790 Adventure Quickshifter - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by CalamariKid, Dec 14, 2019.

1. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    I've described the 790R quickshifter as the best I've had, better than the 1290SAR and GSAs. It was flawless AFAIC. That was until my last ride to the dealer, which is around 30mi one way. It just wasn't as good as it had been. I missed a couple of shifts, either too early or too late, and it didn't seem 'right.' I got home and was thinking about a bit when I reached down to take off my boots. All my rides to date had been with Forma Adventures, my go to boot. But I planned to do quite a bit of walking while waiting on the dealer to replace my TFT on this trip, so I wore my Bates boots. They aren't motorcycle boots, have less sole, and are much thinner on top. Enough that they end up being quite a bit lower in relation to the shifter. Yesterday I put my Forma's back on, took a ride and the QS was back to its best I ever had status. So, more of the long story is if it isn't like butter for you, maybe try adjusting your shifter height. ymmv.
    undingen and SCPancho like this.
  2. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    The QS does take some time to get used to. For quite a while I couldn't get it to downshift smoothly. What I discovered was that I was booting the shifter a little too hard. I've found if I just put light pressure on it, it blips the throttle and downshifts very smoothly. I love it off-road hauling into a corner as it's very easy to bang down a couple gears very smoothly.
    Up shifting is generally pretty good, though the lower gears aren't as smooth unless I'm on the gas.
    I have ridden a 790R without the QS and it didn't have the "secret QS" apparently. While it would upshift ok without the clutch, like most any motorcycle, it definitely didn't like going down. If you push down lightly on the shifter and you don't notice a throttle blip, you don't have the QS.
    brunosac likes this.
  3. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The QS may need calibration in the ECM if it's not working propery. Mine does, the downshift blip happens on a hair trigger but the ignition doesn't cut until I have a fair amount of pressure. I can see that the magnet is off center on mine but there's no way to adjust it. I haven't payed for the QS so I doubt they'll calibrate it for me, they may not even be able to. Lol
    JP4 likes this.
  4. Hedonist222

Hedonist222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just checked with a KTM manager

He said up and down shifting is stock = KTM QS

QS+ is the ability to turn off of QS

it makes no sense in any world to put a feature on for free then ask a hefty sum to turn it off

I think what windblown says is correct

quick shift up was free in stock form = QS

QS+ = was supposed to be a paid feature (to have quick shift down and ability to turn off)

now the dealer says QS+ is a paid feature to turn it off
  5. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Nope. QS+ is clutchless up and down shifts. With it comes the ability to turn it off.

If you did not opt for QS+, you would get only clutchless upshifts. No clutchless downshifts.
  6. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I did not purchase the QS just based on the price. Seems neat, but not $300 neat.
  7. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not opt for QS+. I got both UP and DOWN quick shifting. I did not get the option to turn it off. I must admit I initially thought it was UP only. Then I accidentally downshifted without the clutch. Hmmm, no grinding. Further experiments proved that the bike has both UP and DOWN enabled. 2019 standard model.
    brunosac likes this.
  8. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Yep. It's definitely both ways on mine and I didn't pay for it. If I push down on the shifter very carefully I can make the rpms drop without downshifting.
    brunosac likes this.
  9. MondayDad

MondayDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode a 2020 model a week ago and going from 3 to 4 was anything but smooth. In higher (4 to 5, 5 to 6) it was smoother, but still didn't feel like something that was designed to work...
  10. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then it's setup incorrectly. Believe it or not, my 2019 QS, shifts up cleanly at low revs from 1st to 2nd and up through the box... Specially glorious when accelerating, hard on the gas :)
    brunosac and 1coolbanana like this.
  11. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    The more revs, the better. On downshifts, you need to be below a certain rev limit as to not grenade the engine.
  12. ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN

ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used a QS on sport bikes during track days primarily. Not sure how much I'll use it on this one.
  13. Hornblower

Hornblower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe mine is still not working 100% but more revs definitely doesn't make it shift better. When QS was first enabled by my dealer, this is what he told me as well but it was more like speed shifting which doesn't even require electronic QS. After that, I went to another dealer to get it working better and with KTM's technical help, they got it working satisfactorily. Still, shifting in the lower gears isn't completely smooth but downshifting is great and, of course, using QS off road is fantastic.
    braaap! likes this.
  14. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tech told me when I bought the bike that if not setup properly (by them) it was crap, he spent a bit of time and mine was great......until it was serviced and dash replaced and now its not so great.
    Will get them to sort out next visit.
  15. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've clumsily banged down 2 gears and had the rear lock up and step out big time, just caught it with the clutch. Gearbox still works though :)
    As Clarkson has said, 'a little bit of poo came out'.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  16. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the QS. Between it and the slipper clutch I can get pretty aggressive and still keep the bike rubber side down.

At the end of the day it’s just another tool in my toolbox.
    JP4, TrailTrauma and BobcatSig like this.
  17. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket 60% of the time I'm right every time

Oddometer:
    I just had my 1000km service a month ago and bought the QS. Was a little skeptical at first but powering up and shifting changed my mind pretty quick. For me its smooth and going up or down is easy.
    I give it a thumbs up.
    TrailTrauma, JP4 and BobcatSig like this.
  18. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Exactly. For me it's not an either or thing. While I use it intermittently on the road, off road I use the QS almost exclusively. I ride off road standing up most of the time, and it's nice to be able to just click through the gears, especially when I inevitably find myself coming into a slippery corner too hot.
  19. railduke82

railduke82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The quick-shift doesn't show on my dashboard menu. Supposedly the dealer downloaded the software. I've shifted it up and down without the clutch and it's clunky at times. I had a Tuono with a quick-shifter that was smooth as butter. I'm wondering if it's even installed and I'm just banging the gears like a dirt bike?
    JETalmage likes this.
  20. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clunky in what gears and at what RPM? I find 1 -> 2 clunky mostly due to the RPM difference between the two gears. From 3rd and up is fine, especially when shifting under load at higher RPMs (4K or higher). Downshifting seems to be smoother at lower RPMs. I use it for upshifting much more than I do for downshifting, but that's probably just the way I ride. I haven't ridden another 790 so can't say if my bike is typical or different.