790 Adventure Quickshifter - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by CalamariKid, Dec 14, 2019.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    AKA - DCT? Nah, but thanks. ;)
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I figured the context was cruise control .. keep up! :up
  3. blackSP

blackSP 46 59 59 46 46 21

Oddometer:
    Quickshifter - Yes or No?

Yes!
    Like it, super smooth up and down. Down after getting used to it a bit, need to remember not blib the throttle myself and use the clutch...
  4. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I think when I get my CC activated this season, I should finally pull the trigger on the QS.
  5. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Added the heated grips and cruise control at the 600 mile service.

Was happy to see the QS was still working after getting the bike back home.

The heated grips and CC work well too. Didn't realize the heated grips come with a separate button, I thought it might be menu add.
    krussell likes this.
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    They can add the heated grips to the menu but it requires a new TFT, and a $635 licensing fee. :jack
    krussell likes this.
  7. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the immortal words of Captain Ron: "Well, nobody knows, Boss."

When MY DEALER called KTM US to get to the 'authoritative truth' of the matter, the KTM US tech told my Dealer's KTM TRAINED mechanic exactly the opposite: that the quickshift feature was already functional as delivered, and just the instrument panel's menu was not activated.

Dealers and customers alike are still confused. KTM needs to step up and fix its irresponsible widespread misinformation, and make restitution in no doubt many cases.

JET
    Toddv, brunosac and ZiggyInNc like this.
  8. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM reminds me of the corporation I work for part time, all marketing and product but lacking in the retail dept. Sure you can find and purchase their products, but finding solid service and information can be tricky and it's mostly not the fault of their retailers... This information should/could all be provided in the sales brochure.

If they spent half of what they do in marketing on developing a solid retail experience they'd be unstoppable...
  9. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used the stock secret QS and then later paid to have the feature turned on in the software?

If so, was there any perceivable difference at all?
    mickd likes this.
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did. I purchased the optional package a few weeks after buying the bike. The reason being I wanted the ability to turn it off. When I turn QS on in the menu now the QS works as it did before. The only difference is the ability to turn it off.
    brunosac, undingen and Jarrett2 like this.
  11. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the QS installed after about 900 miles. In my case, it does function differently/better now. I could force the bike to shift clutch-less under power before adding the QS functionality, but I seldom noticed what I thought was a throttle blip. It didn’t feel mechanically safe to me and it seemed like I was just banging through the gears. Once the software was flashed, it performs like it is supposed to but isn’t flawless. (I seldom hear anything like a throttle blip on downshifts, and it will sometimes hesitate or fail to upshift if I dont have hard throttle in lower gears.). Still, I am glad I have the QS installed, and use it about 50 percent of the time (mainly on the road.)
  12. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    This sounds exactly how my 790 R behaves when I try to QS. I wasn't sure if that was because I didn't have the QS enabled or that's just how KTM's QS system works regardless.

My other bikes are Triumphs and QS on those bikes feels a level or two up from what I'm feeling on my 790 R. It made me wonder if my 790 R QS was broken or just not as good. Seems to be the latter.

Thanks for the info.
  13. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've described the 790R quickshifter as the best I've had, better than the 1290SAR and GSAs. It was flawless AFAIC. That was until my last ride to the dealer, which is around 30mi one way. It just wasn't as good as it had been. I missed a couple of shifts, either too early or too late, and it didn't seem 'right.' I got home and was thinking about a bit when I reached down to take off my boots. All my rides to date had been with Forma Adventures, my go to boot. But I planned to do quite a bit of walking while waiting on the dealer to replace my TFT on this trip, so I wore my Bates boots. They aren't motorcycle boots, have less sole, and are much thinner on top. Enough that they end up being quite a bit lower in relation to the shifter. Yesterday I put my Forma's back on, took a ride and the QS was back to its best I ever had status. So, more of the long story is if it isn't like butter for you, maybe try adjusting your shifter height. ymmv.
    undingen and scfrank like this.
  14. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    The QS does take some time to get used to. For quite a while I couldn't get it to downshift smoothly. What I discovered was that I was booting the shifter a little too hard. I've found if I just put light pressure on it, it blips the throttle and downshifts very smoothly. I love it off-road hauling into a corner as it's very easy to bang down a couple gears very smoothly.
    Up shifting is generally pretty good, though the lower gears aren't as smooth unless I'm on the gas.
    I have ridden a 790R without the QS and it didn't have the "secret QS" apparently. While it would upshift ok without the clutch, like most any motorcycle, it definitely didn't like going down. If you push down lightly on the shifter and you don't notice a throttle blip, you don't have the QS.
    brunosac likes this.
  15. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The QS may need calibration in the ECM if it's not working propery. Mine does, the downshift blip happens on a hair trigger but the ignition doesn't cut until I have a fair amount of pressure. I can see that the magnet is off center on mine but there's no way to adjust it. I haven't payed for the QS so I doubt they'll calibrate it for me, they may not even be able to. Lol
    JP4 likes this.
  16. Hedonist222

Hedonist222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just checked with a KTM manager

He said up and down shifting is stock = KTM QS

QS+ is the ability to turn off of QS

it makes no sense in any world to put a feature on for free then ask a hefty sum to turn it off

I think what windblown says is correct

quick shift up was free in stock form = QS

QS+ = was supposed to be a paid feature (to have quick shift down and ability to turn off)

now the dealer says QS+ is a paid feature to turn it off
  17. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Nope. QS+ is clutchless up and down shifts. With it comes the ability to turn it off.

If you did not opt for QS+, you would get only clutchless upshifts. No clutchless downshifts.
  18. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I did not purchase the QS just based on the price. Seems neat, but not $300 neat.
  19. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not opt for QS+. I got both UP and DOWN quick shifting. I did not get the option to turn it off. I must admit I initially thought it was UP only. Then I accidentally downshifted without the clutch. Hmmm, no grinding. Further experiments proved that the bike has both UP and DOWN enabled. 2019 standard model.
    brunosac likes this.
  20. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Yep. It's definitely both ways on mine and I didn't pay for it. If I push down on the shifter very carefully I can make the rpms drop without downshifting.
    brunosac likes this.