick shifter on my 1290 and the 790. They work really well and I find it useful on and off road.
  11. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love it, and never turn it off. Shouldn't have paid extra! But, I picked my bike up pretty early before we knew it was on by default.

I find it very handy to be able to just turn cruise back on after a low speed zone (e.g. on the way out of town) and shift as it speeds up, or to be able to down shift on a hill without having to play the clutch.
  12. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought it was only enabled by default until the 1st service? Then they disable it.
  13. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 1st experience with it was on my S1000XR and I figured it was going to be a gimmicky thing I wouldn't use but it turned out to be brilliant. For blipping down the range trailing into corners on he brakes where you would expect it to be nice but also ... it's just slick on forest roads or anywhere sketchy that you might have picked the wrong gear and want a different one in a split second.

I'm looking forward to having it on the 790R.
    CalamariKid likes this.
  14. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    It's great fun on the pavement. I had some issues with it between first and second with incomplete shifts so only really recommend it above second gear, but might have been operator error. However, it is problematic off road where it's more common to unconsciously bump the shifter with your boot and either lose power for a second or accidentally shift where normally you would never even realize you had touched the shifter. By nature of how it works, it is (and has to be) pretty sensitive. Played with it a bit and then turned it off during my time with the bike, as I personally enjoy the challenge of doing it myself and got tired of the frustration off road.
    chevtech, enduro16, Nowwhat and 2 others like this.
  15. cc3

cc3 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it!
    CalamariKid likes this.
  16. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it. Works for me on and off road. Going up hill off road and need to go down a gear? Just stab the shift lever. No loss of momentum.

I think folks that don’t like it won’t stay off the clutch, which interferes.

Not saying it’s the 100% solution.
    braaap! and CalamariKid like this.
  17. ndavis

ndavis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can make it not function by unbolting one side of the sensor and zip tie it out of the way, I did that for a while until I had to bring the bike in for service work.
    windblown101 likes this.
  18. bspf

bspf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my 790R on Christmas eve day. Had no idea what the quick shifter was, but after reading this I'm going to get it activated when I bring it in for the cruise control and heated grips. I've already got 25 miles on it! ;(
    braaap! likes this.
  19. henrys

henrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    QS + Rekluse = nearly full automatic bike? :lol3
    BHoward and braaap! like this.
  20. SirWreckaLot

SirWreckaLot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, I’ll be that guy... I think the quickshifter is overrated. It’s kind of cool but it’s completely unnecessary and just one of those things that should really be standard. I can wiggle the throttle almost as fast as the shifter, it wasn’t an “oh wow” moment for me. If you’re up the air about spending the $300ish it costs, maybe spend that money elsewhere on the bike or personal gear. Now, cruise control - worth it.

Just my two cents.
    nibby and ndavis like this.