790 Adventure R - Front Brake Issue

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by tshansen, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your English is fine, post on ! This isn’t a grammar forum...
    tshansen, ibgary and braaap! like this.
  2. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for wheel mounting instruction. I read the manual, but seem to recall something about it being wrong or missing a step.
  3. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the front rotors replaced 3 times on my 1090R under warranty, the pulsing problem came back each time in less than 10,000 or so kms. The dealer said I was not alone, they had many customers with the same issue. It is bloody annoying that this is still happening on the newer models.
    tshansen, justinope and StanBo like this.
  4. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i've heard about this too... If the problem continues with the new one's i will order other brake disc's. I see Rottweiler sell's some rugged ones.
  5. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to make sure it's the rotor before I replace them (with something different). That's why I want the remount the wheel, today if it warms up. Can't ride, still have over an inch of ice on the street. Steel ruller shows they are flat. On my bike it's very minor and I only notice it when slowing to a stop.
    tshansen likes this.
  6. tshansen

Oddometer:
    I think mine was a mm thinner on one of the side's.. have to check up with my mechanic again to be sure, but that is what i got out of our last talk.
    ibgary likes this.
  7. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dealer called yesterday and said KTM denied the claim.
    Now in my experience, 30+ yrs of riding ~300k miles, 8 bikes and 7 yrs of teaching motorcycle classes, I've previously seen one warped rotor, which Harley replaced under warranty. IMO this (warped rotors on a 5 month old bike) is clearly a manufacturer defect.
    Yesterday a sent an email to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and suggested there was a safety issue that might warrant an investigation for recall. I hope if your having this issue you will do the same.
    On the good side, the dealer said I could buy new rotors at cost. I'm looking for an aftermarket replacement. I don't want to put on the same rotors and find them warped by mid summer. Probably won't buy another KTM if they don't stand behind the warranty.
    lithodave likes this.
  8. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put these: http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/braketech-ktm-1050-1290-790-adventure-front-rotors/ on rather than buying Brembos or Galfers for a similar price.

They're fantastic and solved my self-inflicted warped / dinged rotors on my 1290 SAR. Their floating bobbin system is a far better design than what is on the Brembos / Galfers. Should hold up to my winter riding for far longer.
    ibgary likes this.
  9. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll give it a look.
  10. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our dealer says “They all do that.” He rides them out of the crate.

Disheartening. Sounds like design issue.
  11. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Putting on new pads today, SBC. I'll keep the 6 month old ones. If the problem is still there I'll look for new rotors. Warping is not a wear issue. Warping is a defect. Wear or thinning of the rotor is wear. I replaced the front rotor on the last bike at about 50k smilies. When replacing the pads I noticed the disc was thinner, so I replaced it.
    CaseyB likes this.
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope that statement was followed up with "so we will keep hammering KTM for replacements until they get it right"
    lithodave and BobcatSig like this.
  13. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still undecided about their support. No complaints so far. Overall they are an outstanding dealer. I have started to have more issues with my front brakes pulsing. It's getting worse and starting to exhibit itself at hard braking. A friend has a 790R and the dealer has ordered new rotors for him. I'm about to take mine in for it's 9000 mile service. I'll see what happens. I expect they will do the right thing.
  14. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems to depend on the country. Anyone in the US had theirs replaced under warranty?
  15. Sfcootz

Sfcootz fap:hoon Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My fuel gauge had that issue. Replaced under warranty, no miss, no fuss.

My bike has started and shut off in cold mornings when the gas level is very low. That's the only time I have had the issue.

Back to brakes: my right rotor was wobbly (discovered during a tire change) and it was also replaced under warranty.

So far I've been very happy with KTM and the warranty repairs needed have been easy to have done.
  16. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s a pretty smart idea! If the NTSB gets enough complaints and investigates they could force KTM to recall the rotors and then we could stick it to KTM for sticking it to us and denying all of the rotor warranty claims.
    tshansen and ibgary like this.
  17. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM accepted the warranty claim today. Persistence pays off I guess.
    Credit goes to Elite KTM.
    After talking to Elite' s mechanic and service manager yesterday, I called KTM customer service asking why the warranty claim submitted by the dealer had been denied. Today they spoke with the service manager and then called to inform me the rotors would be replaced under warranty.
    If your bike is developing this problem, let your dealer know about and have the rotors checked.
    tshansen and hcd like this.
  18. dtaski

dtaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear ! My warranty claim was declined twice by KTM. I'll try another Dealer (100miles away) later this week. I'm taking it in for a minor oil leak and leaking rear shock.
  19. tshansen

Oddometer:
    Really glad to hear this :-D About time i say!
  20. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Call KTM North America first and ask them why your claim was denied
    dtaski likes this.