790 Adventure Quickshifter - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by CalamariKid, Dec 14, 2019.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not have the menu option to turn it on and off. QS+ was enabled from the factory as has been mentioned a bunch of times. I then did buy the QS+ package so I could turn it off.

Before buying the package = Throttle would blip on clutchless down shifts and cut momentarily on upshifts. Gently applying pressure to the shift lever without enough to cause a shift would cause the bike to surge forward if applying down pressure and the thottle would cut out with up pressure on the shifter.

After buying the QS+ Package = No change whatsoever in how the QS operated, except I could now turn it off, which is what I wanted. :)
    krussell likes this.
  2. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's good news.

Can you call KTM Support and let them know how it works? :)
    braaap! likes this.
  3. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure. But to do so you need to back off the throttle or have some other way to momentarily disrupt power to remove the forces that will otherwise try to hold the transmission in its current gear.

The 790 upshifts like butter with the throttle wide open under load. That tells me that the quickshifter is enabled. The sensor on the shift linkage momentarily disrupts power allowing near perfect shifts, especially when in 3rd gear and higher.

Downshifting works on my bike, too. No grinding gears, but is not nearly as smooth as upshifts.

My 790S does not have QS+ enabled.
  4. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think we should avoid discussing it with KTM Support, I'm worried they'll fix it by removing the current behavior. I'd prefer to use the $ I had allocated for the QS on something else. :-)
    Jarrett2 likes this.
  5. windblown101

Oddometer:
    KTM makes a lot of changes on the fly and like a lot of companies their internal and external communication likely leaves a lot to be desired. The person answering their phone is probably reading off from some memo that is in excess of 12 months old, outdated, and wrong. I have literally not seen or heard of a single 790 in the states that did not have the QS active upon delivery. Lets call QS+ (the optional accessory mentioned in the manual) the option to turn it off. :)
  6. Kinkysmurf

Kinkysmurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to confuse the issue.
    Mine came with no QS as I mention before. I remember telling the Sales guy and head Tech when I went to pick up bike about the QS being enable in the early bikes released in Europe. I asked them to disabled it at delivery as far as I know and I have no QS+ menu to turn off.
    I know for fact I have never had QS. up or down. So there maybe another option there if people don't want QS and don't want to pay $$$ to turn it off.
    windblown101 likes this.
  7. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had the cruise enabled today, quickshifter remained enabled. Interestingly, you can shift via the quickshifter with the cruise enabled and it doesn't kick it off. Nice in the hills.
    JP4 likes this.
  8. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might be nice if it QS'd on it's very own for hills. As long as it rev matches, why not?
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    AKA - DCT? Nah, but thanks. ;)
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  10. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I figured the context was cruise control .. keep up! :up
  11. blackSP

blackSP Im 'in orbita ponendum simulat

Oddometer:
    Quickshifter - Yes or No?

Yes!
    Like it, super smooth up and down. Down after getting used to it a bit, need to remember not blib the throttle myself and use the clutch...
  12. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I think when I get my CC activated this season, I should finally pull the trigger on the QS.
  13. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Added the heated grips and cruise control at the 600 mile service.

Was happy to see the QS was still working after getting the bike back home.

The heated grips and CC work well too. Didn't realize the heated grips come with a separate button, I thought it might be menu add.
    krussell likes this.
  14. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    They can add the heated grips to the menu but it requires a new TFT, and a $635 licensing fee. :jack
    krussell likes this.
  15. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the immortal words of Captain Ron: "Well, nobody knows, Boss."

When MY DEALER called KTM US to get to the 'authoritative truth' of the matter, the KTM US tech told my Dealer's KTM TRAINED mechanic exactly the opposite: that the quickshift feature was already functional as delivered, and just the instrument panel's menu was not activated.

Dealers and customers alike are still confused. KTM needs to step up and fix its irresponsible widespread misinformation, and make restitution in no doubt many cases.

JET
    Toddv, brunosac and ZiggyInNc like this.
  16. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM reminds me of the corporation I work for part time, all marketing and product but lacking in the retail dept. Sure you can find and purchase their products, but finding solid service and information can be tricky and it's mostly not the fault of their retailers... This information should/could all be provided in the sales brochure.

If they spent half of what they do in marketing on developing a solid retail experience they'd be unstoppable...
  17. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used the stock secret QS and then later paid to have the feature turned on in the software?

If so, was there any perceivable difference at all?
    mickd likes this.
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I did. I purchased the optional package a few weeks after buying the bike. The reason being I wanted the ability to turn it off. When I turn QS on in the menu now the QS works as it did before. The only difference is the ability to turn it off.
    brunosac, undingen and Jarrett2 like this.
  19. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the QS installed after about 900 miles. In my case, it does function differently/better now. I could force the bike to shift clutch-less under power before adding the QS functionality, but I seldom noticed what I thought was a throttle blip. It didn’t feel mechanically safe to me and it seemed like I was just banging through the gears. Once the software was flashed, it performs like it is supposed to but isn’t flawless. (I seldom hear anything like a throttle blip on downshifts, and it will sometimes hesitate or fail to upshift if I dont have hard throttle in lower gears.). Still, I am glad I have the QS installed, and use it about 50 percent of the time (mainly on the road.)
  20. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    This sounds exactly how my 790 R behaves when I try to QS. I wasn't sure if that was because I didn't have the QS enabled or that's just how KTM's QS system works regardless.

My other bikes are Triumphs and QS on those bikes feels a level or two up from what I'm feeling on my 790 R. It made me wonder if my 790 R QS was broken or just not as good. Seems to be the latter.

Thanks for the info.