790 Adventure Quickshifter - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by CalamariKid, Dec 14, 2019.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can use the clutch normally as you said. The only issue is if you lightly bump the shifter with your foot or forget qs+ is enabled and go to preload the shifter out of habit...

Obviously that is rider all dependant and it sounds like plenty of folks never run into that problem. I found it happening rarely but often enough that (for me) it was better to just leave it disabled and not have to learn new habits. Whether that's smart or lazy is up for debate, lol. Regardless it's what works for me.
  2. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Mine came with it enabled. Only downside is a couple times I've put just enough pressure on the shift lever to make it think I'm going to downshift but I didn't actually downshift. This causes the engine to rev in anticipation of the downshift and you end up getting a little surge in speed. Could be an unpleasant surprise if it happens at the wrong time.
  3. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not quite right. My S came with QS enabled. It's been to the dealer twice, once to enable Cruise and Rally Modes and another for the 600 mile service. QS is still enabled.

Would it still be enabled if the dealer did a firmware upgrade? :dunno
    ndavis likes this.
  4. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

CSM is down the hall. We insult each other frequently in the basement. No need here.
    kzeb and braaap! like this.
  5. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting.
  6. ndavis

ndavis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine came with the QS enabled, has been back to the dealer twice and it still works, I think it is better for downshifting, it is just unnatural to upshift without bliping the throttle.
  7. Kinkysmurf

Kinkysmurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine arrived in June '19. No quickshift up/down or sideways. Happy with that too. Left foot and right hand is QS.
    SirWreckaLot likes this.
  8. chrislitt

chrislitt Drinking the Orange Kool-Aid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My dealer just called me and reported my 790R (to be) is in. This might make this discussion more interesting- he said the QS comes enabled shifting up, costs extra, $329-ish, to be able to quick shift down. Maybe that is what everyone is saying but I missed that, if so. So, cool, I'll use the clutch down and QS up- when I feel like it. I have QS both directions on a 790 Duke. There is no way I can shift/work levers as fast as pulling up on my toe without letting up on the throttle. And, you do have to learn not to diddle with the shift lever unless you are intending to do something.
    SirWreckaLot likes this.
  9. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Who me? I don’t even have a 790 - I was just trying to stir some shit up.

J/K - Yeah, I got it - getting used to it - old dog new tricks and all. It’s ok - not the best thing since sliced bread. Honestly it is taking me some time to reprogram myself to it - I’m so used to blipping the throttle, that not doing it makes me feel like I’m going to fuck up the bike. Just gotta have faith I guess.

So, for me it is really a novelty, not a big game changing add on. Contrast that with, for example, a Rekluse clutch, which IMO is game changing. I don’t have one of this bike and don’t intend to put one one, but have it on my 500EXC and it is the shiznit. Friggin love that thing.
    kzeb, lithodave, CaseyB and 1 other person like this.
  10. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thing is, with QS as most bikes as delivered... 'QS on upshift' is cool... Under hard acceleration, you get that glorious GP like pop/fart... Which is, Awesomely Entertaining and Fast!!
    Bang down the box without and there will be a service charge...

With QS enabled, for both Up and Down, it's fabulous both On Road and Off!
    You can still do the old skool analogue downshift with the clutch and (auto / manual) throttle blip if so desired... Bleh, I'm gettin' old and need to conserve my energy - My analogue 950Adv really hates me when I get onboard now!

Raced air / watercooled cooled Yamaha back in the day... They would upshift with no clutch all day with a sniff off the throttle. Downshifts, always analogue plus the 'blip'.

QS to me is same as the fridge light... open the door it's on, close the door and it's off (I think / hope - hard to tell).
    How many of us still have a Motorola flip-phone and decree it is still the one and only game changer?

Be very keen to know if the 450RR's have QS onboard... As standard or as a Rider 'yeah - Nah' option?

YRMV.
    OhDuh, seenthesaucers and CaseyB like this.
  11. chrislitt

chrislitt Drinking the Orange Kool-Aid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am with the CalamariKid on this one (at the risk of getting off-topic flamed). My low eye-hand coordination is even worse as I push 67 yo. So I've been lousy at managing rear wheel spin with the clutch when things get hairy. The Rekluse has been a game-changer for me. In the words of another inmate, now I need something else for the 790!
    Thumper Dumper likes this.
  12. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not 67 yet but have to agree that the Rekluse is a very useful tool (Yes I know that I should be a riding god and a manual clutch is way better) for a semi-skilled rider like myself. I have the Rekluse and QS and I think they compliment each other very nicely.
  13. Bamboo Baby

Bamboo Baby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM screwed up on our bikes here, and delivered all of them with QS activated already. So we did not have to pay for it . Bargain.
  14. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone confirm that the quickshifter remains functional after the first service if you don't pay for it?
  15. natedog39

natedog39 Borderline Beefcake

Oddometer:
    This guy is gonna be fun.
    :lurk
    SirWreckaLot, braaap! and kzeb like this.
  16. natedog39

natedog39 Borderline Beefcake

Oddometer:
    I wish I had that problem,I had to pay for mine.
    It was worth it though. Incidentally I did tap the shifter while offroad and made the engine hesitate.
  17. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was told that once you enable something else, the tech operating the computer has to have the code enabled for QS for your bike. If you haven't paid for it, it'll get disbled. I have heard that people did not have this experience but, I did.
  18. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I reported either elsewhere or earlier in this thread my standard model came with QS enabled. It has been to the dealer twice, once to enable cruise control and rally modes and a second time for the 600 mile service. QS is still enabled on my bike.

I do not think there were any firmware updates done at either visit. Perhaps my results would be different had a firmware update occurred.

Edit: my (Japanese) wife was looking over my shoulder, pointed at your Icon, and said "Bad...bad". I said that's fitting for a one called EvilSteve :lol2
    EvilSteve, chrislitt and Fabricator like this.
  19. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Just had cruise control enabled on mine. QS still works. I haven't paid for it. Second time it's been into a dealer.

Did they tell you that they disabled it or did you find out the hard way?
  20. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suspect it varies by dealer. I think they are "supposed" to disable the qs on the 1st service if you haven't paid for it, but some fail to do so for whatever reason.