1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

790 Adventure Quickshifter - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by CalamariKid, Dec 14, 2019.

1. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode a 2020 model a week ago and going from 3 to 4 was anything but smooth. In higher (4 to 5, 5 to 6) it was smoother, but still didn't feel like something that was designed to work...
  2. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then it's setup incorrectly. Believe it or not, my 2019 QS, shifts up cleanly at low revs from 1st to 2nd and up through the box... Specially glorious when accelerating, hard on the gas :)
    brunosac and 1coolbanana like this.
  3. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    The more revs, the better. On downshifts, you need to be below a certain rev limit as to not grenade the engine.
  4. ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN

ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used a QS on sport bikes during track days primarily. Not sure how much I'll use it on this one.
  5. Hornblower

Hornblower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe mine is still not working 100% but more revs definitely doesn't make it shift better. When QS was first enabled by my dealer, this is what he told me as well but it was more like speed shifting which doesn't even require electronic QS. After that, I went to another dealer to get it working better and with KTM's technical help, they got it working satisfactorily. Still, shifting in the lower gears isn't completely smooth but downshifting is great and, of course, using QS off road is fantastic.
    braaap! likes this.
  6. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tech told me when I bought the bike that if not setup properly (by them) it was crap, he spent a bit of time and mine was great......until it was serviced and dash replaced and now its not so great.
    Will get them to sort out next visit.
  7. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've clumsily banged down 2 gears and had the rear lock up and step out big time, just caught it with the clutch. Gearbox still works though :)
    As Clarkson has said, 'a little bit of poo came out'.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  8. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the QS. Between it and the slipper clutch I can get pretty aggressive and still keep the bike rubber side down.

At the end of the day it’s just another tool in my toolbox.
    JP4, TrailTrauma and BobcatSig like this.
  9. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket 60% of the time I'm right every time

Oddometer:
    I just had my 1000km service a month ago and bought the QS. Was a little skeptical at first but powering up and shifting changed my mind pretty quick. For me its smooth and going up or down is easy.
    I give it a thumbs up.
    TrailTrauma, JP4 and BobcatSig like this.
  10. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Exactly. For me it's not an either or thing. While I use it intermittently on the road, off road I use the QS almost exclusively. I ride off road standing up most of the time, and it's nice to be able to just click through the gears, especially when I inevitably find myself coming into a slippery corner too hot.
  11. railduke82

railduke82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The quick-shift doesn't show on my dashboard menu. Supposedly the dealer downloaded the software. I've shifted it up and down without the clutch and it's clunky at times. I had a Tuono with a quick-shifter that was smooth as butter. I'm wondering if it's even installed and I'm just banging the gears like a dirt bike?
    JETalmage likes this.
  12. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clunky in what gears and at what RPM? I find 1 -> 2 clunky mostly due to the RPM difference between the two gears. From 3rd and up is fine, especially when shifting under load at higher RPMs (4K or higher). Downshifting seems to be smoother at lower RPMs. I use it for upshifting much more than I do for downshifting, but that's probably just the way I ride. I haven't ridden another 790 so can't say if my bike is typical or different.
  13. MondayDad

MondayDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Signed a sales order for a 790 R 3 weeks ago. Options: QS and Cruise. Dealer says that QS can't be installed using their tool. After LOTS of back and forth with me and their support (?), this has been confirmed by a KTM TSB for that bike (doesn't apply to Rally) that I have a copy of, dated April 15, 2020. With everybody in Europe on holiday right now, there's NOTHING they can do about it, and no timeframe for a resolution per KTM Customer Service (Manager) directly to me. That sucks. The only thing that would suck worse is having taken delivery and not be able to ride it because everything is shut down. So right now I have a deposit on a bike sitting in the showroom that the dealer can't sell to someone else and can't deliver to me. I'm assuming he's paying floorplan on it. Nobody happy here.
  14. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Are you saying you have a bike that 'could' be delivered but you're refusing it because the dealer cannot activate the QS? No matter what, if you have a bike at the daler that is perfectly good to ride save the nanny aids, then pay for it, and ride away and activate everything else another time.
  15. railduke82

railduke82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All gears under varying rpm. Just got back testing it again and it actually missed a upshift 3 times making the engine rev and then staying in the lower gear. I'm not going to use it anymore until I get it back to the dealer at 600 miles. On the plus side I just ran it offroad with the rally throttle...very responsive!
  16. Mikkoyli

Mikkoyli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have Rally and QS is not visible in the dash menu. CC is not working or visible in menu and I was told it is related to new model dash which has not compatible software yet. I believe QS is working as downshifting goes fine and bike increases revs when downshifting. Upshifting is not that smooth. Small gears I think are ok but 4-5-6 especially 5th is not always going on.
  17. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had that issue and it’s lack of follow through with your foot. You’re pulling up far enough to trip the sensor and cut the throttle so you think you’re shifting, but not far enough to mechanically shift the transmission. You end up in neutral or still in the same gear.

Pull up harder and further.
    marchyman and TrailTrauma like this.
  18. Mikkoyli

Mikkoyli Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Flatroads

Flatroads Somnambulist Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2020 R does not have QS in the menu. I’ve already had my first service done. I’m not sure if it was present prior to that service as it wasn’t a feature of interest to me, but reading this thread made me curious. I do have working CC, so I’ve got that going for me. :ear
  20. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who is your dealer here in FL?