790 Adventure R - Front Brake Issue

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by tshansen, Oct 5, 2019.

1. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello inmates.

I have continue my search to find out what is wrong with my front brakes when I wait for answers from my mechanic and from KTM.
    I have double checked that the rotors are Clean and has same amount of play in all directions.

TSH02566.JPG

I had I friend telling me he noticed difference in his breaks in STREET and OFFROAD mode... Like the pulses from the ABS are shorter between on STREET mode.
    For me, I did several test stop's in 40km/h and 60km/h on gravel and tarmac but with the same result. No noticeable difference?

So, is anybody else here having the same issue? can it be more to the brake issue than just F up rotors?

TSH02569.JPG
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I first had the front brake "Pulse" issue at low speeds my dealer cleaned up the rotor surfaces and also resurfaced the pads and the problem completely disappeared for a short time and then returned. Nothing in my case has indicated this is an ABS issue. It seems more like an uneven material build up on the rotors. I've got new pads sitting on the shelf and will probably give them a shot after going over the rotors with a scotchbrite pad and see if the pulse goes away again. If it does and then returns I'll probably look for a single after market rotor and go ahead and use that as an excuse to convert to a single front caliper set-up.
    tshansen likes this.
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Well if its just a pulse that isn't affecting lever travel its likely just bedding. You can fix this by going over the rotor with a scotchbrite and brake cleaner. Then properly bedding the brakes.

The other thing to check is run out, on the 1290s there were manufacturing issues that the surfaces that the rotors mounted to weren't totally parallel to the axis of rotation, this would cause hot spots at a couple of places and a pulse much like you are describing.
    tshansen likes this.
  4. tshansen

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what rotors i should go for and which one fit's the 790?
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    tshansen likes this.
  6. dtaski

dtaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 2300 miles on my R and the pulsing is driving me nuts. Dealer said the rotor is warped , KTM will not replace under warranty. I cleaned the bobbins thoroughly. Pulsing was fixed for about 5 miles of stop / go then came back. I might remove the pads and clean then. Any other suggestions ? ( besides replacing the rotors)
  7. ndavis

ndavis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine are warped bad, dealer can not get replacements so I will keep riding it until they can get replacements.
    Also fuel gauge reads empty all the time now.
    tshansen likes this.
  8. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read that greasing the pins the brake pads are mounted on will help. I notice it on mine mostly at low speed. Low teens. If I release the front brake (around 15 mph) and stop with the rear I don't notice it.
    It's not bothering me enough to change the pads yet, but when I pull the wheel for a new tire I'll put in New pads with harder material and lub the pins at the same time.
    tshansen likes this.
  9. tshansen

Oddometer:
    Mine is getting picked up on Monday. Going to the local shop to get new disc's, pads and break fluid on warranty! Great to have a local shop that support you.
    ibgary likes this.
  10. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I wish I did. Going to borrow a friend's trailer this morning and take it to the nearest qualified dealer 90 minutes drive away for the fuel tank sensor replacement. Probably also have them look into the repeat start problem while they have it.
    tshansen likes this.
  11. hcd

hcd n00b

Oddometer:
    Taking mine next week for the front brake and rally mode stuck 8 slip control, I've got the repeat start too. Service manager sounded disbelieving on the front brake, can't wait to see him come to a slow stop on it.
    ndavis and tshansen like this.
  12. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many miles? I had the false start issue a few times, maybe a dozen or so times. It hasn't happened in about 2 months now. I'm coming up on 9k, my service light came on yesterday, I've started it a few times in the 30s*. The false start just seems to have gone away.
    I'll probably take it in this week for the service and have them check the front brake and mount a new rear tire. I know the service is easy, but over the yrs I've made it a policy to have service done by the dealer while it's under warranty.
  13. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine seems to start on the first try if it's below 50 degrees. I told the dealer to leave it inside overnight before testing.
    windblown101 likes this.
  14. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try banging on the Tank where the fuel level sender is. Happened on the 1X90s sometimes as well. The float just gets stuck.
    ibgary likes this.
  15. ndavis

ndavis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could we spell brake properly in the title of this thread?
    JETalmage, dtaski and comradecasey like this.
  16. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    We could.
    Can you spell brake in Norwegian?
    lithodave, FlyLow, Gaulin and 3 others like this.
  17. tshansen

Oddometer:
    I dont have admin rights. Sorry, my english grammar is poor
    Pipeman, Toddv and ibgary like this.
  18. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @tshansen .... I reckon your english is excellent, have enjoyed your vids and lanscapes :thumbup
    Hope you can get your brakes sorted quickly!
  19. tshansen

Oddometer:
    Thank you :-D English is my second language so there is some grammar and spelling fault, but i think that is part of the charm :p My bike should be back today. I need to get it transported because of the snow and ice here. Will make a quick update video about the changes etc :-) Thank you for the support
    Beshar likes this.
  20. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool, look forward to your update.
    English is my first language and I can’t even spell ‘landscapes’ ;)
    CaseyB and ibgary like this.