790 Adventure Quickshifter - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by CalamariKid, Dec 14, 2019.

1. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here.

It's the best quickshifter I've ever used, I don't see how it would screw anything up. snick - snick - snick headed up, blip-snick, blip-snick, ... on the way down. It's better than my 1290SAR was, and it embarrasses my 1250GSA with how smooth it works.

I crossed my fingers it stayed enabled when the dealer did the 600mi service, it did. At some point I'm going to get the cruise enabled, with my fingers crossed then as well.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  2. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
  3. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just spoke with KTM Support. They put me on hold and asked around and said the following:

Unless you see the Quickshifter listed in the menu options, your bike doesn't have it.

Are they wrong? Or are we all messing up our clutches?
    JETalmage likes this.
  4. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Depends. You can upshift without the clutch. It's taught in advanced track and race schools. Downshifting on the other hand, not so much. Again, you can downshift without the clutch, but you're at risk of damaging all of your shifting components.

When you downshift, does the engine auto-blip the throttle for you?
  5. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Mine sure seems to work but I do occasionally have this nagging fear that I'm going to hear the crunch of a gear tooth breaking off.

I don't see how it would hurt the clutch though.
  6. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Will check next time I'm out on it.

But it is certainly not like my Tiger 1200 or Street Triple that both have up/down quickshifters.
  7. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    It seems to on mine. In fact a couple times it's blipped the throttle when I inadvertently put just enough pressure on the shift lever to trigger it but not enough to complete the shift. The bike actually surged without a change in throttle input from me.
  8. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    It won't hurt the clutch packs, but the other components, shift dog, drum, shifter return spring, shift fork, etc... all can see increased wear or break.

Then you should have Q+. Part of its function is an auto-blip of the throttle on downshift as to rev-match.
  9. krussell

Oddometer:
    It works just like my GSA, 1290SAR, and other bikes I've had ridden with QS, including the blip. It's not anything like doing a clutchless shift on bikes I've had without the QS.

The only way to know definitively is for someone who doesn't have QS purchased but thinks they have it to go ahead and buy it and see if it makes a difference. @Jarrett2, how about it? :-)

@Jarrett2, I haven't ridden a Tiger 1200 or street triple with a quick shifter, how is the 790 different?
  10. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    There is a more noticeable increase in RPMs on downshift.

Also a lot more consistent up and down.
  11. krussell

Oddometer:
    More noticeable on the Triumphs?
  12. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Yes, sounds as if someone revved the engine.

Triumphs are more consistent in both directions as well.
  13. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not have the menu option to turn it on and off. QS+ was enabled from the factory as has been mentioned a bunch of times. I then did buy the QS+ package so I could turn it off.

Before buying the package = Throttle would blip on clutchless down shifts and cut momentarily on upshifts. Gently applying pressure to the shift lever without enough to cause a shift would cause the bike to surge forward if applying down pressure and the thottle would cut out with up pressure on the shifter.

After buying the QS+ Package = No change whatsoever in how the QS operated, except I could now turn it off, which is what I wanted. :)
    krussell likes this.
  14. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    That's good news.

Can you call KTM Support and let them know how it works? :)
    braaap! likes this.
  15. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure. But to do so you need to back off the throttle or have some other way to momentarily disrupt power to remove the forces that will otherwise try to hold the transmission in its current gear.

The 790 upshifts like butter with the throttle wide open under load. That tells me that the quickshifter is enabled. The sensor on the shift linkage momentarily disrupts power allowing near perfect shifts, especially when in 3rd gear and higher.

Downshifting works on my bike, too. No grinding gears, but is not nearly as smooth as upshifts.

My 790S does not have QS+ enabled.
  16. krussell

Oddometer:
    I think we should avoid discussing it with KTM Support, I'm worried they'll fix it by removing the current behavior. I'd prefer to use the $ I had allocated for the QS on something else. :-)
    Jarrett2 likes this.
  17. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM makes a lot of changes on the fly and like a lot of companies their internal and external communication likely leaves a lot to be desired. The person answering their phone is probably reading off from some memo that is in excess of 12 months old, outdated, and wrong. I have literally not seen or heard of a single 790 in the states that did not have the QS active upon delivery. Lets call QS+ (the optional accessory mentioned in the manual) the option to turn it off. :)
  18. Kinkysmurf

Kinkysmurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to confuse the issue.
    Mine came with no QS as I mention before. I remember telling the Sales guy and head Tech when I went to pick up bike about the QS being enable in the early bikes released in Europe. I asked them to disabled it at delivery as far as I know and I have no QS+ menu to turn off.
    I know for fact I have never had QS. up or down. So there maybe another option there if people don't want QS and don't want to pay $$$ to turn it off.
    windblown101 likes this.
  19. krussell

Oddometer:
    Had the cruise enabled today, quickshifter remained enabled. Interestingly, you can shift via the quickshifter with the cruise enabled and it doesn't kick it off. Nice in the hills.
    JP4 likes this.
  20. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Might be nice if it QS'd on it's very own for hills. As long as it rev matches, why not?