790 Adventure/R - Air Filters

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by SEK_Nick, Oct 28, 2019.

1. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my first ADV bike (KLR650), I ran a K&N re-usable paper filter; never had a foam filter for it. Most of the guys I ride with would poo-poo the K&N, saying foam is the only way to go.

Fast forward to my 790 Adventure R, with a stock paper filter and a PowerParts catalog number for a foam filter.

I picked up the foam filter, air filter oil, etc, and proceeded to try to figure out how to oil the filter. Watching some youtube videos showed completely saturating the filter, then squeezing it out.

Trying to do so was a huge pain in the a$$ because of the hard rubber suround. I couldn't squeeze enough oil out. I thought I'd gotten enough, but the next morning there was about 3-4oz of air filter oil on the garage floor! Obviously it wasn't right, so I switched back to the paper and cleaned up the mess.

Between rides I've been blowing the filter clean-towards-dirty with compressed air, but not really being a 'reusable' filter, I'm worried about doing that for very long. I couldn't find any maintenance information in the manual about cleaning/replacing the air filter.

So, this story brings me to the point of the thread:

What are other 790 ADV owners doing with air filters?

If you bought the foam, how are you ensuring it's properly oiled? As a person never having used foam before, how do I know what "properly oiled" is/looks like?

Or maybe you went with the K&N KT-7918? It's listed as the Duke 790 but I'm guessing it fits?

Or have you been cleaning and/or replacing the stock paper filter?
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    You never owned a 2-stroke, I take it.

When I had my 300xc I went to a restaurant supply place and bought 2 stainless steel covered containers, similar to what you might find at a buffet. One I filled with filter oil, and the other with turpentine. I'd clean the filter in the turps first, and then oil it well. Next I had the oil bin situated on my bench in such a spot that I could hang the filter from a wire hanging from a cupboard handle. There it would hang all night, slowly draining excess oil into the bin. The next day I would wipe away any oil I needed to if any, and install. Then I'd place the SS lids on, and stack the bins and push them to the side.
    dtaski likes this.
  3. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same thing happen on my 1190 with the Powercell pod filters and the Unifilter filter oil. I don’t know what type of filter oil you used but a filter oil like Bel-Ray or Twin Air goes on like water but then it’s tacks up after it evaporates a little while you work it into the filter.
  4. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    To the op, are you sure the PowerParts filter foam doesn’t come out of the rubber housing for cleaning and oiling? I have a Unifilter for my R and the two foam pieces come out of the rubber housing making cleaning and re-oiling easy. Just slip the foam pieces back into the housing and then install the filter.
  5. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    AU 790's came delivered with the OEM filter... A couple of weeks later, a Unifilter arrived by courier at no charge plus a spare set of foams!

Unifilters Spare.jpg

For mine, No Toil aerosol oil plus biodegradable soap to wash out... Not that keen (environmentally) on turps / petrol to wash filters clean.

YRMV
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the UNI filter in the powerparts catalog is a one piece design and the filter direct from UNI can be disassembled.
  7. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have two big bucket in my garage. One with a deep layer of filter oil, the other used for cleaning. I don't remember what product I use, but I just pour cleaner on the foam, squeeze it until it's clean using bucket one to catch the crap. I then dry the filter for a bit. When the solvent is all evaporated, I put it inside the second bucket, saturate with oil, squeeze it and suspend it to drip. Once it's no longer dripping everywhere it goes into a ziplock bag, ready for use. Wear gloves!

And I work with two filters, there is one on the bike while the other one goes through the cleaning routine.

Well, that was when I had the DRZ. Now that I sold it, I have a clean and oiled filter in a ziplock bag, two buckets, but no motorcycle to mount it on :) Maybe I should buy a couple of foam filters for the DRZ.
  8. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The foam definitely does not come out.

I'll try hanging it up I suppose, that's essentially what happened in the bike that drained all that oil out on to the garage floor.

What happens if there's too much oil in the filter?