790 Adventure Quickshifter - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by CalamariKid, Dec 14, 2019.

1. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    it depends on up or downshifting. Before auto-blipping downshifting was common, upshifts were handled with a momentary cut in the ignition.

Maybe and yes.

I currently have one of those 15T front sprockets on order from Rottweiler... or should say, back-ordered. It's been nearly a month. So you can order it from them, but it will take a while.

As for the gear-jammer; I like it. I'm also a guy that never passes up a chance to add to the toolbox, especially if it means I can complete a task solo and without assistance.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  2. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t get the recall done then because Your bike gets plugged in
  3. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a call from my dealer re: my bike that has been waiting for QS software... for a month! He said that he's been told that NO OPTIONS involving software can be sold with a 790 Adventure at this time. None: cruise control, whatever. Fortunately, they'd already downloaded my Cruise Control option to my bike, so it's still just QS that is preventing delivery. Still no ETA for software availability. Since "all" software is now involved, it sounds more like a problem with the interface between the tool, KTM and the bike than that the software doesn't exist or work. With nobody at the office, there's nobody to resolve the issue. No priority, apparently. He said that KTM was supposed to revise the remote login last weekend, so that may have something to do with it. He tried again on Monday, but no luck. In the meantime, the dealers can either talk buyers out of options so that they can deliver a bike or they can continue to pay floorplan on it and keep it. Not good for dealers, not good for customers...
  4. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just saw this on a FB Group:

67E4EAC6-26E9-4EC2-ADAF-E17CD569EC6B.jpeg
    BHoward likes this.
  5. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted that already (post #169 in this thread). The new word is that it isn't just limited to QS, but is now ALL software-enabled options. I don't have the KTM technical bulletin copy to post yet.
    Orfeas likes this.
  6. busdrj

busdrj n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got back from the 600 mi service and the brake line recall. I purchased the S model with no QS+ so no menu options. I was told the day I rode it home that quickshifting is enabled but will be turned off at the 600 mi service. Quickshifting is still working great after the service and recall. Both up and down just like before. I called the mechanic back when I got home to report what I found out. He said that he does not do anything to disable the QS but software updates might and because no updates were required or requested when he connected to KTM to reset the service light and notify home about the recall. So, I agree with several previous comments and plan to stay from factory software updates because I LIKE the QS. Would be nice to have the QS+ menu options but they were not there before the service. I know, KTM can release a software update to put the QS+ menu options in the computer but when you get the update it really removes the QS... :rofl
  7. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode 2 new 790 Adv R bikes from the same dealership. I swear that the first one didn't have QS but the 2nd one, the one I took home, did have it. There's no doubt because you can feel the engine drop power as soon as you toe the shift lever up. I'm still waiting for the factory to fix the software delivery problem they're having, having bought QS+ but unable to have it installed before delivery.
  8. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Could be the first one didn't have it calibrated properly. That seems more likely than that they have different software loads coming out of the factory.
  9. Slvrtundevl

Slvrtundevl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got mine back from the dealer, and Quickshift was gone... Called them back, and now I have to wait for the Software to be fixed before they can re-upload it... Oh boy! I no longer see it on my screen either..
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  10. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sucks!
  11. Mikkoyli

Mikkoyli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked my Rally from first service. New software was there and now everything works: quickshifter+, cruise control and slip control in Rally-mode. CC is now visible in the menu. Earlier QS was working downwards but not upwards. Difference is clear how it works now. First service 1000 km was expensive 310 Eur.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  12. snail01

snail01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First update at fort service in Canada removes QS. While it never was in the menu it was for sure and cutting out on shifting up and blipping on shifting down.

Glad it’s gone actually. Makes for smoother regular shifting. And I was getting weird reactions off road if I would accidentally touch the lever.

One the street the QS is fun since it makes sweet noises on upshift lol
  13. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I still miss my 1998 Chevy 3500 4 door long box with the 5 speed. It was actually pretty fun to drive that thing around town and it freewheeled awesome on the highway downhills.
    sledneck likes this.
  14. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where are you from? Here in New Brunswick the dealer WILL NOT connect any device (XC_1) to the bike until the above service bulletin is removed. I had an appointment made 1.5 months ago (!) to finally upload Cruise Control software to go along with the hardware I installed over the winter. With this and all the Quick Shifter crap above, I am growing tired of KTM.

As they were about to roll my bike into the service bay they asked if this was the R model or the Rally model. After telling them that this was an R, he explained the service bulletin. Why is the Rally model software good to go? but the R not?
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  15. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is your bike heavily modified or are they really that clueless???
    I mean, they should recognise what they sell...
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  16. mapuda

mapuda Crash Tested Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode my 2019 S model yesterday that had the QS option installed at the 600 mile service. I could not get the QS to work. It shows as enabled on the Settings/Motorcycle menu. Tried disabling it and turning key off. Then turn key back on and enable but QS still not working. Have to take it in for the brake recall anyway so I will have them check out the QS.

Get this when I called they said it might be 4-5 days before they "can get to my bike". I asked about making an appointment and they said they don't do that. Really? 2020 in Las Vegas, NV?
  17. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a Harley/KTM dealer.
  18. Billyj7175

Billyj7175 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue with my local dealer on getting the first service done; leave it for 3 days. Luckily a dealer an hour north of me would do it while I waited. Pretty much every bike shop I've been in lately is simply slammed with work. I'm guessing the covid 19 stay-at-home deal has people pulling neglected bikes out of the garage and getting them going.
    mapuda likes this.
  19. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    A what now ?

Seems like an odd mix, when my local Harley shop had Buell, it was obvious the shop really didn't want anything to do with them.

If you get buffeting you can't get rid of, try removing the bar tassles they installed :jack
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  20. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paid for QS+. Still don’t have it. I have an IOU from the dealer. Said software is still messed up and KTM hasn’t resolved it. He was saying he thinks end of July KTM will allows dealers to enable it again.